Welcome Anonymous !

Everything you need to modify your ride

ECU - OBDII DTCs and PIDs

GM Lan Single Wire CAN Bus Sniffing

Discuss Diagnostic Trouble Codes and Parameter IDs for the Holden VE Commodore, VEII Series Commodores, and HSV E1, E2, and E3 models

Postby jezzab » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:05 pm

Had a play and made up a cable etc. Hacked the code up a bit just to display the output of the steering wheel controls to the serial port debugger.

Works well reading ;)

Still cant get it to output anything to the Cluster DIC yet though :(

EDIT: I can get it to display but it seems to only change if im scrolling the wheel while the head unit is sending packets (like moving the radio volume knob and the scroll wheel on the steering wheel at the same time

EDIT2: If i plug it into an old VE with no Infotainment it shows up on the cluster when i move the wheel... intersting. Suppose I could put my old cluster in and test it.
Daily Ute - 2009 Holden VE SSV Ute Single Turbo (IQ, E3 Cluster, EDI) - 586rwhp
Drag Ute - 2002 Holden VU SS Twin Turbo - 1010rwhp [SOLD]

All VE/VF Module reprogramming. Remote programming with flash box
http://www.facebook.com/jsbperformance
jezzab
Site Admin

Postby msenj » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:34 pm

After profuse explanations, I've just recieved permission from soon-to-be-wife to spend up to $150 on an Arduino and associated bits.

Will place an order with Sparkfun tomorrow.
Assistant banhammer swinger since 2012...
msenj

Postby ghodge » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:41 am

Msenj,

I hope I caught you before you ordered but here's an Australian source for both boards:

http://www.oceancontrols.com.au/Arduino.html?page=2

msenj wrote:After profuse explanations, I've just recieved permission from soon-to-be-wife to spend up to $150 on an Arduino and associated bits.

Will place an order with Sparkfun tomorrow.
2009 Pontiac G8 GT. Solo cat back exhaust, Rotofab intake, HSRK, VMS tune, Lovells Eliminator struts/shocks springs, Pedders sway bars, long-gone Spohn front LCAs, GPS center stack trim.
ghodge
Starting Ignition

Postby ghodge » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:46 am

jezzab,

You don't mess around. How have you modified the code so far? I don't remember seeing the behavior that you're experiencing. I do remember that the code tries to keep track of what source selection has been made on the radio and only act when Rear Aux was selected last.

George
2009 Pontiac G8 GT. Solo cat back exhaust, Rotofab intake, HSRK, VMS tune, Lovells Eliminator struts/shocks springs, Pedders sway bars, long-gone Spohn front LCAs, GPS center stack trim.
ghodge
Starting Ignition

Postby jezzab » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:25 pm

ghodge wrote:jezzab,

You don't mess around. How have you modified the code so far? I don't remember seeing the behavior that you're experiencing. I do remember that the code tries to keep track of what source selection has been made on the radio and only act when Rear Aux was selected last.

George

Its just a real quick hack job to make sure i could see the scroll wheel being moved and see if the DIC works. Im still having dramas with the DIC. it appears that something isnt being sent to it to tell it to start listening. If i send anything it just does nothing. If i use the head unit while sending something then it will pick up the packets (if im quick enough lol)

But if I plug it into an older model the DIC changes to ScrUp ScrDwn while I move the scroll wheel and then is overwritten by the radio text. So those ones seem to display as soon as you send a packet to them

So it sounds like im hacking on my own once again lol!

jezzab
Site Admin

Postby ghodge » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:14 pm

Is this a benchtop setup that you have or is this in-car experimentation? In my travels there has been discussion of "waking" nodes up before communication could begin. Since I did all my experimentation in-car, I never had to deal with that issue. Of course things working with one head unit but not another in your case is baffling.
ghodge
Starting Ignition

Postby msenj » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:42 pm

ghodge wrote:Msenj,

I hope I caught you before you ordered but here's an Australian source for both boards:

http://www.oceancontrols.com.au/Arduino.html?page=2

Thanks George, but I already looked at Ocean - I used to buy PIR sensors from them by the thousands when I was at my last job.

I'm getting more than just the boards specific to this (and some non Arduino stuff too) as I'd like to try out a few other things at the same time. Also, I'm about to go on my honeymoon, so it's not like I'm gonna notice the extra shipping time :D
Assistant banhammer swinger since 2012...
msenj

Postby jezzab » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:00 pm

ghodge wrote:Is this a benchtop setup that you have or is this in-car experimentation? In my travels there has been discussion of "waking" nodes up before communication could begin. Since I did all my experimentation in-car, I never had to deal with that issue. Of course things working with one head unit but not another in your case is baffling.

It's in car. I've tried waking the network up and it blanks the text (which might come in handy later). I'll keep playing.

It's a MY9.5 VE Ute with a MY11 HSV E3 dash cluster. Ill try the original cluster and see how it goes. If its no good its either the way VDO read the packets and are not as tollerant as the Arrow clsuters in the ealier models or its the radio version (mines a later one than most guys on here too)

jezzab
Site Admin

Postby ghodge » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:35 pm

Congratulations msenj. Enjoy yourself and we'll try to have everything figured out by time you get back :D .

jezzab, I'm sorry that I didn't remember that you had that HSV E3 cluster. You are truly on your own. I guess that's one good thing about us getting a limited run in the US.
ghodge
Starting Ignition

Postby tmk » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:48 am

Howdy - New around here but old to GM LAN.

I did a bunch of hacking with the G8 about a year and a half ago - built an integrated ipod adapter. Helped ghodge with some of his work. http://gmlanhack.blogspot.com

Be more then willing to help out and share anything I have done here. I have an 08 G8 GT, and a bunch of GM LAN log file from when I was doing the ipod work. Can always get more too, plus I can test GM lan messages via the CAN shield and arduino setup I have. Some GREAT work happening here.

TMK
tmk
Starting Ignition

PreviousNext

Return to ECU - OBDII DTCs and PIDs

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts