Welcome Anonymous !

Everything you need to modify your ride

ECU - OBDII DTCs and PIDs

GM Lan Single Wire CAN Bus Sniffing

Discuss Diagnostic Trouble Codes and Parameter IDs for the Holden VE Commodore, VEII Series Commodores, and HSV E1, E2, and E3 models

Postby darkknightwong » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:45 am

velj wrote:never looked into this stuff befor and now i have, its gotten me excited, even tho im like years to later haha,
looking into getting the can bus shield off sparkfun, but dont no what one to get, there is either this one or there is this kit, from what i read it basicly does the same, what should i get? thanks guys.
also what else do i need to get apart from the obd2 cable
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10769 or
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10039
also found this i like the idea of the lcd :D
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/130937500143 ... 1438.l2649

hopefully by doing this il be able to make a add on so that i can have my phone connect to my headunit wirelessly stream music to it and so on also to use the steering wheel controls ect,

thanks
Daniel

Hi Daniel

Im in the same situation as you. Im not sure what hardware to order to get started with.

Did you figure out what to order ?

I was thinking about the Arduino Uno and the Canshield from sparkfun, but I want to make sure that what I need :-)

Cant wait to get started for sure!

Thanks,
Allen
darkknightwong
Newbie Modder

Postby tiburon » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:42 am

This thread seems to be pretty quiet recently. Maybe they got everything figured out and moved on to other projects or maybe the men in black suits from GM showed up at their front doors and dragged them off. :) I picked up the Can Shield from Sparkfun and I am using a netduino which is similar to an ardunio. Let me know if you pick one up and what modification you make to the can shield to get it working. I need to solder the the header pins onto the can shield board (don't forget to buy these as well). Once I get a chance to do that I need to figure out the exact modifications to the can shield to get it to work.
tiburon
Newbie Modder

Postby jezzab » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:06 am

tiburon wrote:This thread seems to be pretty quiet recently. Maybe they got everything figured out and moved on to other projects or maybe the men in black suits from GM showed up at their front doors and dragged them off. :) I picked up the Can Shield from Sparkfun and I am using a netduino which is similar to an ardunio. Let me know if you pick one up and what modification you make to the can shield to get it working. I need to solder the the header pins onto the can shield board (don't forget to buy these as well). Once I get a chance to do that I need to figure out the exact modifications to the can shield to get it to work.

Kinda moved on yeah and havent used an Adruino in a loooooong time. No black suits though. Now days im mainly working with 11bit LS/HSCAN and a LPC1788 microprocessor to program modules and change settings etc with software ive written. I don't do much 29bit anymore. Or for logging and simulating I use a neoVI red and Vehicle Spy Pro
Daily Ute - 2009 Holden VE SSV Ute Single Turbo (IQ, E3 Cluster, EDI) - 586rwhp
Drag Ute - 2002 Holden VU SS Twin Turbo - 1010rwhp [SOLD]

All VE/VF Module reprogramming. Remote programming with flash box
http://www.facebook.com/jsbperformance
jezzab
Site Admin

Postby tiburon » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:12 am

What's the difference between 11 bit and 29 bit? (besides 18 bits :) ) is 11 bit just a different implementation of the same thing but a different vehicle using a slightly different spec or are you accessing different functionality?
tiburon
Newbie Modder

Postby jezzab » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:00 pm

tiburon wrote:What's the difference between 11 bit and 29 bit? (besides 18 bits :) ) is 11 bit just a different implementation of the same thing but a different vehicle using a slightly different spec or are you accessing different functionality?

Think of all 29bit comms as you listening to all of the devices (crowded room) as they send out their info. Sure you can spoof a packet and get a module to do something for a moment (make a chime, lock doors, etc)

11bit is like talking one on one to the module. You ask it a question and it only replies back to you. You tell it to do something and it will, if you send it right. You tell it to change its internal settings and config and it will change them permanently. You send it a file the right way it will flash its own "firmware" things like that :) So you dont have to pull things apart and flash EEPROMs to change the VIN and things like that. You just tell it to do it ;)

Think Tech2/SPS and tis2web style but not limited by GM's implementations

jezzab
Site Admin

Postby csctech » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:58 am

Great job on the GMLan Bible , lots of useful info. Is it downloadable , or is it ment to be used online only . Tried download as xlsx file but wont open without errors in Office/excel 2010
csctech
Newbie Modder

Postby foxdie » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:34 am

csctech wrote:Great job on the GMLan Bible , lots of useful info. Is it downloadable , or is it ment to be used online only . Tried download as xlsx file but wont open without errors in Office/excel 2010

Hi there and thanks.

The GMLan Bible is a constant work in progress (although granted, no information has been added in recent months as no ones requested anything ;)) and so it's considered to be an online resource only. Because of this, we can't offer support for getting it to work with MS Office nor any other spreadsheet / software suite.

That said, we're not against you doing that (providing proper credit is given) so if you can find a way to make it work then kudos :)
Jason "Foxdie" Gaunt
Sting Red 2007 LS2 Vauxhall VXR8, Walkinshaw Performance power pack, lowered springs, 20" Lenso CQ4 alloys :D
Co-curator of the GMLAN Bible - http://is.gd/gmlanbible
foxdie

Postby csctech » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:20 am

I am wondering if anyone has tried to capture the tech 2 output sequence to trigger a radio vin relearn , i am using an elm327 based tool modified with a single wire NCV7356 . seems to compunicate ok ... My question is .. Does the radio require a seed/key to unlock it first before it will accept that type of control?
csctech
Newbie Modder

Postby jezzab » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:07 am

csctech wrote:I am wondering if anyone has tried to capture the tech 2 output sequence to trigger a radio vin relearn , i am using an elm327 based tool modified with a single wire NCV7356 . seems to compunicate ok ... My question is .. Does the radio require a seed/key to unlock it first before it will accept that type of control?

Yes it does

jezzab
Site Admin

Postby csctech » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:41 pm

Thankyou jezzab ... I am thinking about the only way to get the seed is to try a routine like this one for the Power train modules .
http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic. ... 1&start=10

I think this could be quite a task , Just trying to install a NAV Radio in a truck that didn't have one .I know you can send tham in to get unlocked but thought it would be interesting to try myself .(local GM Dealer says it cant be done )
csctech
Newbie Modder

PreviousNext

Return to ECU - OBDII DTCs and PIDs

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts