Welcome Anonymous !

Everything you need to modify your ride

ECU - OBDII DTCs and PIDs

E38 ECU in a swap - How to wire VSS

Discuss Diagnostic Trouble Codes and Parameter IDs for the Holden VE Commodore, VEII Series Commodores, and HSV E1, E2, and E3 models

Postby SteveE » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:58 am

Hi Guys,
I am swapping an L76 manual into a 2001 BMW e46 coupe and I'm having some challenges getting acess to technical drawings and information. Ideally i would like to have the VSS and cruise functioning. That's what the thread is about- How best to wire up the E38 and integrate the electrics properly.
Motor and car.JPG

This is the setup:-
6.0Litre, L92 stock heads, No DOD , Mild Cam, TR6060 (although the labels on the gearbox say TUET 7000), Engine management is with the stock e38 ecu (serial number 12625455). and will tuned with HPtuners-NGK AFx.

The BMW's wiring and controls will remain largely in place including its ECU. This is to preserve the BMW Can-bus system and functionality like security, climate control, dash, ABS, stability .......

The L76's ECU will be relatively stand alone from the BMW, although there will be some X-connection. For example, signals like the following will be supplied/controlled from the BMW's wiring / relays: Ignition on, starter motor, fuel pump, A/C compressor, cooling fan, brake and clutch pedal.

The harness is stock, and I'm currently modifying it. My specific concerns that i would like guidance with are:-
1. VSS source. The wiring to pins 71 and 72 of the X1 (black connector) is with twisted strands from a can signal. There is no provision VSS from my gearbox and from what i can gather so far, the stock set up in a Commodore looks to be that the pulses come from the ABS signal via some of the body modules; which i currently do not have - i only have the engine computer. So the first question is how do i get a readable VSS signal?
If it is BMW's ABS to GM body module(s) to E38:-
-What are the requirements? What gear do i need?
-Any practical hints?
-Can anyone point me to drawings/schematics?

2. Cruise. What options are there?
So far, i can see two viable possibilities:-
a. A stand alone system that interfaces with the accelerator pedal plug.
b. Reconfigure the stock set up (Can-bus, switching stalk, body modules.......) - Again, can anyone point me to drawings/schematics? And there is also a concern about the coding of the GM modules (I've read that all of the modules need to come from the same car, else a trip to the dealer is required to code them all together)- anyone know about that?

3. Flash. For the HP tuners, what car should this be flashed as. Is it best to keep the Commodore or is another platform better for some reason?

Any other ideas and watch-outs would also be very welcome.

Thanks in advance for your help guys.

Steve E
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SteveE
Newbie Modder

Postby odysseyjr » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:23 am

Hey did you ever figure anything out? If not the VSS does go to 71 and 72 as you had mentioned. The E38 has an output wire for speed which is pin 57 on the same Black X1 connector
odysseyjr
Kicking Tyres

Postby SteveE » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:33 pm

image.jpg
I made a reluctor & fitted it to the output yoke. Then i got a sensor from the wrecker (from a vx commorrdore auto i think), mounted it and wired it to 71 and 72.
It works.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SteveE
Newbie Modder

Postby doubledip » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:12 am

very cool
good work
doubledip

Return to ECU - OBDII DTCs and PIDs

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts