Welcome Anonymous !

Everything you need to modify your ride

Interior Modifications

BA Falcon Instrument Cluster EEPROM Programming

Specific interior modification information for Ford BA and BF Series Falcons, Fairmonts, Fairlanes, LTD's and FPV models.

Postby TazzI » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:23 am

But theres no alerts,leds,warnings or anything on screen to indicate the fault anyways.

Matts scenario is a very likely possibility.
TazzI

Postby aumatt » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:53 pm

Correct Tazzi, nothing is displayed but Im guessing whenever it is connected to Ford's WDS/IDS and they scan for trouble codes it would come up

Matt
aumatt
Starting Ignition

Postby TazzI » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:41 pm

aumatt wrote:Correct Tazzi, nothing is displayed but Im guessing whenever it is connected to Ford's WDS/IDS and they scan for trouble codes it would come up

Matt

Hahahaha.. that would be an interesting discussion with Ford. Unless they assume thats normal. :lol:
TazzI

Postby Robertau » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:11 pm

I'm Keen to get into this, just got to tool up a little bit with EEPROM reader and a "test" cluster. i have a temp controlled soldering station but thinking the hot air rework is the way to go, but might give it a shot with what i have here first.

Have to get a cheap cluster to play with too, Don't want to mess with my good ones to start with.
Once i have a bit of experience i might play with my good ones, which are BA xr low and Ba xr High series.

Thinking this for the EEPROM reader/ writer
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/271797807209 ... EBIDX%3AIT

I think that one will be suitable, it lists 93CXX as one of the supported chips. likely will need the lead clip to clip to the chip its self as it looks like on the board its set up for a dip package.

any advice and what not will be much appreciated

Just to make sure EEPROM chip is this little one

TIA

Robert
Robertau
Starting Ignition

Postby LangasLS » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:14 pm

I use a fairly large tip on my soldering iron and a pair of fine electronics tweezers to lift the eeprom. A little flux also helps to get the solder flowing quickly. Unfortunately I havn't had any success reading the eeproms with them still on the board - not sure how others have gone?

On my test cluster I have a DIP8 IC socket soldered onto the board and am using a full sized dip8 package eeprom so I can easily remove it, program it and shove it back in.
LangasLS
Starting Ignition

Postby Robertau » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:01 pm

Thanks for the advice that should make it easier with the socket. wouldn't be able to show me a pic of the socket on your board would you? do you source your chips locally?

hopefully be set up to start playing in the next week or 3. will defiantly be sharing the dumps here with all info needed.

just a thought on adding KM to different dumps, do you think it would be practical (not so much practical but would it cause any issues in the rest of the system?) to stick a OBD2 plug on a lead to plug into the cluster and run it as a secondary one to add say 1km unplug it then take a read of the chip?

Robert
Robertau
Starting Ignition

Postby TazzI » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:03 pm

Robertau wrote:Thanks for the advice that should make it easier with the socket. wouldn't be able to show me a pic of the socket on your board would you? do you source your chips locally?

hopefully be set up to start playing in the next week or 3. will defiantly be sharing the dumps here with all info needed.

just a thought on adding KM to different dumps, do you think it would be practical (not so much practical but would it cause any issues in the rest of the system?) to stick a OBD2 plug on a lead to plug into the cluster and run it as a secondary one to add say 1km unplug it then take a read of the chip?

Robert

I think what your trying to say is, is it possible to run two dashes in a BA/BF ford.

Im pretty such both clusters would output conflicting messages to the car causing a whole bunch of errors to pop up!
But, using just the one cluster, driving a km then reading is fine. Although... a hell of alot of hassle for each read! ;)
TazzI

Postby Robertau » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:00 pm

TazzI wrote:
Robertau wrote:Thanks for the advice that should make it easier with the socket. wouldn't be able to show me a pic of the socket on your board would you? do you source your chips locally?

Robert

I think what your trying to say is, is it possible to run two dashes in a BA/BF ford.

Im pretty such both clusters would output conflicting messages to the car causing a whole bunch of errors to pop up!
But, using just the one cluster, driving a km then reading is fine. Although... a hell of allot of hassle for each read! ;)

Yes, thats what i meant :) I thought that would be the case with the conflicting messages. will see how keen I'm feeling as to doing such small reads. your idea of simulating the right Can data with arduino sounds good or something along those lines.

Ordered a few bits to get tooled up last weekend, bits have started arriving, hopefully have a few more bits tomorrow! but alas i only ordered a cluster today :( so will still be at least next weekend before i can do anything, Don't really want to mess with my good clusters.

Robert
Robertau
Starting Ignition

Postby LangasLS » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:46 pm

Good stuff! Once carmodders uploader is working again, I'll upload a pic of my hacked up 'test' cluster. I havn't had the time to do much more playing with it recently unfortunately.
LangasLS
Starting Ignition

Postby TazzI » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:55 am

Well you have to think about how long it takes to do a 1km and then get home, then do a read, then repeat! Itll work, just slowly!
So if we are in suburbia.. 50km/hr = 0.8333km/min. So Youll need to drive ~40 sec up the road then another 40sec back!. It got to the point I was going to do that in a VX commodore once upon a time.

But yes, simulating the speedo to the cluster is definitely the "better" option if you have the correct tools. ;)
The speedo input to the cluster is sent over CAN. Its not just a simple wire that I can attack with the arduino. Need to simulate the ecu sending messages.

LangasLS wrote:Good stuff! Once carmodders uploader is working again, I'll upload a pic of my hacked up 'test' cluster. I havn't had the time to do much more playing with it recently unfortunately.

I think Matti is away currently, so will have to wait till hes back for a fix
TazzI

PreviousNext

Return to Interior Modifications

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts