Welcome Anonymous !

Everything you need to modify your ride

Interior Modifications

BA Falcon Instrument Cluster EEPROM Programming

Specific interior modification information for Ford BA and BF Series Falcons, Fairmonts, Fairlanes, LTD's and FPV models.

Postby TazzI » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:20 pm

Ahh ok. 2F rings a bell... must be similar to the Holdens.

Anyway, iv been looking into what versions of IDS these VCM2's are stable on. Looks like v86 is pumped out with all of them with some clever patches. Of course the chinese managed to do that. :lol:

But.. theres mixed stories about attempting to use it with the latest version v93. It seems some people can happily use it, and even update their vcm software. Whereas others have struggled to connect after updating, or the firmware update bricks their device. :?

Apparently, v86 is enough until 2012. So will stick with that until I am game enough to try out the latest one incase their are any interesting additions.
TazzI

Postby TazzI » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:05 pm

Alllllrriiiggghhht. BA cluster is here! Ford scantool is here!

Time to see what makes this thing tick :twisted:
TazzI

Postby TazzI » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:58 pm

Cant get this cluster to power up... :?

Based my wiring schematic off of the one on this site. Will double check with the workshop manual....

If anyone can just reconfirm what is needed to power this baby up it would be greatly appreciated!

*Nope.. still not coming online, quadruple checked the connections with the factory manual and it should be the same... looks like Iv been given a broken unit...

Only thing I can think of is if the cluster doesnt wake up unless it receives the correct can data maybe? But I thought I sw a pick of someone just powering it up outside of the car before
TazzI

Postby TazzI » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:02 pm

Somethings got to be wrong with this cluster. Chucked the multimeter on and most pins are at 11-12volts. WTF is going on! How can something be THIS BROKEN!

haha,,, geeez..

Ohhh.. look at that.. a little smd led just came out.... oohhhh I somehow suspect this cluster has been significantly tampered with...
TazzI

Postby TazzI » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:06 pm

LangasLS wrote:Just wacked your 123456 bin onto my test BA cluster and got 249069km (as pictured).

LangasLS, what pins exactly are you hooked up to? Any special requirements?
Spent all afternoon trying t fire it up without any luck.. and about to crack open the unit to see whats really going on inside :cry:
TazzI

Postby TazzI » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:48 pm

Its alive!!!!
:o :o :o :o :o

Resoldered the connector pins and everything seems to be working.
Also put the little led back.. just looks like the shipment combined with dry soldered caused it to just fall off.

All is well back in hacking land 8-)
TazzI

Postby TazzI » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:16 pm

Our first bit of chatter read from the cluster!

553 02 20 80 00 05 67 41 00

Where that 05 67 41 = 354113 = odo value! ;)

As you can see in the image, we are getting alot of "buffer full" messages and this is from the cluster alone! Pretty full on!
But, the counter on the right lets us see what device ID's the cluster is using to broad cast messages.

TazzI

Postby TazzI » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:42 pm

Allllright. So whats happening you might ask?

Right now.. a bit of nothing!!! Iv got IDS up and running, working with the scantool. Great fun. Just might need to get a Ford ECU onto the network since it looks for that when doing some basic reading.

Although for module programming.. its lookin pretty easy!

Have confirmed cluster ID is 720

BEM is 726

ECU is 7E0

Audio is 727

Nooowww... I got to find a part number for an ecu thats suitable for a BA/BF Ghia cluster. Since the ba ecu part numbers Im using are not suitable for the cluster I have. And causes the cluster to through "unsupported" messages

Ahhh got it.. needed to use ecu 3R23-12A650-AH. Then select Fairlane/LTD

*Soooo after some fiddling. Looks like Iv got the hang of IDS.
Now, Iv only investigated the cluster at the moment. But, so far Iv logged and figured out how to read/write:
-police mode
-Fuel body type (multiple responses here.. could do a custom calibration if wanted!)
-Traction control
-Police mode adjust
-Odo programming
+ whatever else was in there.
TazzI

Postby TazzI » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:02 am

FMP is $30 for 72hours.... just wish I knew if it was really worth checking out! From what Iv read, FMP has pretty much the same programming options as IDS. Although Im using an old version of IDS so whoooooo knows?

Alot of other features require an ECU hooked up, as IDS polls the ecu before continuing onto the next section. This includes performing diagnostic requests on all modules ect. So Im going to either need a FORD ecu or I need to mimic back some frames!

Also.. did anyone else know these clusters can be.. unlocked? ;)

Next on the list, is to get some raw chatter reads from a BA/BF Ford so this information can be sent to the cluster.. and see if we can control the dials from this.
Orrr.. if someone is willing to send a few messages to their car?! Just simple ECU requests asking the ECU the status of various bits and pieces (eg if ignition is on, if there are faults) ect.
TazzI

Postby aumatt » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:56 am

Nice work, not sure what you mean by unlocked.

The body fuel map setting has always intrigued me as its multi line and I know it can be programmed but could never get multi line stuff to work on an elm.

Shift alert is an option that is available in bf but I think only shows up on ids when you have an fpv vehicle. I've always wanted to be able to change the rpm where it engages but not being able to get the cluster on the bench to actually register any rpm inputs meant I couldn't test.

Matt
aumatt
Starting Ignition

PreviousNext

Return to Interior Modifications

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts