Welcome Anonymous !

Everything you need to modify your ride

Interior Modifications

BA Falcon Instrument Cluster EEPROM Programming

Specific interior modification information for Ford BA and BF Series Falcons, Fairmonts, Fairlanes, LTD's and FPV models.

Postby TazzI » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:06 am

Lesson learnt.. changing the CD stacker (Complete unit) causes screen to go black. Just a word of warning to everyone!

After powering up some other units, I think your right aumatt, Must be losing my mind since it hasnt changed.
TazzI

Postby Robertau » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:28 pm

TazzI wrote:
Robertau wrote:Those premium ICC's do look sweet hey, the one i have came out of a BF Fairlane so is piano black.

Ahhh they look good.
I have the molten silver (I think thats its name). It matches the silver inserts on the passenger and drivers side. Ill grab some pics later.
On a side note, any clue how to use the rear video input? Does it instantly display when you input a signal, or do you need to click a button?

molten or liquid silver or something like that, mine ended up painted gloss black to match the ICC as close as i could, then didnt like the look so changed to the Graphite colour ones with the gloss black vents.

I think the video is switched automatically when it gets signal. there is a Doco on ford mods about making a cable that hooks to a laptop but needed certain video cards.

here's the link to the icc video input
http://www.fordmods.com/ford-technical- ... -input-d38

Rob
Robertau
Starting Ignition

Postby TazzI » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:35 am

Robertau wrote:molten or liquid silver or something like that, mine ended up painted gloss black to match the ICC as close as i could, then didnt like the look so changed to the Graphite colour ones with the gloss black vents.

I think the video is switched automatically when it gets signal. there is a Doco on ford mods about making a cable that hooks to a laptop but needed certain video cards.

here's the link to the icc video input
http://www.fordmods.com/ford-technical- ... -input-d38

Rob

Yeah I pretty happy with the molten silver. Goes well with the silver inserts to the left/right of it.
Fixed a few 6stackers now so feeling pretty confident with them. Only a billion tiny screws :lol:

I figured that must be the case. So Ill have to manually enable/disable the video to turn off/on... riiigghhhhtttt.

I was hoping to steer away from a carpc.Simply because it gets too expensive too quickly, plus loading times of the PC is slow unless using a high grade pc, SSD and top ram.

Currently looking into something a bit more simple using a microcontroller and reverse camera. Just want to have the reverse camera display when put into reverse, and then back to main screen after going to drive or any other gear.

The hardest part... it find a device suitable for outputting rbgs. The fordmod doco assumes using an oldschool with vga output. So Im going to have to find a suitable converter.
TazzI

Postby Robertau » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:59 pm

TazzI wrote:Yeah I pretty happy with the molten silver. Goes well with the silver inserts to the left/right of it.
Fixed a few 6stackers now so feeling pretty confident with them. Only a billion tiny screws :lol:

I figured that must be the case. So Ill have to manually enable/disable the video to turn off/on... riiigghhhhtttt.

I was hoping to steer away from a carpc.Simply because it gets too expensive too quickly, plus loading times of the PC is slow unless using a high grade pc, SSD and top ram.

Currently looking into something a bit more simple using a microcontroller and reverse camera. Just want to have the reverse camera display when put into reverse, and then back to main screen after going to drive or any other gear.

The hardest part... it find a device suitable for outputting rbgs. The fordmod doco assumes using an oldschool with vga output. So Im going to have to find a suitable converter.[/quote]
Robertau
Starting Ignition

Postby Robertau » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:08 pm

TazzI wrote:Yeah I pretty happy with the molten silver. Goes well with the silver inserts to the left/right of it.

Sounds like a photo copier. have you ever attacked one of them? i got the chance once. there's billions in them too.

So what do think the go is with the do not rotate on the icc's? i tipped my old one upside down and still works, still loads cd's sure it still plays them too, it was only a single cd one though. the 6 stacks would have more to move in them.

TazzI wrote:I figured that must be the case. So Ill have to manually enable/disable the video to turn off/on... riiigghhhhtttt.

i thought down that parth, was going to cheap out some how but really CBF if i need a pc in there ill ust throw the laptop in.
TazzI wrote:Currently looking into something a bit more simple using a microcontroller and reverse camera. Just want to have the reverse camera display when put into reverse, and then back to main screen after going to drive or any other gear.

The hardest part... it find a device suitable for outputting rbgs. The fordmod doco assumes using an oldschool with vga output. So Im going to have to find a suitable converter.

Another bloke oin ford mods frankie, at some point i think he was toying with one of these video converters or one along these lines

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Arcade-G ... SwPcVVyDBV

Asl logistics have a few products available that claim to have video conversion, and play ipod video that can also have the reverse camera hooked up.

Camera on Factory Screen (V2) (BA-BF)

http://www.asllogistics.com/catalog/Cam ... -p-26.html

BA501 Video Conversion Kit

http://www.asllogistics.com/catalog/BA5 ... p-219.html

if i hear correctly apparently territories had a converter box in them to switch between the satnav and the reverse camera. ive Never seen one listed anywhere though.

Rob
Robertau
Starting Ignition

Postby TazzI » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:35 pm

Yeah I'm pretty sure I found the exact product that ASL uses, was a NZ product which they install into any/every car and is a revision mirror MMI.

It was either frankie or lukeyson that I saw which used a converter box ($230+ usd!!!) to convert the rear camera input to rgbs.
Sooooo..... That's a tad pricey for just the converter. Will have to look around
TazzI

Postby Robertau » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:53 pm

Long time no action here

Merry Christmas Guys
Robertau
Starting Ignition

Postby GoFastBits » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:17 pm

Hey guys

So after much reading here (tonnes of great info btw!) my main question is can i convert say a fairmont Dualzone cluster into an XR V8 Dualzone cluster? (with the changes to how the trip meter/etc is displayed and able to use the 2 buttons on the side to raise/lower light brightness and also enable the little "reset" button on the ICC (currently does nothing with a standard XR cluster installed)

I've done the DZ conversion a long time ago, wouldn't mind actually putting a matching cluster in setup for a BF V8 with DSC.

With the ODO, did you guys ever figure out which address's actually effect the ODO or is it still effectively "copy the first line" to mirror my current odo (or did you ever pinpoint the DTC's so i could do it how matt suggested, zero it, set it with CAN then wipe the codes?)

In the interest of throwing out ideas, is it possible to read this chip whilst its powered up on an installed-in-car cluster?

I wonder, if you can read it with it powered up in the car, whats stopping someone whose programmer can successfully read "in-circuit" hooking the programmer up to a laptop and just dumping the bin every km and reading the changes, i'd guess that'd help in nutting out the ODO ? (I do about 50km's to work, 100km's round trip every day so ...fair few dumps :P i dont have a programmer yet to attempt any of this, otherwise i'd be willing to dump mine over and over :))

thanks all

ps, i picked up one of those ASL video adapters a while ago off Ebay stupid cheap, think about $40 as the seller had destroyed the plug on the unit (guessing while removing it, just yanking hard, tried to fix it, melted half the plug and socket with a soldering iron it looked like).

Luckily in the broken plug there were enough bits of wire sheath left in there to figure out what wire went where, desoldered the old destroyed socket, soldered the wires directly to the PCB, fixed up the ICC end where that had been cut too. Instant cheap reverse camera (havn't used the switchable AUX video input for anything yet, just the reverse triggered video input)

The ICC switched over to video as soon as it senses a video input, theres no "switch wire" to make it switch, so if you have a converter, you'll need either one with a reverse input trigger or power it off reverse lights otherwise the screen will be on video all the time. The Sync wire is also Sync'ed to Green and the ICC plug side is really easy to find, used on older falcons and toyota's. This is the Tech Doc i used which fixing up my asl unit - http://www.fordmods.com/ford-technical- ... -input-d38 -
GoFastBits
Starting Ignition

Postby TazzI » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:30 am

GoFastBits wrote:Hey guys

So after much reading here (tonnes of great info btw!) my main question is can i convert say a fairmont Dualzone cluster into an XR V8 Dualzone cluster? (with the changes to how the trip meter/etc is displayed and able to use the 2 buttons on the side to raise/lower light brightness and also enable the little "reset" button on the ICC (currently does nothing with a standard XR cluster installed)

I've done the DZ conversion a long time ago, wouldn't mind actually putting a matching cluster in setup for a BF V8 with DSC.

Welcome aboard!

Do you mean the buttons that are actually apart of the cluster? Since they are directly controlled by the cluster? If they are not working, Id double check they are not damaged.

GoFastBits wrote:With the ODO, did you guys ever figure out which address's actually effect the ODO or is it still effectively "copy the first line" to mirror my current odo (or did you ever pinpoint the DTC's so i could do it how matt suggested, zero it, set it with CAN then wipe the codes?)

In the interest of throwing out ideas, is it possible to read this chip whilst its powered up on an installed-in-car cluster?

I wonder, if you can read it with it powered up in the car, whats stopping someone whose programmer can successfully read "in-circuit" hooking the programmer up to a laptop and just dumping the bin every km and reading the changes, i'd guess that'd help in nutting out the ODO ? (I do about 50km's to work, 100km's round trip every day so ...fair few dumps :P i dont have a programmer yet to attempt any of this, otherwise i'd be willing to dump mine over and over :))

The odometer stuff was worked out enough to get by. Although this has not been publicly released. As you can imagine, there will suddenly overnight be a million dodgey ebay services and gumtree services offering to change odometers!.

I guess if someone had enough time to do that, they could!. It is the extremely slow method of doing it though since you would either need to click read while driving.. or stop every km to perform the read!.

GoFastBits wrote:ps, i picked up one of those ASL video adapters a while ago off Ebay stupid cheap, think about $40 as the seller had destroyed the plug on the unit (guessing while removing it, just yanking hard, tried to fix it, melted half the plug and socket with a soldering iron it looked like).

Luckily in the broken plug there were enough bits of wire sheath left in there to figure out what wire went where, desoldered the old destroyed socket, soldered the wires directly to the PCB, fixed up the ICC end where that had been cut too. Instant cheap reverse camera (havn't used the switchable AUX video input for anything yet, just the reverse triggered video input)

The ICC switched over to video as soon as it senses a video input, theres no "switch wire" to make it switch, so if you have a converter, you'll need either one with a reverse input trigger or power it off reverse lights otherwise the screen will be on video all the time. The Sync wire is also Sync'ed to Green and the ICC plug side is really easy to find, used on older falcons and toyota's. This is the Tech Doc i used which fixing up my asl unit - http://www.fordmods.com/ford-technical- ... -input-d38 -

Nice work!

Any chance of some pics of the module? And the insides of its guts?

Iv been toying with stuff on the bench for the colour screen units. All I want is to make a plug and play reverse camera kit!
So far I can detect the reverse gear and all other gears, so I can switch the screen in and out of the video no dramas. (No need for reverse lights and relays there).

I just need to have a suitable converter module to convert the reverse camera input to the RGBS) signal.
Id rather not have to use the $230 module which I found before which appears to work. Need to try out something like a arcade converter although those dont take the required video input! (sigh).

I noticed you said "The Sync wire is also Sync'ed to Green", not quite sure what you mean there?. Most modern RGB plugs have sync on green, but in this circumstance they have the sync separated.

On second look.. maybe... doing something different like composite to vga, then vga to rgbs.. hmmm...
TazzI

Postby GoFastBits » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:47 pm

Do you mean the buttons that are actually apart of the cluster? Since they are directly controlled by the cluster? If they are not working, Id double check they are not damaged.

No no, i meant is it possible to change say a standard singlezone BF XR cluster (with Trip and Brightness hardware buttons) into the type of cluster that would usually be paired with a dualzone system (since the trip buttons are on the ICC, they have 2 brightness up/down buttons rather than a trip button and a brightness button that cycles through brightness presets).

Its basically need to be converted into an FPV style cluster (when it comes to brightness buttons/speedo calibration/etc) though i'd hazard a guess that there is some sort of hardware difference (lcd screens?) between the two?

Mainly i thought you could either have to convert a fairmont cluster by changing the fascia to an XR one and edit the speedo calibration to suit the high speed XR face OR change a setting (if someone has found it in the EEPROM?) in the XR cluster to change what those 2 hardware buttons do (then maybe source a cheap fairmont cluster to steal the correct symbol buttons from and change it over).

Currently, i've just got 2 Trip buttons (one on ICC, one of Cluster) and the tiny tiny reset button on the dualzone ICC next to the trip button (next to the interior light button) does nothing. End of the day its really just a little niggling issue, makes no difference to the car, im just a completionist :P

The odometer stuff was worked out enough to get by. Although this has not been publicly released. As you can imagine, there will suddenly overnight be a million dodgey ebay services and gumtree services offering to change odometers!.

Oh so you guys actually worked out the formula to calculate the ODO? I know AUMatt did (he also gave away how to change it anyway earlier without knowing how to calculate it directly) and i understand the reason for not having it in the wild, besides i've got no real interest in changing any replacement cluster to anything other than what my existing one reads (considering the cars only got about 108k km's and its since been registered in NSW with that odo reading theres really no benefit in changing it to anything other than the proper reading).

What i was really asking is did you narrow down the exact bits that need to be copied over in the EEPROM from one dump to the other or do i just copy the entire first line between dumps still? (or is the entire first line actually the odo storage point?)

Any chance of some pics of the module? And the insides of its guts?

I can do that, i'll need to get it out from under the ICC first though :P

I noticed you said "The Sync wire is also Sync'ed to Green", not quite sure what you mean there?. Most modern RGB plugs have sync on green, but in this circumstance they have the sync separated.

Actually sorry, it is NOT sync to green, its actually a combined horizontal and vertical sync, aka composite sync signal, Though as per the link i posted, you can just wire the H and V sync wires together into the single sync wire on the ICC, its a dirty and noisy way of doing it but it works. I think things like CarPC's come out a little fuzzy and depending on hardware may not even be centered but for reverse cameras its better than good enough
GoFastBits
Starting Ignition

PreviousNext

Return to Interior Modifications

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts