Welcome Anonymous !

Everything you need to modify your ride

Interior Modifications

BA Falcon Instrument Cluster EEPROM Programming

Specific interior modification information for Ford BA and BF Series Falcons, Fairmonts, Fairlanes, LTD's and FPV models.

Postby tim36 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:33 pm

I just had a crack at 'Test set 3' in my BF wagon, which gave me 848829.
tim36
Kicking Tyres

Postby Rerouter » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:24 pm

Seems i failed to account for byte swap... see below
Last edited by Rerouter on Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rerouter
Starting Ignition

Postby Rerouter » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:36 pm

Simple byteswap issue, try this.

This is the original 457... dump modified,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rerouter
Starting Ignition

Postby TazzI » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:04 pm

Nice work rerouter!

Am trying to source out a BA cluster, last one was never sent in ebay.. probably because it went for $9 plus free shipping :lol:

If anyone spots a cheapy on their local gumtree, feel free to let me know!
TazzI

Postby TazzI » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:51 am

Cluster is lined up, thatll be here by next week.

And Im fairly confident on using one of these tools to play with Ford FMP (ford module programming) application as this is meant to be the same as IDS, but can be purchased for a day or 72hours which is much cheaper.

Although... the chinese do have their own.. "edited"... versions of IDS. A couple versions below but could still be suitable if it works correctly.

The first VCMII has a good history and even a previous buyer that used on a BA ford from aussie:
Works great, used to reprogram a Ford BA falcon. quick delivery and well packed.

Sooo Im feeling pretty damn confident on that seller.

Orrrr... there seems to be a miniture version.. or maybe a mongoose ripoff version of the VCM as seen below. Apparently it is just the VCM shrunk down.. but sounds like it does not allow for "every" function, cannot do ecu reprogramming (missng the power supply on required pin) and cannot do some other features.
But I did find this interesting:
OUTCODE is challenge part of CODED PATS challenge-response authentication mechanism. It is 24bit hexadecimal number provided by a control unit. This number changes in time and is used by patscode.com service to calculate INCODE.

So PATS is like an ever changing "seed" which then needs the correct key sent to allow reprogramming of sensitive info like keys.

But looks like this cable is more aimed at being used with "FoCom".. which I havent seen until just now.. would be curious if it works with our aussie fords. Anyways, this cable apparently can be used with IDS ect although I dont hold high hope for that. But there very cheap:

TazzI

Postby TazzI » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:54 am

Oh oh oh, before I forget. We need to add in 120ohm resistors on the CAN bus line to "finish" the connection as this would be missing when out of the car. Will probably need to do this so we can successfully communicate with the clusters without rubbish data.. or even to get any data at all.
TazzI

Postby TazzI » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:07 pm

F*ck it, bit the bullet and bought both. Why not for the price of them. Could by them 3 or more times over before reading the costs of a mongoose.

My BA cluster should be here Monday or Tuesday so Ill be smashing straight into it ;)

See if we cant read out all of the available eeprom info from the CANbus. Even try read out the firmware.. for some custom integration!

If anyone has there cluster apart... anychance you can take some pics of the back of the board. What does the MCU chip say? Are there any "empty" solder points which could look like a Jtag, serial interface?

Also found these interesting youtube vids ;)
Interesting to see that the guages can be manipulated via CAN... but the ODO is not increasing. So Im unsure whether there is a specific message.. or command.. required so that the cluster odo would believe it is working in car.

This stock standard BA ICC is easy enough to do.. just listen into the volume control commands sent over CANbus.. then mimic them back ;)
Would love to see whats on the PCB board here.. possible an SPI interface so we can take complete control over the LCD.
TazzI

Postby aumatt » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:13 am

They are my videos, the cluster is controlled via Diag Messages which are normally used for testing. Where as the ICC one is sending control messages direct to the ICC.

Matt
aumatt
Starting Ignition

Postby TazzI » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:46 pm

aumatt wrote:They are my videos, the cluster is controlled via Diag Messages which are normally used for testing. Where as the ICC one is sending control messages direct to the ICC.

Matt

Ah so you werent sending generic CAN messages normally sent via the car that control the speedo and such? That makes sense to why your odo was not increasing. No worries, that will just be specific mode needed to be used and each byte will control a different section or telltale. ;)
TazzI

Postby aumatt » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:12 pm

Mode 2F :)

Matt
aumatt
Starting Ignition

PreviousNext

Return to Interior Modifications

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts