Welcome Anonymous !

Everything you need to modify your ride

Interior Modifications

FG ICC (Radio) Mods and Hacking

Specific interior modification information for Ford BA and BF Series Falcons, Fairmonts, Fairlanes, LTD's and FPV models.

Postby Robertau » Tue May 16, 2017 6:33 pm

Replying just to follow along
Robertau
Starting Ignition

Postby TazzI » Fri May 19, 2017 12:39 am

A bit of late night researching...

Been nutting out whether to intercept the CAN frames on either HS or MS CAN. I think MS is definitely the way to go.

The HSCAN line is mainly dedicated to critical systems such as ECM,TCM, HVAC, ABS ect.

Whereas MSCAN is less critical systems. The MS line is accessible directly from the ICC, so I think that will be the easiest option.

From reading up on the aircon system, the ICC sends the desired aircon command over MSCAN.. the cluster translates this to HSCAN an sends to the HIM. The HIM then performs the required aircon actions then reports back with its own message over HSCAN to the cluster, then its sent over MSCAN where the ICC picks it up and displays current aircon status on screen.

So... to make a 100% working MK2 ICC aircon control in a MK1, the following needs to be done on MSCAN:
- Record all commands sent from a MK1 FG ICC for aircon controls. Both single and dual zone
- Record all responses sent from the MK1 HIM back to the MK1 ICC.
- Perform the same on MK2 FG.
- Identify difference in frame setup.

This damn can interceptor needs a name, Lets just call it Fred. (Ford Reverse Engineering Developer..or Downunder?)
Essentially whats going to happen in the end, Fred is going to completely isolate the MK2 ICC comms from MK1, it is going to grab the MK2 ICC commands, translate them to MK1 format and shoot them back off into the bus to the cluster. Then the HIM response needs to be translated to MK2 HIM format and sent to the MK2 FG.
TazzI

Postby TazzI » Fri May 19, 2017 12:43 am

Nice list of the features received and transmitted by the HIM. Least that makes a good checklist to ensure all bits and bobs are found.

TazzI

Postby TazzI » Fri May 19, 2017 9:59 am

further reading, the HIM will not perform aircon changes if it detects major issue with the system. So, a bench setup will likely not work correctly.. has to be done in car.

Not too much of an inconvenience.. other than needing an FG. Since all other chatter from the car can easily be filtered out.

So a MK2 HIM is needed for R&D no matter the situation.

Looking on fleabay.. looks like the MK1 HIM's are same for BA/BF's. 'Technically' could use the BA's HIM for starters I guess.. connect in a FG cluster to the circuit and see what pumps out on the MSCAN out of the cluster? Could be a complete waste of time too! (Likely!)
TazzI

Postby fg6e » Fri May 19, 2017 6:36 pm

You cannot use a BA/BF Him module as they have different software to a FG Falcon.

If going to a MK2 icc in a MK1 the MK2 him module actually works to a degree. Most commands work temp fan speed only thing that doesnt work is Auto mode & incorrect temp outside. What i did notice using a MK2 him was in summer with the aircon on and fan on full speed the fan would cut out then kick back in random.

Tazzl any chance of seeing why the icc wont "dim" at night ? from what i can see MK1 cluster might have 2 modes day and night for brightness and MK2 cluster just has the one brightness but i could be wrong. Oh and i have gone back to the MK2 icc due to my phone refusing to connect to the MK1 icc.
fg6e
Starting Ignition

Postby TazzI » Fri May 19, 2017 7:00 pm

I think Im going to need some volunteers to help start decoding FG stuff, going to be extremely difficult without a working car.

All we are going to need is an ELM that has its HSCAN pins put to the MSCAN pins. Most people have an ELM so should be easy enough for anyone to jump in. Will need to be USB to keep up with the speed.
TazzI

Postby TazzI » Fri May 19, 2017 7:05 pm

fg6e wrote:You cannot use a BA/BF Him module as they have different software to a FG Falcon.

If going to a MK2 icc in a MK1 the MK2 him module actually works to a degree. Most commands work temp fan speed only thing that doesnt work is Auto mode & incorrect temp outside. What i did notice using a MK2 him was in summer with the aircon on and fan on full speed the fan would cut out then kick back in random.

Tazzl any chance of seeing why the icc wont "dim" at night ? from what i can see MK1 cluster might have 2 modes day and night for brightness and MK2 cluster just has the one brightness but i could be wrong. Oh and i have gone back to the MK2 icc due to my phone refusing to connect to the MK1 icc.

Huh, strange, factory MK1 FG manual says that a BF and FG MK1 ICC are compatible, it did specifically say dual zone as well.

I assumed since a BF ICC works in a BA.. (Same HIM used) then the HIM must be compatible?

MK2 HIM sounds like a bad option then. Wont even bother considering that then, will continue on the Fred path.

Ahhhh.. so the ICC does have a 'dim' for night mode? Is it when the headlights are turned on? Or it automatically happens?
If the ICC does have it (BA/BFs do.. so an FG should..) then I think we can suss that one out ;)
It will however require nutting out what the command is normally for the MK1's.. and also for the MK2's. Again.. requiring a MK1 and MK2 vehicle.
TazzI

Postby TazzI » Fri May 19, 2017 7:10 pm

fg6e wrote:Tazzl any chance of seeing why the icc wont "dim" at night ?

Covering the light sensor and turning on the lights should be enough hey? I think some of the car yards arnt closed till late tonight... Ill go FG MK2 hunting....
TazzI

Postby fg6e » Fri May 19, 2017 7:50 pm

yes it has a day and night mode. only way to get to "dim" in a mk1 is put the brightness down to 80% issue with this is the screen says dim during the day making it a pain to see. The only compatible him modules are the latest him which have a black casing over the old grey ones. The old BA/BF him are not compatible due to not having FG software in them
fg6e
Starting Ignition

Postby TazzI » Fri May 19, 2017 8:12 pm

Have to manually lower brightness.. thats a pain.

Thanks for that info on the HIM. Stuff like that is not made very clear in the manuals or online.
TazzI

PreviousNext

Return to Interior Modifications

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts