Welcome Anonymous !

Everything you need to modify your ride

Interior Modifications

FG ICC (Radio) Mods and Hacking

Specific interior modification information for Ford BA and BF Series Falcons, Fairmonts, Fairlanes, LTD's and FPV models.

Postby TazzI » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:09 pm

johno1au wrote:Interesting reading about this stuff. I am from ASL so I can add to your discussion.

The FG MK2's can be flashed by the dealers, but they don't like doing it unless they have to as they fail so much. They take normally around 30 minutes to do. If anyone is thinking about getting it done I wouldn't recommend if your unit is working fine. The FPV Guages can be put on any MK2 ICC but it has to the Navigation version, if you don't have Navigation it can't be done. The FGX unit (SYNC2) is a completely different can bus speed from the MK1 and MK2 so unless you know how to change this it is sort of a futile effort. Also the SYNC2 units have 3 different can bus lines running into them which can make it confusing,

We are working on a board that blocks the can bus signals so it will only send the correct signals, I have all the differences between the FG1 and FG2 climate controls, we are just prototyping the board as we speak as it will be used for other projects. we don't really get involved in the FG Mk1 to FG MK2 upgrades and leave that to MR FPV (and to be honest the FG Mk2 screens are unreliable) but this will be a nice starting point. If anyone has our old board when we get our new one going I will be happy to replace for free as long you send back the old one. We need someone to test for us also.

Cheers

Good to see you guys are watching this thread!

I would assume the new version is actually using a dual CAN system to isolate the bus as Iv previously mentioned instead of just injecting a CAN frame like version one?

I don't think the 3 CANbus lines are too much of a problem, JeffDav has managed to get it up and running without any middle man interface which is a good sign! Only a couple little hickups needed to be resolved which can be done after a bit of logging.
Based on the factory manuals, it doesn't indicate a different speed, still indicates standard HS CAN and MS CAN. It does have a module which seems to switch between the CAN lines if thats what you were referring to?

Shame to hear the MK2 screens are unreliable. Will be the first addition into my FG! Have heard alot of people getting white and black screens which is a bit concerning :?

johno1au wrote:It's in prototype state so probably a few months off. It should fix the dual zone climate issue as no unwanted codes will get through but it does need testing I will let you know when it is out. I am unsure how they do it with the ASBUILT DATA but I can get the guages to show on any Navigation Mk2 unit.

Cheers

ASBUILT is essentially just a file indicating the update required, including any DID/configuration changes. I would assume the gauges will be a 'flick of the switch' in DIDs to enable on a nav unit. ;)
TazzI

Postby johno1au » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:06 pm

To answer your question fg6e when it comes to reliability hands down the FG MK1. These are a solid unit. It the Mk2 were more reliable I would say them, but even then the screens are not built very well, the touch panels are very easy to break also on the Mk2's. I never really knew why the climate board effected the dual zone units, but the climate fix was never meant to be released anyhow, i only think it got out as we produced some for Mr FPV and i think he told a few people who then requested it. , That's why we don't offer it. I would wait until we come out with the new fix before changing back, make it a last resort.

Cheers
johno1au
Starting Ignition

Postby johno1au » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:34 pm

TazzI wrote:
johno1au wrote:Interesting reading about this stuff. I am from ASL so I can add to your discussion.

The FG MK2's can be flashed by the dealers, but they don't like doing it unless they have to as they fail so much. They take normally around 30 minutes to do. If anyone is thinking about getting it done I wouldn't recommend if your unit is working fine. The FPV Guages can be put on any MK2 ICC but it has to the Navigation version, if you don't have Navigation it can't be done. The FGX unit (SYNC2) is a completely different can bus speed from the MK1 and MK2 so unless you know how to change this it is sort of a futile effort. Also the SYNC2 units have 3 different can bus lines running into them which can make it confusing,

We are working on a board that blocks the can bus signals so it will only send the correct signals, I have all the differences between the FG1 and FG2 climate controls, we are just prototyping the board as we speak as it will be used for other projects. we don't really get involved in the FG Mk1 to FG MK2 upgrades and leave that to MR FPV (and to be honest the FG Mk2 screens are unreliable) but this will be a nice starting point. If anyone has our old board when we get our new one going I will be happy to replace for free as long you send back the old one. We need someone to test for us also.

Cheers

I would assume the new version is actually using a dual CAN system to isolate the bus as Iv previously mentioned instead of just injecting a CAN frame like version one?

I don't think the 3 CANbus lines are too much of a problem, JeffDav has managed to get it up and running without any middle man interface which is a good sign! Only a couple little hickups needed to be resolved which can be done after a bit of logging.
Based on the factory manuals, it doesn't indicate a different speed, still indicates standard HS CAN and MS CAN. It does have a module which seems to switch between the CAN lines if thats what you were referring to?

Shame to hear the MK2 screens are unreliable. Will be the first addition into my FG! Have heard alot of people getting white and black screens which is a bit concerning :?

johno1au wrote:It's in prototype state so probably a few months off. It should fix the dual zone climate issue as no unwanted codes will get through but it does need testing I will let you know when it is out. I am unsure how they do it with the ASBUILT DATA but I can get the guages to show on any Navigation Mk2 unit.

Cheers

ASBUILT is essentially just a file indicating the update required, including any DID/configuration changes. I would assume the gauges will be a 'flick of the switch' in DIDs to enable on a nav unit. ;)

ASBUILT is essentially just a file indicating the update required, including any DID/configuration changes. I would assume the gauges will be a 'flick of the switch' in DIDs to enable on a nav unit. ;)[/quote]

Yeh I am familiar with the `AS BUILT' file, and I am sure if you have a as built file for the FPV vehicle it should in theory work if you have a Navigation (HIGH spec TFT). I don't enable it with the did's, but I am sure you could do it this way. They do all have the high and low speed lines, but the speed that they run at is different.

I just took a look at JeffDav's setup, I missed it the first look, I actually can't believe the climate controls are working. I need to take another look on Tuesday, I understand why his unit won't switch on but it would be interesting to know if he can change the climate on the actual sync 2 screen instead of the buttons as I believe the minor hiccups are actually pretty major ones as I know the sync 2 screens fairly well. It might be worth us having another look at though.

Cheers
johno1au
Starting Ignition

Postby TazzI » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:55 pm

johno1au wrote:Yeh I am familiar with the `AS BUILT' file, and I am sure if you have a as built file for the FPV vehicle it should in theory work if you have a Navigation (HIGH spec TFT). I don't enable it with the did's, but I am sure you could do it this way. They do all have the high and low speed lines, but the speed that they run at is different.

I just took a look at JeffDav's setup, I missed it the first look, I actually can't believe the climate controls are working. I need to take another look on Tuesday, I understand why his unit won't switch on but it would be interesting to know if he can change the climate on the actual sync 2 screen instead of the buttons as I believe the minor hiccups are actually pretty major ones as I know the sync 2 screens fairly well. It might be worth us having another look at though.

Cheers

Ah ok, its all assumptions for how you guys enable it. If it were me, first bet is to attack with DIDs, next would be calibration changes. Im sure there will be some interesting goodies to look forward to :lol:

Yeah, Im surprised as well!.
But again, the 'different speeds' doesnt make sense since how would JeffDav's unit be functioning in car and communicating canbus commands? Wrong speed = major canbus errors = nothing work.
TazzI

Postby fg6e » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:20 pm

johno1au wrote:To answer your question fg6e when it comes to reliability hands down the FG MK1. These are a solid unit. It the Mk2 were more reliable I would say them, but even then the screens are not built very well, the touch panels are very easy to break also on the Mk2's. I never really knew why the climate board effected the dual zone units, but the climate fix was never meant to be released anyhow, i only think it got out as we produced some for Mr FPV and i think he told a few people who then requested it. , That's why we don't offer it. I would wait until we come out with the new fix before changing back, make it a last resort.

Cheers

Hopefully you guys have it sorted soon. Because i'm ready to throw that MK2 icc out of the window it's come to the point everyday this stupid climate control will just go to HOT and have no control over it besides turning it off. Only advantage of the MK2 icc is the bluetooth streaming & usb. Besides that it's a pain in the ass. I'm tempted to put my old icc back in and get a satnav kit from you guys.
fg6e
Starting Ignition

Postby JeffDav » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:13 pm

johno1au wrote:
TazzI wrote:

Cheers

Cheers

Yeh I am familiar with the `AS BUILT' file, and I am sure if you have a as built file for the FPV vehicle it should in theory work if you have a Navigation (HIGH spec TFT). I don't enable it with the did's, but I am sure you could do it this way. They do all have the high and low speed lines, but the speed that they run at is different.

Cheers[/quote]

Hi Johno,

The onscreen controls are working fine, i noticed the climate control is not quite the same, i believe this is either due to the the outside air reading -11 and the car is trying to use outside are to cool, or it is running in a fail-safe mode like the mk2 him in the mk1 (not modulating to cabin tempreture, just adjusting the flap % based on the set point.
JeffDav
Starting Ignition

Postby johno1au » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:33 pm

Hi Jeff,

So do you currently have this system setup in your car or just on the bench? Do the steering wheel controls work?

Cheers

Johno
johno1au
Starting Ignition

Postby JeffDav » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:59 am

in the car, have everything working except the voice command button as it goes through the instrument cluster and is sent to the icc as a canbus command
JeffDav
Starting Ignition

Postby johno1au » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:27 am

JeffDav wrote:in the car, have everything working except the voice command button as it goes through the instrument cluster and is sent to the icc as a canbus command

Even reverse camera? Is it just the FGX ICC unit you connected or did you have to put in other modules. Where are you located? I would love to have a look. We need to find a solution to all these fg2 screens that are failing. I'm sure I could help you getting it right. If you could email me info@aslautomedia.com.

Cheers

Johno
johno1au
Starting Ignition

Postby TazzI » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:01 am

johno1au wrote:Even reverse camera? Is it just the FGX ICC unit you connected or did you have to put in other modules. Where are you located? I would love to have a look. We need to find a solution to all these fg2 screens that are failing. I'm sure I could help you getting it right. If you could email me info@aslautomedia.com.

Cheers

Johno

Didn't you say there is meant to be a CANBus speed difference? If so.. what d you believe they are meant to be?
The factory workshop manual says they are standard HS and MS can speeds.
I can see the manual being wrong, plus there appears to be no CANbus speed differences as its working in his car.

I would say theres probably about 5-10 commands that need to be resolved, After that, it would be working flawlessly.
TazzI

PreviousNext

Return to Interior Modifications

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts