Welcome Anonymous !

Everything you need to modify your ride

Interior Modifications

HVAC DZ mod - outside temp

Specific interior modification information for Holden Commodore VE and VEII Series Commodores, and HSV E1, E2, and E3 models

Postby pek1973 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:53 am

Guys,

Quick question regarding the dual zone HVAC mod with resistors. Is there any reason why adding the exterior temp sensor and using the resistor mod for sun load/interior temp senor is a bad idea?

I live in Dubai and would like to see the actual outside temp on the headunit but cant get the parts easily to do a full DZ conversion, so fitting all the remainder sensors seem a bit like overkill.

Appreciate the advice.
Chevrolet CR8 (aka HSV E1 Clubsport)
Borla Cat Back Exhaust
VCM CAI
6L80 Deep Sump Mod.
Pat G. Tune
Bilstein B8, Tein S Tech lowered springs, Superpro Strut mount tops
Parrott MKI 9200 Bluetooth
pek1973
Starting Ignition

Postby Morris70 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:32 pm

Not a bad idea, I did the full DZ conversion with all the sensors on a SZ system, and love having the outside air temp function working properly
It's just a bit of a hassle having to run the wires through the firewall and down to the front of the radiator, but not that hard really.
Morris70
Contributor

Postby rwaldram » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:50 pm

Morris70 wrote:Not a bad idea, I did the full DZ conversion with all the sensors on a SZ system, and love having the outside air temp function working properly
It's just a bit of a hassle having to run the wires through the firewall and down to the front of the radiator, but not that hard really.

Hi, I'm in the process of doing this mod along with the IQ unit conversion. I've been fortunate enough to have access to a lot of parts that 'should' make this job easier (I have gained a full series II dash & body loom, dual zone heater box etc) so will literally just gut my ute and fit it all.

The problems I'm coming up to so far is that in the 'how to' section on this site, it tells you to buy an interior ambient temperature sensor (92171917) and shows where to fit it, however on the series II heater box that I have here (already a DZ unit), there is a round sensor already in that location... and to top it off, this part number is actually a square item. The part that the walk through tells you to buy can be seen in the print out I got from Holden, it's up the top (item 24), where as the round one already fitted can be seen at item 1 (scribbled out accidentally).
Furthermore, the walk through doesn't actually say anything about where to, or how to, fit the external ambient temperature sensor (part number 09152245).

Can someone please help me with this?
rwaldram
Kicking Tyres

Postby rwaldram » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:48 pm

Hi again, I've been racking my brains out because something in the walkthrough found here http://www.carmodder.com/view_doc.php?doc_id=70&model_id=19 just doesn't make sense. In the section about the complete Dual Zone conversion, it mentions fitting the internal ambient air temperature to a covered over port that you have to open up... The thing that get's me is, this is a round hole and the sensor that you're required to fit is square...

As shown in the previous diagram supplied from Holden, on the dual (and tri) zone units, there is already an item in this hole as can be seen here (the trumpet looking thing with the convoluted tubing running off it)

I've been back in to Holden today and once again, after initially confusing the hell out of the Spare Parts department guys (due to their diagram showing the sensor, but not showing where it goes), I then spoke to the service manager, he pointed out that on the dash, there are couple of small slits almost level with the steering wheel (shown below)

The square sensor mentioned in the walkthrough is fitted to the back of this, the wiring for it is part of the dash loom and the other end of it attaches to the empty end of the convoluted tubing as shown here

Hope this helps.
rwaldram
Kicking Tyres

Postby silversv6 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:49 pm

rwaldram wrote:Hi again, I've been racking my brains out because something in the walkthrough found here http://www.carmodder.com/view_doc.php?doc_id=70&model_id=19 just doesn't make sense. In the section about the complete Dual Zone conversion, it mentions fitting the internal ambient air temperature to a covered over port that you have to open up..

See, it does make sense. The sensor is outside the border on the HVAC diagram & does have any direct connection to the hvac unit, therefore you should have been sensible enough to work out that it goes "somewhere else", not on the HVAC unit.
This mod has been done numerous amount of times going by that walkthrough without anybody saying it don't make sense. That thread you referred to is for converting SZ to DZ, not fitting the DZ into a different car. Also sometimes square items clip into position, but the actual opening or protrusion may be round, slotted or even oval shape. I hope this makes sense. cheers
silversv6
Major Contributor

Postby rwaldram » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:27 am

silversv6 wrote:See, it does make sense. The sensor is outside the border on the HVAC diagram & does have any direct connection to the hvac unit, therefore you should have been sensible enough to work out that it goes "somewhere else", not on the HVAC unit.

No, it doesn't make sense... and I did not say that I was trying to put it onto the HVAC unit, I said the heaterbox.

In the walk through it shows this large square / rectangular sensor (the internal ambient air temperature sensor that we're talking about is the one in the middle)

and says it has to go into this hole!!

The exact instructions are "The large red circle in the image above is the mounting hole for fitting the Interior Cabin Temperature Sensor.
With non climate control vehicles, this hole will be sealed, and will require cutting a suitable hole to fit the interior cabin temperature sensor.
Once the required hole has been cut, glue the Cabin Temperature Sensor in place."

This is wrong! the 'trumpet' shaped piece that I have shown in my first photo I posted yesterday goes in that position, with the tubing coming off it and going to the air sensor which goes DIRECTLY onto the back of the dash. This is the same if you were modifying the original SZ heaterbox or exchanging it with a Dual or Tri Zone unit.
rwaldram
Kicking Tyres

Return to Interior Modifications

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts