Welcome Anonymous !

Everything you need to modify your ride

Interior Modifications

iq eeprom read problem

Specific interior modification information for Holden Commodore VE and VEII Series Commodores, and HSV E1, E2, and E3 models

Postby boxy8701 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:04 pm

Hi, ive been studying these forums for the last month gathering info to install an iq unit into my s1 clubby. Bought the unit and all the trim inc reverse camera, i made a loom adapter following zerones guide, and finally recieved the programmer friday, thats when the trouble started. Im having some trouble reprogramming my iq vin number, well im having trouble even reading the eeprom. I Stripped the iq unit down, removed the nav board and what I think is the video board leaving the main board in place, I then located the chip marked 24c64 and clipped the test clip on. All plugged in I configured ponyprog as per the instructions to jdm api com1 and probed the port and it was fine. Then hit configure and it passed. But as soon as I hit read I get 'bus busy or hardware error (-11)'. Ive tryed reformatting the old computer so theres nothing but xp and ponyprog on there, still the same, tryed changing the serial to all 4 com ports, still the same. Anyone have any ideas? Ive done a search for that error on the sourceforge forum but cant find anything to help me. This is my first attempt at programming. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
boxy8701
Starting Ignition

Postby LangasLS » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:01 pm

Which programmer are you using?
LangasLS
Starting Ignition

Postby boxy8701 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:24 pm

20141116_191619.jpg
just a serial programmer from ebay.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
boxy8701
Starting Ignition

Postby boxy8701 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:26 pm

I did buy a cheap test clip instead of a 3m one before I read that they are crap. I'm Wondering if that could be the issue?
boxy8701
Starting Ignition

Postby TazzI » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:47 am

boxy8701 wrote:I did buy a cheap test clip instead of a 3m one before I read that they are crap. I'm Wondering if that could be the issue?

The cheapies work.. but after using one for a lengthy amount of time... its sloooooooww. I mean... REAAAALLLLYYYY SLLOOOWWWWWWW.

You have to hold the clip on so perfectly and steady for a lengthy time to get clear read. And when thinking about it.. do you really want to program your expensive headunit with bad data? Simply because you skipped out on buying something a little but more modern and usable?

But youll rather be safe than sorry!
TazzI

Postby TazzI » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:55 am

boxy8701 wrote:Hi, ive been studying these forums for the last month gathering info to install an iq unit into my s1 clubby. Bought the unit and all the trim inc reverse camera, i made a loom adapter following zerones guide, and finally recieved the programmer friday, thats when the trouble started. Im having some trouble reprogramming my iq vin number, well im having trouble even reading the eeprom. I Stripped the iq unit down, removed the nav board and what I think is the video board leaving the main board in place, I then located the chip marked 24c64 and clipped the test clip on. All plugged in I configured ponyprog as per the instructions to jdm api com1 and probed the port and it was fine. Then hit configure and it passed. But as soon as I hit read I get 'bus busy or hardware error (-11)'. Ive tryed reformatting the old computer so theres nothing but xp and ponyprog on there, still the same, tryed changing the serial to all 4 com ports, still the same. Anyone have any ideas? Ive done a search for that error on the sourceforge forum but cant find anything to help me. This is my first attempt at programming. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Alright, Id suggest moving the device from com1. This is generally a printer port (especially if using an old computer). Iv never had an issue if using it.. but for the sake of ticking it off the list, just do it!

Next, the (-11) error occurs when you have a poor connection. I always got it if i had the clip on the wrong way round. Or if I had the eeprom click in the programmer incorrectly.

If you have a clip (hopefully you have destroyed it yet!), you need to make sure you have it wide open and slowly secure it to the eeprom, I use a finger on my other hand to apply light pressure to the top of the clip (where the spring is) so that then clip does not fall off or "clip off", it also helps to prevent damage to the clip since every time it falls off it breaks the clip a little.. till it gets to he point it doesnt actually stay on anymore and you have to hold it on permanently!

Take a picture of every step your doing so we can debug the issue... mainly how you have the clip orientated and where in the programmer slots you have it.

Finally, the programmer could be dodgy from the beginning... for now lets say its not, but if it is, itll be a good chance to move onto something a little better
TazzI

Postby silversv6 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:41 am

If you read hard enough through the forum, you will find that nobody can read/write the IQ eprom without clearing one of the legs off the board or removing it completely. I have a cheap ebay clip & it works perfect. I had to bend the contacts forward slightly, then shave the top off the clip a bit where it clips under the eprom. That section of the clip was too thick to get between the eprom & the board. S1 seem to able to read them on the board no easy....cheers
if the WP post/leg is tied to a power draw you will probably only get a 0000000 reading + some data every now & then.
silversv6
Major Contributor

Postby boxy8701 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:18 am

Thanks for your input gents. I will do a step by step of my process when I get home from work tonight.
Tazzi - I did try changing the serial port to com2, 3 and 4 and got the same error.
Silversv6 - you're saying I need to cut leg 7 of the eeprom to get a clean read? Do I need to resolder it then after its done?
boxy8701
Starting Ignition

Postby silversv6 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:15 pm

Don't CUT the the leg off, just carefully lift it a little from the board. Yes put it back on the board. Prevents the eprom from being corrupted.
silversv6
Major Contributor

Postby doubledip » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:35 pm

when I was actually eeprom reading the IQ units etc... I could read the properly everytime... just need a good quality clip and eeprom programmer....... you get what you pay for..
doubledip

Next

Return to Interior Modifications

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts