Welcome Anonymous !

Everything you need to modify your ride

Interior Modifications

Non Climate control to Climate Control

Specific interior modification information for Holden Commodore VY and VZ Series Holden Commodores, and HSV models

Postby VYSSUTE » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:10 pm

Has anyone converted from non climate control dials to climate control in a vy?
VYSSUTE
Starting Ignition

Postby TazzI » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:35 pm

I looked into that, but the climate control unit (Lcd screen climate control) required an extra plug, would either need a harness with the additional plug or wire one in. will check through the vt-vy workshop manual and see if it states the colours and pins of each connector.
TazzI

Postby jezzab » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:59 pm

I thought it requires a higher level BCM too?
Daily Ute - 2009 Holden VE SSV Ute Single Turbo (IQ, E3 Cluster, EDI) - 586rwhp
Drag Ute - 2002 Holden VU SS Twin Turbo - 1010rwhp [SOLD]

All VE/VF Module reprogramming. Remote programming with flash box
http://www.facebook.com/jsbperformance
jezzab
Site Admin

Postby TazzI » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:00 am

Thinking about it... if its all electronic. it would need a different module to actually change the temperature/airway, as when using the dials.. it manually changes it with cogs and levers. I havent seen what goes on behind the module but thought it would be something like that.

would probably mean you would need a different bcm then. Although being holden.. the functionality could be there but not "turned on" or simply needs the module plugged in.
Heres what the back of the module looks like anyways, (sorry not HD)
Think theres a VZ berlina being wrecked in Perth so may see where the wiring goes. (hope vz don't differ too much!)
TazzI

Postby Meeso0743 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:42 pm

The Climate Control works differently to the Manual A/C as TazzI said, its a huge job but possible :)

To do it you'll need a couple of sensors, relays etc and would either need to make your own loom or change your whole loom out with a higher level loom, and would also either need to change the BCM for a higher one or bypass it :)

Thanks,
Luke

*First Post* :D
Meeso0743
Newbie Modder

Postby TazzI » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:54 pm

Welcome luke!

Well cant exactly bypass it could you?, as it would send commands that would run through the bcm.. then to the module that controls the electronic air control unit hey.. could send directly to it?
Possibly wrong, something to toy with though..
TazzI

Postby Meeso0743 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:08 pm

Thanks mate,

I haven't done it personally but from looking at the diagrams it looks like you would be able to send directly to it if everything was figured out correctly (I may even do this soon on my own VY)

Alot of the stuff that the BCM will be doing is for instance telling the CC to light up when the headlights go on, this is easily mimicked.
Meeso0743
Newbie Modder

Postby Nemesis04 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:55 am

I've looked into doing this as well in my VY, I've done this in a VR and kept the same HVAC but it is a MASSIVE job. The car was off the road for three days whilst I was putting it all together , that was with all the parts and a clearly defined direction to take to finish the job as soon as possible. Although the lack of readily available parts, considering its a relatively "new" model that people are still driving around lol, prevents me from gathering all the bits to do a hack job without changing the HVAC. If you could source a HVAC in good 'nic it would alleviate a lot of the pain when doing a conversion.

You're going to need to get a number of parts including (but not complete):

Vacuum solenoid - this replaces the manual knob to select which vents are active at any given time and is usually bolted onto the HVAC
Ambient Temperature sensor - this little sucker goes in the "vent" to the right of the trip computer controls.
External Temperature sensor - this goes on the radiator on the front of the car
Heater core sensor
A/C core sensor
Servo for mixing plate for Hot/Cold
HVAC Controls, these can be dual or single zone climate controls...
The "left" half of the body loom

I've noticed that a majority of the loom can be re used to suit a climate control module, but a large portion of the dash loom needs to be altered, or replaced, to make sure everything fits together nicely.

A separate signal wire goes to the ECU and is used for the A/C compressor (its pulled low if the ECU decides that A/C can be enabled when a user requests it, I think it disengages the A/C Compressor clutch...). This is used in the existing manual setup and won't stop you from doing it.

There is another comms line that feeds to the dash (the radio is on the same comms line to send info to the cluster, as well as ABS and Traction Control (I think if either of these kick in the A/C is killed automatically... although I think the ECU does this as well via the A/C Clutch enable), for this functionality I know for a fact that it needs to be enabled by a Tech 2. You either need to sweet talk a dealer into letting you borrow one, or know a repair shop that has one.

Also, the ambient light sensor needs to be sourced. This little thing sits in the middle of your dash and acts as your key less remote receiver as well... I've read that these need to be paired with the BCM, although I'm not sure why would that would be true considering its just an photo-diode and antenna... I'll have to look into that again, It may not need to be replaced after all.

Let us know what you choose to do, might be able to help.

Cheers, Nem.
Nemesis04
Starting Ignition

Postby TazzI » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:50 pm

Nem.. wow!. Seems you have a good grasp on this.

After Thursday, Ill see what I cant fins when stripping this car for parts, Will take the main components (Harness, climate control panel) and will take pictures of the other components I may need/ things that look connected!. Where is the HVAC though?.. Only found one thread talking about a Blower/unit under the glove box?.

Possibly just take photos of anything that isnt in my car.. that may help!.

Yeah I am keen on this.

Have also recently picked up a VX cluster (havent powered up yet or pulled apart) and a single stacker cd player (now have 4 of the bastards)
TazzI

Postby Nemesis04 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:46 am

The HVAC is the large black box that essentially takes up 60% of the front of the cabin, it houses the heater core, A/C radiator, fan and all the control surfaces for air flow...
To remove it you need to drain your coolant and degas your AC system, take the entire dash out, dance around and curse for a bit after bleeding from a multitude of cuts.....

To avoid this you can disassemble one at the wreckers and see where everything needs to go and cut into your existing one, this is the path I took and will take in future. The main thing is the two sensors, and the servo for the hot/cold flap thing... once those are in everything else is just bolt up and the massive rewiring job.

Yeah, anything that you can see that remotely looks like its connected to the HVAC would be useful.

Those damned radios... most of the ones i see at the wreckers have been trashed though. Kids can't pull em out so they drive a screw driver through the front of the LCD rendering it almost useless... /tear... I've got three single stackers to play with and a six stacker that came with the car, the prototype aux is on a single stacker and the "final" is on the one in the car... I really need to get around to drafting a schematic... after exams I think.

Although I don't have the pin code for one of them lol, have you ever taken a dump from the eeprom? I'd be interested to get my hands on one with a known pin code and eeprom dump to see if it resides within. Although it may be stored in flash on the micro... /shrugs
Nemesis04
Starting Ignition

Next

Return to Interior Modifications

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts