Welcome Anonymous !

Everything you need to modify your ride

Interior Modifications

Traction Control Light in Dash Cluster not working

Specific interior modification information for Holden Commodore VT and VX Series Commodores, and HSV models

Postby slavious » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:34 pm

I have a VX Commodore series 2 Acclaim.
The "TRACT OFF" light not working.
I believe with ignition on these lights momentarily illuminate to check if they are working but this light is not coming on.
I had it checked by mechanic with Tech Tool 2 and advised no issues at all. So I have removed cluster and checked globes replacing only blown globes but still not working. I have also checked with "Diagnostic Mode" (Mode and Right Button Before Starting) then press mode button until reach test for lamps and and gauges. I noted several lights not working including "TRAC OFF".
Is there something else to check or may be something faulty with the dash cluster and maybe needs replacing.
Any Advise would be much appreciated.
Cheers.
Mark.
slavious
Newbie Modder

Postby TazzI » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:36 pm

The instrument cluster may not have these lights "programmed" in hence they dont turn on. Generally is an indication of what has been installed in your car ect. Although I thought all vx's has TC.

Other options are you need to check all globes, make sure they are in the correct position eg Positive/negatives.

Is this the original instrument cluster?
TazzI

Postby slavious » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:43 am

Thanks for responding TAZZI.
Definitely has traction control fitted. Has the button near gear selector and is an acclaim model.
I have had it checked with tech tool and apparently was switched on.
As far as I know it is the original dash and I have replaced the blown globes with new ones but wasn't aware they were polarity sensitive. Will have to check this.
I'm thinking I may have to get another cluster as other lights not working either, so will probably look for a level 2 or 3. The BCM fitted to this model is MID so should be ok with these clusters from what I understand.
slavious
Newbie Modder

Postby TazzI » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:35 pm

slavious wrote:Thanks for responding TAZZI.
Definitely has traction control fitted. Has the button near gear selector and is an acclaim model.
I have had it checked with tech tool and apparently was switched on.
As far as I know it is the original dash and I have replaced the blown globes with new ones but wasn't aware they were polarity sensitive. Will have to check this.
I'm thinking I may have to get another cluster as other lights not working either, so will probably look for a level 2 or 3. The BCM fitted to this model is MID so should be ok with these clusters from what I understand.

Its no the bcm that you need to worry about, its the cluster configuration. Since that stores all the fuel,lighting,kms,engine details ect that will display on the screen/s. Incorrect configs lead to faults and problems.

Id suggest swapping the not working globes about and see what happens. Other then that. Not sure why the lights arent turning on!. Generally when you turn the trac off, the BCM broadcasts a message to everything saying that trac is off.. which the cluster pics up and displays the message.
Thats pretty much the same with most faults/alarms.
TazzI

Postby silversv6 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:37 pm

Is your traction control actually turning off? Could have a faulty switch. Turn the trac off & see if it spins the wheels or cuts off the fuel. If it is "on" you will get a "flat spot" until it grips again & if it is off it should not lose power & should smoke the tyres. If you have a few lights not working, the board may have a fracture although I have not heard of one happening in the later commodores. cheers
silversv6
Major Contributor

Postby slavious » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:52 am

Thanks for helping SilverSV6.

I will check the traction switch. I know how to dismantle console and get to cluster but not sure how to remove the traction and power switches. This looks a bit more of a task.
Are you able to advise how to remove these switches or are there any threads. The light in the power switch not working either and starting to see a pattern emerging.
If this doesn't work I will buy a cluster and give that ago. Most that I have looked at have very high KM's on them. Can you have them adjusted to match original KM's.

Cheers.
slavious
Newbie Modder

Postby silversv6 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:36 pm

Yes you can get another cluster set up to your car with the options & the k's set to what yours is now. There is threads on here with fairly detailed info on programming these clusters, & I think I have also seen one that tells you about fitting a level 3 (calais-berlina) cluster as well. See if you can get your hands on a Haines repair/service manual as they tell you how to read the fault codes etc. The gregory's manuals are very basic & don't give as much info. I have one laying around somewhere for my VX SII Berlina, so if you need any info I can dig it out.
cheers

Try this link, Justin can do your cluster.
http://www.ultimateconversionwiring.com.au

I just looked for that thread & it is not on here, but I am sure there used to be one. could of been for VY-VZ.
silversv6
Major Contributor

Postby slavious » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:12 pm

Thanks for all your help.
My son tried a cluster from similar VX II and seemed to have all the lights coming on when ignition turned on so seems I will need a new cluster. At least I know now the problem.
When I find a cluster will look at getting it setup for my car and a Haines repair manual.
Will let you know how it goes.
Thanks heaps.
slavious
Newbie Modder

Return to Interior Modifications

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts