Welcome Anonymous !

Everything you need to modify your ride

Exterior Modifications

Fitting a Reverse Camera to a VE Commodore

Specific exterior modification information for Holden Commodore VE and VEII Series Commodores, and HSV E1, E2, and E3 models

Postby ZerOne » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:00 pm

I thought I would kick off a new thread about fitting reverse cameras to VE Commodores (And Pontiac G8, Vauxhall VXR8 models).

16352 16351

I have been playing around with a couple of cheapy CCD Reverse cameras, and I have found a model
that costs around $30 to buy (from fleabay), that does not require any drilling or boot modification.

More information to come.....
ZerOne
Site Admin

Postby ZerOne » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:07 pm

The model shown above was advertised as being suitable for VN through to VZ Commodore models,
and simply replaces the existing number plate lamp on the boot.

I have been playing around with a number of different options, trying to find a good quality (CCD, 500+ TVL), but relatively cheap camera
for connecting up the a colour LCD headunit (Such as Series I and IQ units).

The above camera required parts of the housing to be shaved down in order to fit the VE number plate lamp cutout (The main body of the housing was around 1.0mm ~ 1.5mm to thick, so I simply used a dremel to cut back on some of the excess plastic.

I was wondering what other solutions others may have used in mounting / fitting a reverse camera to their vehicle, how hard their solution was to fit, and how the end product looks ?
ZerOne
Site Admin

Postby SteveG8 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:24 pm

Interesting... I have had an ebay one installed for a couple of years, but after a few freezing nights it stopped working last month.. (still has power so I'm thinking it's toast)..
http://g8gt.blogspot.com/2008/09/backup ... stall.html

Looks fairly unobtrusive when installed and screws in with the existing licenseplate screws
SteveG8

Postby TazzI » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:14 pm

Actually quite interested in one of these since I dont exactly want to drill into the boot or rear bumber.. have the possibly of mounting under the rear bumper but thats a tad low.
Cant go wrong with $30 I guess.

Anychance of a picture bit further away to see what it looks like?
TazzI

Postby winmilla » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:33 am

I have just received my camera all of the way from Oz yesterday.

Its a NESA QFS-100 - on initial impression it is a straight swap for the licence plate lamp.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk199/winmilla/photo.jpg

I haven't tested it yet for quality - it was relatively expensive compared to those ebay cameras but I wanted on that was a perfect fit.

I ordered it direct from NESA - great service once I got past the initial blocker of someone saying you cant fit it to a car without the reverse camera enabled in the head unit but it should work with VIM (still got to work that one out - sussed the VIM)
winmilla
Starting Ignition

Postby silversv6 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:25 pm

I have just installed one on me VE II sv6 sportwagon. Very similar to the one Matti used in the first post.($18.83 ebay) It fit straight in to the number plate lamp hole, but was a little loose so I made a 2mm thick rubber gasket to sit between the camera/light & the chrome garnish. Easy, the harness is already in the tailgate! .....lucky lucky. Yesterday holden reflashed my IQ because of the trouble I have had since they "upgraded the software" & when I went to try it...ahhh they didn't enable the RSE...swearing...so I hooked it up to a 24inch led tv, put the car into reverse, handbrake off & It worked on the tv pretty clear.
As soon as I get the RSE enabled and make sure it works on the IQ I will post it here with a few photos. Good news is that Holden are going to replace my IQ; but when?. I have to give credit to doubledip & especially shterk for their input.
silversv6
Major Contributor

Postby jezzab » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:35 pm

Dont need RSE (rear seat entertainment) enabled. You need the reverse cam enabled
Daily Ute - 2009 Holden VE SSV Ute Single Turbo (IQ, E3 Cluster, EDI) - 586rwhp
Drag Ute - 2002 Holden VU SS Twin Turbo - 1010rwhp [SOLD]

All VE/VF Module reprogramming. Remote programming with flash box
http://www.facebook.com/jsbperformance
jezzab
Site Admin

Postby winmilla » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:36 pm

Am i right in saying that the reverse camera can be enabled in the series 1 headunit like the VIM by changing a eeprom address?

I already have factory fit parking sensors so the screen changes to a plan of the car with red amber green bars when reverse is selected so will the camera override this if i find the eeprom address to activate it?
winmilla
Starting Ignition

Postby silversv6 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:07 pm

Yeh I know, I already had it done while waiting for the camera to arrive. I also had the RSE enabled at the same time. Holden reflashed the IQ and never enabled it all back to how it was.That still didn't fix it! Thanks.
silversv6
Major Contributor

Postby silversv6 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:52 pm

FITTING REVERSE CAMERA TO VE II SV6 SPORTWAGON.
using the same camera as ZerOne used in the first post.

Take of all the trim from the tailgate. All held in by clips except 2 torx screws near the lock (carpet section)
Unbolt chrome garnish and unclip the white plug inside tailgate. (number plate light wire)
Take the passenger side light out of the chrome garnish & remove the globe.
Feed the camera wires through the hole & clip the camera in.
Connect the number plate light (on camera) to the existing globe holder. I used the plastic base of a T10 L.E.D & pushed it back into the globe holder (no cutting harness wires). Make sure the polarity is correct by turning on your parker lights. Tape it up with electrical tape.
Feed the camera & power wire between the button section & the garnish, then carefully cut the grommet and feed the camera & power wire through it. Tape it up to hold it together. Don't cut the wires or your fingers!
Fit the garnish back onto the tailgate feeding the cables through the original hole & push the grommet back in.
Run the camera & power cable up the drivers side of the tailgate to the black connector at the top of the tailgate. Tape them in position away from the trim clip holes and tape the plugs together.
Cut the plug off the video cable (yellow plug) and bare enough wire to connect to the male pins (not supplied) I had some from a VX harness that I soldered to them.
BLACK TAILGATE CONNECTOR WIRES:
GREEN: To the camera power lead (+ red) This is the reverse switch to power the camera on when reverse is selected.
BLACK: the black above the green is the camera ground (-black)
PINK: is the core video wire (inside wire) from the camera rca cable.
BLUE: is the outside (bare wire) from the camera rca cable.
THATS IT ALL DONE. Make sure your camera has been enabled (tech 2) and is also turned on via the IQ screen. Turn the ignition on, select reverse and it will come on the screen. Your reverse sensors will still beep once the handbrake is off.
I hope I explained this easy enough. Need more info...let me know.
I have to credit & thank doubledip & shterk for their help & input, so if yours works.. you can thank them as well !!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by silversv6 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:52 pm, edited 6 times in total.
silversv6
Major Contributor

Next

Return to Exterior Modifications

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts