Welcome Anonymous !

Everything you need to modify your ride

Exterior Modifications

VE Sportwagon camera installation

Specific exterior modification information for Holden Commodore VE and VEII Series Commodores, and HSV E1, E2, and E3 models

Postby Morris70 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:09 pm

Here’s a write-up of what I did to install the factory Sportswagon reverse camera last weekend…

The genuine camera for the VE sedan is around $120 for the module, but the Sportwagon camera module isn’t available separately.
(No part number listed in the GM parts system)

To get it new, the whole rear chrome Liftgate Centre Applique assy has to be purchased, and comes with the camera, 2 licence plate lights,
and liftgate release switch. GM P/N is 92255524. The 2 dealers I called quoted $650-700, Covs parts can get it for around $505
camera module.jpg

I eventually got hold of the camera module and complete tailgate wiring loom from a wrecked 2010 Series 1 Calais wagon.
Only 1 section of the loom needed to be used though.

Not sure about earlier ones, but Series 1’s made from end of 2008 / beginning of 2009 (when the Sportswagon camera option became available),
and series 2’s should have the camera mounting posts moulded into the back of the garnish strip.
camera location top.jpg

camera location bottom.jpg

The camera wiring loom should also be preinstalled from under the left side of the dash to the black X901 connector in the tailgate

To remove the Garnish and fit the new loom, ALL of the interior tailgate trim has to be unclipped. Watch out when removing the side
window mouldings, I pulled a bit too hard and broke off the plastic mounts and had to buy 2 new ones at $45 each.
There are 4 nuts and 2 clips that hold the garnish strip in place. The nuts can be undone easiest with a tube spanner, the 2 end clips
can be released with long nosed pliers from inside the tailgate.
After removal from the car, a Dremel is used to cut a square hole in the garnish between the posts.

I first used a cutting disc to make it roughly the right size, and then used a grinding wheel to straighten and clean up the edges.
The hole needs to be just big enough for the camera body to pass through from the top.
camera installed.jpg

The camera can then be screwed in place with a couple of self tappers, using a bit of black silicone around the edges of the camera to keep
water out. Route the camera cable behind the liftgate switch.
The rubber grommet needs to be cut to allow the camera cable to pass through with the other cable for tailgate switch and licence plate lights.
The garnish can then be reinstalled.
centre strip installed.jpg

old loom.jpg

The existing loom on the driver’s side of the tailgate, consisting of just a purple demister wire, is removed and replaced with the new
demister/camera loom between connectors X904 and X901.
loom routing 1.jpg

loom routing_2.jpg

Once the loom is clipped in place, the tailgate trim can be reinstalled

The other end of the camera loom terminates at connector x261 behind the left front passenger kick plate.
x261.jpg

From there, the loom goes to x344, which is located next to the LHS tweeter at the top of the dash.
x344.jpg

This connector is used if the rearview camera display integrated in to the mirror is fitted.
(applies to all models apart from Calais/SSV, which use the colour headunit for rearview display)

The pink and blue camera video wires can be tapped into just above the x261 connector.
I insulated them with heatshrink, and wrapped in felt covered tape so it all appears factory fitted.
camera wiring.JPG

headunit wiring.JPG

Regular shielded video cable can be used – route it along the main dashboard wiring harness above the glovebox and headunit,
down the RHS and into pins 6 and 15 on the headunit X7 connector .

If the Headunit is V9 (introduced early 2009) AND the option is enabled in the eeprom, the cam input can be enabled in the settings menu

Set the reverse Cam option to ON and it's done
reverse cam menu.jpg

reverse display.jpg

Note:
Although they are present in earlier model headunits, Pins 6 and 15 only work if it's a V9 unit
Earlier headunits can only use the rear Aux input pins 5 and 14
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Morris70
Contributor

Return to Exterior Modifications

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts