Welcome Anonymous !

Everything you need to modify your ride

Exterior Modifications

Reverse Camera Sportswagon Wiring Help

Specific exterior modification information for Holden Commodore VE and VEII Series Commodores, and HSV E1, E2, and E3 models

Postby mitchelldarragh » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:02 pm

Hi Recently purchased a 2012 VE Sportswagon and looking to install reverse camera because I just don't trust the sensors. :oops:

Went to Holden Quoted $550 for genuine plus $130 programming.
Still Cheaper than the JHP kit. :shock:
http://www.jhp.com.au/holdenve/Rearcamerasensors.htm
The sedan on the other hand is $120(ish) from Holden :!:
and I'm failing in the wreckers department too can't find a wagon let alone one with a camera :?

The difference between the two is the wagon comes with the rego lights and boot release so you don't have to cut the grommet.
After a bit of mucking around at Holden comparing parts the sedan mounting holes are different and so is the plug but both have more than 4 cables running to the plug ie power +/- and video +/-

:idea: My question is does anyone have the wiring colors/pinlayout ,descriptions for the wagon and sedan (or Ute?) i think its connector x904 so i can either make my own plugs in the x901 to x904 extension loom and wire the two different body types together then making the mounting fit and pesky grommet water tight or using aftermarket camera
mitchelldarragh
Newbie Modder

Postby silversv6 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:24 am

Search this forum for "fitting a reverse camera to a ve commodore" Look around the site as Matti has done it on the sedan & I done it on a SII sv6 sportwagon. Everything you need to know is there. cheers
silversv6
Major Contributor

Postby mitchelldarragh » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:17 pm

Thank you Iv read all I can on reverse cameras for VE it helped alot

Holden genuine have 6 wires going into it but cameras only need 4. Thought they might have something else in them like a resistor to tell the HQ that a Genuine Camera is installed.

After finally buying a Gregory guide and testing the PINK and BLUE STRIPE wire is from the ignition relay and the extra BLACK is the shielding wire for the pink and blue.

So now thinking i can add a cig socket to the lift gate would be great for a rear facing DVR or a hazard light when tail gate is lifted or fit a switch activated work light on both the tail gate and where wires enter tail gate to give the boot area a bit more usable light.
mitchelldarragh
Newbie Modder

Postby silversv6 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:58 am

The camera I used was of Ebay for about $20. The picture is excellent, although not real good at night. You can get night vision cameras with infrared lighting which are better for night vision, but I have not seen one that fits into the number plate light. You also have to have the camera enabled on the IQ via tech 2 programming. Holden or most mechanics/auto electricians should be able to do this for you (if they know what they are doing) or if you are in the Sydney area Ultimate conversion wiring at Castle Hill do it & know all there is about the IQ's.
I put a LED globe in the cargo area which lights up a lot more, and you could easily cut some into the tailgate & wire it up directly from the light in the cargo area. cheers
silversv6
Major Contributor

Return to Exterior Modifications

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts