Welcome Anonymous !

Everything you need to modify your ride

LLT (3.6L SIDI DOHC V6)

LLT engine swap in MX5

Discuss the Direct Injection version of the LY7 3.6L DOHC V6 fitted to GM vehicles from 2008 and onwards

Postby corvelli » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:37 pm

Hi guys this is my first post and I am not sure this is the right place to post so don't crucify me please.

I am currently working on a project the basis of which is a 2001 MX5 1056kgs and 110kw of pure hairdressers car grunt. Anyway I have spent a ridiculous amount of time building a wide body re body Kevlar reinforced fibreglass shell and body panels to suit the MX5. I have CAD designed, laser cut and fabricated a new K Frame and gearbox mounts etc to suit the new engine.

Because of Queensland NCOP law the biggest engine swap I could do was 4 x the original curb weight in litres. Ie 1050 kg x 4 = 4200 = 4.2 litres.

After much research I decided the replacement engine would be the 3.6l LLT SIDI and Aisin 6 speed. At 210kw standard this motor weighs 5kg less than the iron block 1.8 therefore keeping the MX5s almost perfect 50 50 weight distribution. To put this in perspective a Clubsport R8 SV with 340kw weighing 1764kg has a power to weight ratio of 192kw per tonne the 1050kg MX5 with 210kw has a power to weight of 200kw per tonne.

Anyway I have purchased the LLT from a 2010 Calais with 20k on the clock and purchased the AY7 separately. The motor came with all accessories, air, power steering and full engine loom and ECU also a separate BCM ( which appears to be from a different car)

I am just about at the stage where I am getting ready to drop the motor in and would really appreciate any advice on what dramas pitfalls etc I am going to come across trying to make the wiring ECU pim side of things work. From a mechanical engineering point of view I am fine but the whole wiring side of things is like black magic.

Thanks in advance
corvelli
Newbie Modder

Postby silversv6 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:21 am

I think you will have to use the ignition switch/key-reader as well, as the key is coded to the vehicle. I don't know if it can be disabled on the bcm/computer like we used to on the VR/VS chip when doing a conversion. I assume you will also have to have the ABS, trac control etc disabled. To make life easier it would be good idea to have the ecu, bcm, key & reader all from the same car. cheers
silversv6
Major Contributor

Postby corvelli » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:26 pm

Thanks Silver, happy to purchase what is required. As I am going with the Aisin manual I guess I need to find a 2010 SV6 manual that's being parted out.

The MX5 has limited electronics but I would like to retain the MX5 ABS, HVAC controls, dash cluster, electric windows and locks.

Apart from what you have mentioned is there anything else I will need ie accelerator pedal and harness, PIM module under dash?

Any help or advice greatly appreciated, I have only posted on carmodder.com as think the quality of posts and the knowledge of the forum members to be one of the best on the net.

Cheers

Here is photos of the project so far.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
corvelli
Newbie Modder

Postby silversv6 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:59 am

Yes, you will definitely need the accelerator sender/harness as these are on the fly. (no cable) Maybe also a manual ecm & harness. Best bet is to grab your self a good VE SIDI wiring diagram & go from there. You may even be able to hook your ABS to the VE electrics.
silversv6
Major Contributor

Postby corvelli » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:13 pm

Agree silver had a search but no luck? Does anyone have a link to a VE SIDI wiring diagrams
corvelli
Newbie Modder

Postby doubledip » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:22 pm

will need Engine ECU , BCM, Immobiliser and keys.....the BCM doesn't mater what car its originally from the the ECU, IMMO and keys need to be from the exact car for the security to line up

otherwise you can just use the ecu and by 2 new keyds and a new immobiliser and have them all coded
doubledip

Return to LLT (3.6L SIDI DOHC V6)

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts