Welcome Anonymous !

Everything you need to modify your ride

ECUs, ODBII DTCs and PIDs

VZ Commodore instrument cluster

Discuss Diagnostic Trouble Codes and Parameter IDs for the Holden VY and VZ Commodores, Pontiac GTO, Vauxhall Monaro, and Chevrolet Lumina Models

Postby andrew262 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:51 pm

Hi,

Does anyone know how to program an instrument cluster for a VZ Commodore?
Mine got cracked, I've got one from a wrecking yard but it shows too many ks, and been told it wont work unless I reprogram the VIN number in it.
could anyone help me with this...

Thanks a lot
andrew
andrew262
Newbie Modder

Postby silversv6 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:27 am

Do some reading... viewtopic.php?f=806&t=24239
silversv6
Major Contributor

Postby TazzI » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:06 pm

andrew262 wrote:Hi,

Does anyone know how to program an instrument cluster for a VZ Commodore?
Mine got cracked, I've got one from a wrecking yard but it shows too many ks, and been told it wont work unless I reprogram the VIN number in it.
could anyone help me with this...

Thanks a lot
andrew

hmmm.. I feel foul play happening..

If I had a penny every time Iv received a private message from an individual with zero/one post saying:
"My cluster stopped working and I bought a new one, how do I change the odo?"
or
"My cars done too many k's, how do I drop them?
or
"I bought an engine and want to modify the odometer, how do I do this?"

In almost all cases, at no point was the individually actually going to fit a new cluster, infact, they ended up selling dodgey clusters on fleabay which I still to this day am resolving and receiving messages asking to repair a corrupt cluster.

As soon as anyone mentions "odo", it seem to go all down hill. I not saying that is your intentions!. But, I personally, will go on a rampage if another cowboy attempts to provide an illegal odo modification service.. which in the end is just screwing over the rest of Australia.

To answer your question though, the VIN does not need to be programmed into the cluster for it to work. Generally most individuals pick up a cluster from gumtree or ebay for ~$70 that have close kms and have the correct airbag,transmission and engine programmed in. At minimum, the cluster should have the kms close, as all other parameters can be modified by a mechanic, or someone providing a cheap scantool service on gumtree (As low as $35 here in WA!).
TazzI

Postby silversv6 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:56 pm

Tazzi, I don't think many of them can read posts or don't read them properly. I love their first post's "where is the vin #" or "where is the odo location". MOST of them (are too lazy) just expect it without doing any home work of their own first! Oh & then not even a thanks.
silversv6
Major Contributor

Postby andrew262 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:26 pm

Hi,

thanks for your help.
I still need some clarification and I'd like to ask Tazzi for his help:

- my car is a 2006 VZ Commodore executuve 3.6litre

- the part number of the existing cluster is: 92191124

-I've found at a wrecker a (working) cluster from a 2005 VZ that looks identical with mine
but it has a different part number: 92121930

My questions are:

- does it matter the difference in the part numbers? I've been told I must get the same part number...

- could I assume this cluster has the same settings for the airbag, transmission and engine, since it
is from a (similar?) VZ with 3.6litre engine and automatic transmission?

- if you need to programm a cluster what connector do I have to use the OBD2 from behind the steering wheel or
the connector from the back of the cluster?

- the scan tool used to programm the cluster, is a "classic" ELM327 or a dedicated (more expensive) one?

Thanks a lot for your help!

cheers,

andrew.
andrew262
Newbie Modder

Postby TazzI » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:01 pm

andrew262 wrote:Hi,

thanks for your help.
I still need some clarification and I'd like to ask Tazzi for his help:

- my car is a 2006 VZ Commodore executuve 3.6litre

- the part number of the existing cluster is: 92191124

-I've found at a wrecker a (working) cluster from a 2005 VZ that looks identical with mine
but it has a different part number: 92121930

My questions are:

- does it matter the difference in the part numbers? I've been told I must get the same part number...

- could I assume this cluster has the same settings for the airbag, transmission and engine, since it
is from a (similar?) VZ with 3.6litre engine and automatic transmission?

- if you need to programm a cluster what connector do I have to use the OBD2 from behind the steering wheel or
the connector from the back of the cluster?

- the scan tool used to programm the cluster, is a "classic" ELM327 or a dedicated (more expensive) one?

Thanks a lot for your help!

cheers,

andrew.

Different part number generally means different calibration thus different settings. You would be taking a gamble to whether it will work correctly in your car.

As for programming the cluster, professional scantools will use the obd diagnostic connector underneath the steering wheel. You will need a tech2 or similar to modify the various configurations in the cluster.

Again, Gumtree is a pretty good place to get cheap programming done by a tech2. I do recommend getting someone there to do it rather than Holden or a generic mechanic which will cost a small fortune!
TazzI

Postby silversv6 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:27 pm

andrew262. I would say it was not out of an executive. Try fitting it & then see how it goes, then as tazzi said, take it to someone with a tech2 & they can program it for you. I did it this way on mine & was lucky enough to work perfectly without any programming. The worst scenario is you may have to take it back out & fit your old one back in! Worth a try..............
silversv6
Major Contributor

Postby andrew262 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:13 pm

hi,

thanks a lot Tazzi and Silversv6 for your help.

I've just found a cluster identical to the one in my car (the same part number including the letters) and the odometer is just a little bit higher, for only $110, however I haven't bought it yet.
I am still confused with the programming of the airbags, transmission or engine- don't know how to do it since the existing cluster doesn't seem to "answer' when it was scanned, and such all the settings cannot be retrieved - well I've tried to open the cluster to fix it and now it's not working at all...
Holden is very expensive to deal with...
By the way what it can be done with the VIN number programmed in the new cluster? when eventually I'll need to sell the car it will show up during the scan and I will pose very badly... even I don't have any intention to mislead.
Could anyone help me with this one, the man from the wrecker is waiting for my answer...

Thank you Tazzi and Silversv6 again for your help!

cheers,

andrew.
andrew262
Newbie Modder

Postby silversv6 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:50 am

Andrew262, if it is exactly the same part number, I would defiantly give it a go. It may work without any programming. As for the VIN I wouldn't worry about it if it works ok as long as the klm's are equal or above your original k's & last pink slip/rego check. If you want the vin done you can have it programmed to suit your car exactly by (search) Ultimate conversion wiring at Castle Hill NSW. You can post it to him, he will set it up to your car & post it back to you. cheers hope this helps.
Also if it needs a tech2 done for any faults/lights/air bag, traction control extras etc that may come up, most good auto electricians or mechanic can do this. You are right about Holdens prices.
silversv6
Major Contributor

Postby TazzI » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:52 pm

andrew262 wrote:hi,

thanks a lot Tazzi and Silversv6 for your help.

I've just found a cluster identical to the one in my car (the same part number including the letters) and the odometer is just a little bit higher, for only $110, however I haven't bought it yet.
I am still confused with the programming of the airbags, transmission or engine- don't know how to do it since the existing cluster doesn't seem to "answer' when it was scanned, and such all the settings cannot be retrieved - well I've tried to open the cluster to fix it and now it's not working at all...
Holden is very expensive to deal with...
By the way what it can be done with the VIN number programmed in the new cluster? when eventually I'll need to sell the car it will show up during the scan and I will pose very badly... even I don't have any intention to mislead.
Could anyone help me with this one, the man from the wrecker is waiting for my answer...

Thank you Tazzi and Silversv6 again for your help!

cheers,

andrew.

Again as said previously,

As long as the kms are really close (like you have found), and the part numbers match, then you have a good chance of it working out fine.
If any of the configs in the cluster are incorrect, you can get them changed by a scantool. Like I said before, a generic mechanic or person on gumtree with a tech2 can make these changes.
TazzI

Next

Return to ECUs, ODBII DTCs and PIDs

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts