Welcome Anonymous !

Everything you need to modify your ride

GM Technical Document Discussion

VE Radio / HVAC EEPROM reprogramming information

A place to discuss the technical documents for GM vehicles such as Holden, Chevrolet, Opel, Vauxhall, Buick, Cadilac and Daewoo
Forum rules
To gain access to the Invite Only forum you must be invited by a member of that forum. That member will PM the mods or admins (NOT you) saying that they nominate you for access. THEY will be responsible for your actions. If you don't post and just leech info, you will BOTH be removed. Dont send a PM to the moderators or admins asking for access, you really dont want to see the result. If you submit information, you may simply be invited :)

Postby advancedservers » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:12 am

Thanks morris70

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
advancedservers
Starting Ignition

Postby advancedservers » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:08 pm

Finished product

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384675679.344854.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
advancedservers
Starting Ignition

Postby R32WA » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:42 pm

Revival of an old thread, I have just fitted a Calais head unit to my omega ute using the extra sensor method, I had access to all these and the plugs. I now however have a service vehicle soon warning. The only thing I can think of is when going from the 2 pin to 4 pin sunlight sensor I have the two original wires ( ground and the one to the bcm ) around the wrong way. Does anyone have any pin out for which way these go in the plug. The plug is marked A B C and D.
I have in cab temp wires going to pins 1 & 2 on the X2 plug. Outside temp wires to pins 7 & 8 and sun load left and right to pins 4 & 5.
I have the dual zone HCM fitted as well.
Any ideas?
*** problem found - has a faulty sun load sensor. The left hand sun sensor is dodgy.
A bigger problem now is that I thought tech2 could change the vin in the head unit only to find out it can't. Bugger.
Cheers
R32WA
Newbie Modder

Postby phoenixdude24 » Wed May 21, 2014 2:09 pm

First let me introduce myself by saying thank you to everyone on this board, my head hurts from reading all that you guys have posted lol. I've been reading, re-reading, and reading some more over the last 6 months trying to get everything figured out to start EEPROM flashing on my G8 GXP, I installed an Apple TV and am looking to get to the real fun now. Will be purchasing a arduino and can-bus shield to interface with the steering wheel controls to control the apple tv but i was wanting to start looking at some of your guy's dumps to see what all can be done/whats stock (already printed out the bible :) ) but for some reason i'm having a brain fart with the simplest task. What are you guys using to read the .bin files? I've been trying to open them with a serial editor but to no avail (on OS X). Can anyone help me out?
phoenixdude24
Starting Ignition

Postby phoenixdude24 » Wed May 21, 2014 2:22 pm

I'm assuming a regular HEX editor would work but from the various dumps that people have posted the lengths vary quite a bit, just wanted to make sure I was doing it right.
phoenixdude24
Starting Ignition

Postby ZerOne » Wed May 21, 2014 4:08 pm

Some of the earlier EEPROM dumps were done in a Text based format, that has added stuff in there to
make the file easy to read using a straight text editor.

The later ones (the .bin) files are essentially raw data. (not Text Editor friendly, but is supported by every EEPROM device out there).

If you are using a Mac, then HexFiend may be your best bet to open these files.
Also do not get too concerned about the file lengths.

Depending on the EEPROM type you choose on the EEPROM programmer software, the programmer will attempt to read data above and beyond the EEPROMs available size.
The software will typically PAD the extra data with FF or 00.
(So you may see with a couple of dumps lots and lots of FF at the end of the file).

Also, you will find that there is not a lot of EEPROM hardware that will work with the Mac.
Your options here may be limited (I too have a Mac, and have found that its just easier to boot in to Windows to support the EEPROM hardware, rather than trying stuff like virtualbox, or even Wine to run the windows software).

I have been toying with the idea of a Rasperry Pi, and connecting a USB OBD dongle to its USB port, and its composite video output to the Aux Input on the headunit, and trying to play around with displaying data on the screen.

The funny thing is I have all the required hardware for this (a supported dongle, the Pi, and Aux input enabled), but I just dont have the time to play around trying to get the serial port stuff working in Python, which is what is mainly supported on the Pi.
Too many projects, and not enough time ;)
ZerOne
Site Admin

Postby phoenixdude24 » Thu May 22, 2014 6:49 am

Definitely did too much reading last night, everything definitely blended together lol. After being rested I realized how stupid my question was and that everything was explained in the document for EEPROM programming. Being that its a Pontiac we can assume its the newer model head unit, would i be using the main unit eeprom chip or the fascia one?

Here is my setup, for now at least.
http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143777

Currently working (with ghodge's help) for a arduino/ can-bus setup to complete the integration and allow the steering wheel controls to control the setup. Also looking to see if i can get the now playing music title to output to the DIC.

My end goal is to have everything fully integrated and for someone to get in the car and never realize that it didn't come that way from Holden.

Because this:

looks a million times better than this:

phoenixdude24
Starting Ignition

Postby rmanitta » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:08 pm

hi there just want to thank each and every person who contributed to this forum. I have achieved with your help a conversion from a basic SS radio to a full series 2 coloured screen and 2 rear head rest dvd players ,I thank you all owe and VIM as well
rmanitta
Newbie Modder

Postby brizz » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:34 am

WOW, it's good to see the great work that's accomplished when people collaborate. I hope to attempt the VIM hack using my Arduino Uno as the EEPROM programmer. Does anyone have a hyperlink to the datasheet for the EEPROM, or the manufacturer or a close up photo. I prefer to buy an EEPROM to use as a test subject and postpone ripping apart my dash until the breadboard is wired, the Arduino sketch is coded and the bugs are worked out. Thanks for all the hard work everyone put into this topic.

- brizz
brizz
Newbie Modder

Postby bar891 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:21 am

Does anyone have a VE Commodore Dual Zone HVAC bin file?
bar891
Newbie Modder

PreviousNext

Return to GM Technical Document Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts