Welcome Anonymous !

Everything you need to modify your ride

GM Technical Document Discussion

VE Radio / HVAC EEPROM reprogramming information

A place to discuss the technical documents for GM vehicles such as Holden, Chevrolet, Opel, Vauxhall, Buick, Cadilac and Daewoo
Forum rules
To gain access to the Invite Only forum you must be invited by a member of that forum. That member will PM the mods or admins (NOT you) saying that they nominate you for access. THEY will be responsible for your actions. If you don't post and just leech info, you will BOTH be removed. Dont send a PM to the moderators or admins asking for access, you really dont want to see the result. If you submit information, you may simply be invited :)

Postby davejames73 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:21 am

stereo.bin
Hi guys thanks for all the info on here its a great source of information.
I have just programmed a calais v headunit L3. This is the first time I have tried editing Vin number, could someone in the know have a look over bin files to check the vin changes are correct, as I am unsure and would like someone who knows what they are doing to double check the changes before attempting to fit to vehicle. Unit is out of a 2010 series 1 and going into an 07 omega.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davejames73
Newbie Modder

Postby vess89 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:13 am

Looks ok to me, VIN has been overwritten in the right spot.

Edit: Just saw in your other post you confirmed it is working fine :D
vess89
Kicking Tyres

Postby DSMinVA » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:09 am

Wow 37 pages is a lot to sort through.

Thanks mostly to this site and Tazzi I was able to bring the cluster modding to the US for the GTO's on ls1gto.com last year or so.

Now I'm working on a 2010 Cadillac Escalade SUV (not sure if you have these down under) and would like to work out the VIM and "safety banner" on the backup camera image. I figured GM/Holden has ALOT in common when it comes to this stuff, so why not start here.

I have dumped the EEPROM in 3 different radios and found the VIN location and have been able to modify them to work in my vehicle. I am more than happy to share the bins and offsets with you guys if you think it will help any.

Once I get this VIM sorted then i'll be diving into the 11/29 bit LAN.

Right now my question is I'm pretty sure I have read that the VIM is controlled in flash and not the EEPROM correct?
DSMinVA
Newbie Modder

Postby vess89 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:42 am

Once I get this VIM sorted then i'll be diving into the 11/29 bit LAN.

Sounds like you're in the same boat as me.

I've been able to reprogram a few headunits I have here to change the VIN/basic settings etc but I'm still currently trying to work out the location of the VIM values; lots of trial and error at this point.

Once I get this going I also hope to dive into GMLAN :D
vess89
Kicking Tyres

Postby vess89 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:16 pm

Well, I hit it hard today and finally worked out how to enabled VIM! :D

I've lost count of how many times I've flashed it but I got there eventually. Tomorrow I'll hopefully install the media player in the glovebox.

Next step for me will be to start learning GMLAN with the goal of capturing the steering wheel control packets and performing manipulation before outputting them to the media player.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to the wealth of information on this site, I don't think I would have even attempted any of this if it weren't for the documentation that got me started.
vess89
Kicking Tyres

Postby TazzI » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:00 pm

Good to hear you ha some success!
Any idea how your going to tackle gmlan? Since you'll either need to modify an elm or use a custom board.
TazzI

Postby vess89 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:57 am

I've got a couple of arduinos sitting around so was thinking of getting a canbus shield.

From there I'll try and "capture" the IR signals sent to the media player from the remote and then work out how to replay those based off triggers from sniffing the GMLAN network.

I'm not sure if this is the best way to go about it, I've never touched canbus before but I know arduino so it seems the simplest route for me to hack something together. That being said I'm open to any tips and suggestions :)
vess89
Kicking Tyres

Postby TazzI » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:07 pm

You still need to modify the shield I think, to get it working on GMlan... I think? Since GMlan is single wire, where as standard CAN is dual (High/low).

Im pretty interested in the IR captures! Never looked into something like that before.
TazzI

Postby vess89 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:29 pm

Yeah, so I've read.

It seems to be a case of running the CAN low input to ground and then using the CAN high for the single wire GMLAN comms.

Either way, it should prove fun :D
vess89
Kicking Tyres

Postby TazzI » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:34 pm

Yeah that's the little hack job that the boys mentioned for the elm devices. I'd assume it would work on the shield too? That's what I was going to do originally anyway with grounding the low can.

Will be interesting to see if that works too!
TazzI

PreviousNext

Return to GM Technical Document Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts