Welcome Anonymous !

Everything you need to modify your ride

GM Technical Document Discussion

VE Radio / HVAC EEPROM reprogramming information

A place to discuss the technical documents for GM vehicles such as Holden, Chevrolet, Opel, Vauxhall, Buick, Cadilac and Daewoo
Forum rules
To gain access to the Invite Only forum you must be invited by a member of that forum. That member will PM the mods or admins (NOT you) saying that they nominate you for access. THEY will be responsible for your actions. If you don't post and just leech info, you will BOTH be removed. Dont send a PM to the moderators or admins asking for access, you really dont want to see the result. If you submit information, you may simply be invited :)

Postby 2ss8 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:48 pm

Is there any information about EEPROM reprogramming for 2012 caprice?
I want to change startup logo.
2ss8
Newbie Modder

Postby cccthomastown » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:09 pm

Hey Guys,
Well thanks to people on the forum, I have been able to hack and slash the eeprom for a s2 IPC and also the IQ unit. I have also modified the HVAC module with the resistors and all good except for the sat/nav. When I press the NAV or MAP button, I get a message "Navigation not available".
I used Tech2WIN and modified the variant configuration in the IPC for navigation fitted. I have no fault codes in any of the modules. I have disassembled the IQ unit again to ensure that all three boards are fitted correctly and reassembled but still have the same fault. I don't have the TMC splitter fitted. I have the blue GPS antenna fitted and the white main board antenna fitted. Not sure if I have a sat/nav module fault or if I have missed something in the fitting/programming stage.
Hoping someone may have a suggestion ???.
Thanks for reading
cccthomastown
Kicking Tyres

Postby TazzI » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:06 pm

cccthomastown wrote:Hey Guys,
Well thanks to people on the forum, I have been able to hack and slash the eeprom for a s2 IPC and also the IQ unit. I have also modified the HVAC module with the resistors and all good except for the sat/nav. When I press the NAV or MAP button, I get a message "Navigation not available".
I used Tech2WIN and modified the variant configuration in the IPC for navigation fitted. I have no fault codes in any of the modules. I have disassembled the IQ unit again to ensure that all three boards are fitted correctly and reassembled but still have the same fault. I don't have the TMC splitter fitted. I have the blue GPS antenna fitted and the white main board antenna fitted. Not sure if I have a sat/nav module fault or if I have missed something in the fitting/programming stage.
Hoping someone may have a suggestion ???.
Thanks for reading

Its not uncommon for the nav board to be buggered or damaged during removal/install from wrecked cars. Being too rough will damage those slots on the board which result in no image or booting of nav.

So long as its all been programmed correctly, then you should all be working.
TazzI

Postby cccthomastown » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:33 pm

Hey Tazzl,
Thanks for your reply, appreciated as always.
I have sourced another IQ unit with sat/nav-opened it up and desoldered the eeprom and modified the vin number to match mine. I put it all back together and have the same issue. When i press the map or nav button, i get the "navigation not available" message. I also notice that the IPC displays "Navigation" and the letter "R" under it.
Am I missing something here in relation to the programming ?. The only mod I have made is the VIN on the eeprom, all other features work.
Once again, I appreciate any feedback and truly hoping to add something back in some way.
cccthomastown
Kicking Tyres

Postby TazzI » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:06 pm

cccthomastown wrote:Hey Tazzl,
Thanks for your reply, appreciated as always.
I have sourced another IQ unit with sat/nav-opened it up and desoldered the eeprom and modified the vin number to match mine. I put it all back together and have the same issue. When i press the map or nav button, i get the "navigation not available" message. I also notice that the IPC displays "Navigation" and the letter "R" under it.
Am I missing something here in relation to the programming ?. The only mod I have made is the VIN on the eeprom, all other features work.
Once again, I appreciate any feedback and truly hoping to add something back in some way.

I can't express how much I am cringing at the thought of desoldering the eeprom.

If both are nav units.. and now both are not working.. I can only think that the eeprom or surrounding components have been damaged. Or bad read/writes?.

Not trying to be negative, but 2 for 2 IQ's means its something your doing thats affecting them. :?
TazzI

Postby cccthomastown » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:20 am

Hey Tazzl,
Thanks once again for your reply.
Appreciate your concern for desoldering the eeprom. I have tried to read it in circuit and it has been hit and miss for me. I lower the voltage of the reader down to 2.75 volts to avoid interference but most times it doesn't work.
I put a barrier around the eeprom before removing it to ensure I don't mess anything else up but I do understand the risks.
I think I may know what's going wrong. I have a couple of iq units and I have modified the vin number to suit my car on a non sat Nav unit. I have then used this dump from the non Nav unit and put it onto the Nav eeprom. I will modify the original eeprom dump and give it another go tomorrow morning. I will let you know how I go.
cccthomastown
Kicking Tyres

Postby cccthomastown » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:02 pm

Thought I would give an update on my IQ. Finally have it all up and running. Thanks to Tazzl and earlier, Jezza for all the advice. Turns out that I needed to hack and slash an eeprom that was originally fitted to a unit that already had sat/Nav. My earlier attempts were based on a level 2 IQ without sat/Nav. I thought that fitting a Nav daughter board to any unit would get it up and running but obviously changes also need to be made on the eeprom. I didn't notice any function on Tech2Win to enable sat Nav.
I am now going to fit DZ to the car.
On a side note, I got into eeprom work after training for lost key soloutions, so if I can help anybody in relation to key/immobiliser issues, please let me know as I'm only too happy to give something back. Also have a workshop in Northern suburbs of Melbourne so can assist on that front too. Thanks again
cccthomastown
Kicking Tyres

Postby cccthomastown » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:06 pm

Finished fitting up the DZ last night. It was pretty straightforward. I got all the parts from the wreckers which comprised of the sunload sensor, hvac module, r/h blend door motor, cabin temperature sensor with the hose and the wiring loom for all of the motors on the heater box. I used an ambient air temperature sensor from a BMW that I already had. The process was as follows,

1) Fitted the sunload sensor. Ran 2 new wires down to the hvac module and cut & shut the two exisiting wires from the old light sensor.

2) Fitted the cabin air temp sensor and ran two wires to the hvac module. I used a hot knife to cut a hole for the aspiratior hose. It was very easy and accurate to cut using the hot knife.

3) Fitted the ambient air temperature to the side of the condenser and ran two wires from the hvac module through an existing body grommet on the left side near where the main power cable runs through. Pretty much followed the existing harness as it went all the way to the front of the car.

4) Seperated the blend door flap. To do this I removed the passenger side blend door motor to expose the blend door flap rod. This leaves both sides of the rod exposed as the right side is already open. I then used two T50 Torx bit sockets which is the exact size the blend door rod is. I rocked the two torx bits in opposite directions until the blend door seperated in the middle. This in effect created the two required separate blend doors. You must be patient in doing this as the plastic rod will strip if too much force is used.

5) Fitted the DZ hvac module and wired in the wires into the one connector plug. I cut the plug from the wiring loom while I was at the wreckers. That way I could pull the wires with the terminals attached and then solder them to the sensor wires and fit them to the existing connector plug. Looks factory original. All of the terminal locations have been mentioned earlier in this thread.

6) Fired it all up and tested it. Works perfectly with no fault codes.

I only had to remove the glove box and the r/h lower trim to carry out this job. No need to remove the crash pad or heater box. Probably took me 90 minutes from go to wo. Well worth the effort.

Many thanks to this forum and the people who put it all up there
cccthomastown
Kicking Tyres

Postby Boxencalls » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:50 am

Hi guys. Long time lurker here. I recently made an account. I have been researching these radios and MCU chips for a long time. My latest project has been pulling the firmware off the MCU. I soon should have the Version 9 firmware available, as I just pulled the firmware from a Version 8 radio and will be pulling a Version 9's off next (I had to practice on the Version 8 first! :shock: ) Is there any interest in having Version 9 firmware files posted? I feel like the VE radio modding has kinda died lately, it's getting old now I guess.
Boxencalls
Newbie Modder

Postby GXP25 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:25 am

Does anyone know what I need to change in the EEPROM to swap the "AUTO" and "ZONE" buttons?

Would both (faceplate and radio) EEPROMs need to be modified?

I see some information in the GMLAN Bible on sheet "071 - Climate Control Buttons" that relates exactly to what I need. I would just need for these to be swapped. I'll handle physically swapping the buttons by disassembling the radio face plate.
GXP25
Kicking Tyres

PreviousNext

Return to GM Technical Document Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts