Welcome Anonymous !

Everything you need to modify your ride

GM Technical Document Discussion

Holden VT and VX Instrument Cluster EEPROM Programming

A place to discuss the technical documents for GM vehicles such as Holden, Chevrolet, Opel, Vauxhall, Buick, Cadilac and Daewoo
Forum rules
To gain access to the Invite Only forum you must be invited by a member of that forum. That member will PM the mods or admins (NOT you) saying that they nominate you for access. THEY will be responsible for your actions. If you don't post and just leech info, you will BOTH be removed. Dont send a PM to the moderators or admins asking for access, you really dont want to see the result. If you submit information, you may simply be invited :)

Postby gruntly69 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:43 am

Hey All just thought I'd start fresh in this thread rather than taking over the other thread!

I have a couple of dumps off VT-VX single & triple LCD eeproms that use a micro 93S56 serial eeprom!

If anyone has any locations to find info in the dumps, if they have wiring pin out diagrams to make bench test or if they know the odo calculation & if there's any check sum going on that would be great!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gruntly69
Contributor

Postby ZerOne » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:49 am

WOW !!!!

How on earth did you manage to get the EEPROM dump ?

I have a Level 1 VT Cluster, as well as a VT 2 Level 3 Calais cluster (Triple Window with Auto Gear Position Display) that I would be more than happy to dump if I know how to go about it !

I also have access to a VT (Maybe 2), so I may be able to contribute.

Very very good work gruntly69 !!!!
ZerOne
Site Admin

Postby TazzI » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:36 am

Already wiring diagrams on the site Grunt!

Check here, has wiring diagrams at the bottom for the clusters.

So going by diagram... pin 6 is the negative and pin 20 is the positive.

Anychance you could through a picture of the back of the cluster up.

Ah awesome zerone!, access to a car will probably help out a fair bit!
TazzI

Postby gruntly69 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:54 am

Hey Zero, finally caught your attention I thought you would have added to the VY-VZ discussion anyway....

There was no real science to it, I got in contact with MCUmall & they said the GQ4 true willem USB programmer I had supported the device & then got the latest software for it & finally got clean reads!

thanks for the link with wiring Taz, I did see that topic but didn't go all the way down the bottom, cool now I can make a bench, just need to find out what's what with the dumps & start modding!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gruntly69
Contributor

Postby gruntly69 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:02 am

Paste from other thread;

TazzI
Post subject: Re: Holden VY and VZ Instrument Cluster EEPROM Programming
New postPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:46 am

Report this post
Don't need a plug, just have to use a 9V battery in the correct pins,use the pins in the front of the board if you can't access the ones in the plug, if that makes sense.

well 43234 * 32 (32 pairs, 2 rows of 16, why did you do only 16?) = 1 383 488 , 1383488/8 (8bit cluster?) = 172936

Just a rough stab in the dark until we get some other dumps and fiddle with the coding.

Yeah I knew it was 2 rows of 16, but if your grabbing 2 bytes at a time you only need 16 ;)
If anyone can confirm this & if there's any check sum going on would be great, I'll try & get test bench up to find out whats showing on the clusters!
gruntly69
Contributor

Postby gruntly69 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:49 am

Bit of an update...

I plugged then into power & the triple LCD has problems with LCD itself some digits not showing correctly need to press around screen to get an idea(can this be fixed?) but looks like it's showing 327,723Kms.

The single LCD last time it was powered up it had trip metre showing so it keeps coming back to that & won't show odo reading, can the trip functions be changed without mode buttons pluggged in & thus possible allowing to enter engineering mode too, but when powered up it is flashing 350,000Kms service, so guessing odo must be around that?

So sorry I was a bit off with what Km's I thought they were!
gruntly69
Contributor

Postby TazzI » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:10 pm

Not sure on fixing that, may need to reflow the solder where the lcd connects to the board.

Try changing the values and writing back to the cluster. maybe try on the triple cluster "AFA3" the whole way through and see how much that changes the odo.
TazzI

Postby jezzab » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:14 pm

Might have to pull the cluster out of my VU drag car and get a read. Problem is its just sits on SERV in the ute anyway. Doesn't like the ABS/SRS computer unplugged I don't think
Daily Ute - 2009 Holden VE SSV Ute Single Turbo (IQ, E3 Cluster, EDI) - 586rwhp
Drag Ute - 2002 Holden VU SS Twin Turbo - 1010rwhp [SOLD]

All VE/VF Module reprogramming. Remote programming with flash box
http://www.facebook.com/jsbperformance
jezzab
Site Admin

Postby gruntly69 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:55 am

Don't rush to do it yet jezza still a few bugs to iron out!

I can confirm the single LCD bin I posted is exactly 355,373Kms might make it easier to find equation?

but everytime I try & write to the device it isn't doing it properly, so need to contact MCUmall about this for the programmer unless anyone else has ideas of why it may be happening, I did read somewhere it's best for these chips to be selected as another?

When I tried flashing a bin that supposedly had 11,111 as the decimal x 16 it read up as 656,912Kms, but then read of the chip & it wasn't 11,111 anymore as it didn't write correctly!

Then I tried flashing the original dump but with afa2 all the way & failed!
gruntly69
Contributor

Postby TazzI » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:50 pm

Was having a read around google and seems alot of people have trouble reading/writing to 93S56 eeproms.
I kept reading something about write protection enabled?, need to have a specific programmer to read/write properly apparently.

Although I did come across something amusing here.

Seems he could read the chip, but not write to it. So he brought some 93C56 eeproms and managed to get it to work with the board.
TazzI

Next

Return to GM Technical Document Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts