Welcome Anonymous !

Everything you need to modify your ride

GM Technical Document Discussion

GM ALDL Logging and Scanning

A place to discuss the technical documents for GM vehicles such as Holden, Chevrolet, Opel, Vauxhall, Buick, Cadilac and Daewoo
Forum rules
To gain access to the Invite Only forum you must be invited by a member of that forum. That member will PM the mods or admins (NOT you) saying that they nominate you for access. THEY will be responsible for your actions. If you don't post and just leech info, you will BOTH be removed. Dont send a PM to the moderators or admins asking for access, you really dont want to see the result. If you submit information, you may simply be invited :)

Postby ferret82 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:19 pm

jezzab wrote:So do the other bits do anything? Does FF do anything (enable all 8 bits)?

I never got that far I got a value that worked and stopped there
ferret82
Starting Ignition

Postby TazzI » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:58 pm

ferret82 wrote:Thank you for the suggestion. As you might have seen over on ls1gto I am in picking other bits in the clusters, if you would like to know the code changes let me know and ill post them here.

I dont suppose you have any info on where the airbag config is within the cluster do you? I think it maybe in table 4... Any pointers would be great.

To be honest, I never really went through table four since all the information contained in it seemed "jumbled", as in it had the redline stuff, logos ect and then also had transmission type, and also had speedo calibration?.. Just seemed jumbled plus I couldnt confirm whether the info from vy/vz's matched.. well never found the time to run through each byte. It may be in there? Although I havent decoded each byte of that frame yet.

For the airbag config stuff, the way Im accessing it, need to be able to unlock the eeprom first so that you can request specific eeprom locations. Thats honestly the main thing that needs to be successfully completed.
TazzI

Postby ferret82 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:24 pm

TazzI wrote:
ferret82 wrote:Thank you for the suggestion. As you might have seen over on ls1gto I am in picking other bits in the clusters, if you would like to know the code changes let me know and ill post them here.

I dont suppose you have any info on where the airbag config is within the cluster do you? I think it maybe in table 4... Any pointers would be great.

To be honest, I never really went through table four since all the information contained in it seemed "jumbled", as in it had the redline stuff, logos ect and then also had transmission type, and also had speedo calibration?.. Just seemed jumbled plus I couldnt confirm whether the info from vy/vz's matched.. well never found the time to run through each byte. It may be in there? Although I havent decoded each byte of that frame yet.

For the airbag config stuff, the way Im accessing it, need to be able to unlock the eeprom first so that you can request specific eeprom locations. Thats honestly the main thing that needs to be successfully completed.

i have done some digging in table 4 and it seams to contain a lot more than what you suggest but i agree its not in any order, ill do some more digging when i get some time. but my gut tells me the info is there.

as for table 4 being different between VY and VZ clusters i can confirm that as i now have both VY and VZ clusters in UK / VZ form.

im not sure why everyone is on about the speedo calabration as i had mine sorted out in the cars tune whn i had a different diff ratio drooped in and it has nothing to do with the cluster.

if i find the airbag settings or what else controls what in table 4 i shall do a small write up and let you know.
ferret82
Starting Ignition

Postby jezzab » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:32 pm

Speedo calibration you can set 2 ways. Change the PPK/PPM in the dash cluster and leave the ECU the same or change the ECU and leave the cluster the same. GM way is cluster, tuner way (easier and more accurate) is ECU way
Daily Ute - 2009 Holden VE SSV Ute Single Turbo (IQ, E3 Cluster, EDI) - 586rwhp
Drag Ute - 2002 Holden VU SS Twin Turbo - 1010rwhp [SOLD]

All VE/VF Module reprogramming. Remote programming with flash box
http://www.facebook.com/jsbperformance
jezzab
Site Admin

Postby TazzI » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:43 pm

ferret82 wrote:i have done some digging in table 4 and it seams to contain a lot more than what you suggest but i agree its not in any order, ill do some more digging when i get some time. but my gut tells me the info is there.

as for table 4 being different between VY and VZ clusters i can confirm that as i now have both VY and VZ clusters in UK / VZ form.

im not sure why everyone is on about the speedo calabration as i had mine sorted out in the cars tune whn i had a different diff ratio drooped in and it has nothing to do with the cluster.

if i find the airbag settings or what else controls what in table 4 i shall do a small write up and let you know.

As I said Im not 100% certain whats in table 4, I only stated the bits and pieces that others have discovered in table 4. The response back is actually fairly large so more then likely it is in there. But I havent bothered attempting to change bytes then double check what they actually change via eeprom dump over comms or direct eeprom read. Also from memory, the vy/vz's gave different responses.. so didnt want to run the risk of writing wrong info to wrong model car!
Im taking a stab that AA got lazy and just compiled alot of "random" information and chucked it into the table 4?

Whereas all the other tables are categorized so only information relating to that is displayed eg security info ect.

And as Jezza said, the cheapo GM way is adjusting the speedo calibration by the cluster (PPK). If someone grabs a cluster from a different car or they change there diff, it can be calibrated in the cluster directly to correct speedo.
Alternatively the tuning way through the ecu, which is probably easier.. although youd need a dyno im guessing? haha
TazzI

Postby jezzab » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:51 pm

TazzI wrote:
ferret82 wrote:i have done some digging in table 4 and it seams to contain a lot more than what you suggest but i agree its not in any order, ill do some more digging when i get some time. but my gut tells me the info is there.

As I said Im not 100% certain whats in table 4, I only stated the bits and pieces that others have discovered in table 4. The response back is actually fairly large so more then likely it is in there. But I havent bothered attempting to change bytes then double check what they actually change via eeprom dump over comms or direct eeprom read. Also from memory, the vy/vz's gave different responses.. so didnt want to run the risk of writing wrong info to wrong model car!
Im taking a stab that AA got lazy and just compiled alot of "random" information and chucked it into the table 4?

Whereas all the other tables are categorized so only information relating to that is displayed eg security info ect.

And as Jezza said, the cheapo GM way is adjusting the speedo calibration by the cluster (PPK). If someone grabs a cluster from a different car or they change there diff, it can be calibrated in the cluster directly to correct speedo.
Alternatively the tuning way through the ecu, which is probably easier.. although youd need a dyno im guessing? haha

You just need a reference. Like a GPS. You look at actual displayed in the scan tool from the ECU and the displayed on the cluster then divide the difference and apply that to the PPK/PPM value. I say PPK/PPM because its Pulses Per KM or Pulses Per Mile (we are working with 2 formats here lol)

I do it on the dyno usually because the car is on there but ive gone for a drive plenty of times and looked at the GPS, looked at the scan tool and cluster and made the change. or ask the customer "What the GPS say and what the dash say?" and apply the difference without going for a drive.
Daily Ute - 2009 Holden VE SSV Ute Single Turbo (IQ, E3 Cluster, EDI) - 586rwhp
Drag Ute - 2002 Holden VU SS Twin Turbo - 1010rwhp [SOLD]

All VE/VF Module reprogramming. Remote programming with flash box
http://www.facebook.com/jsbperformance
jezzab
Site Admin

Postby ferret82 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:22 pm

TazzI wrote:

if you look at table 4 in the AAPL software it lits loads of bits so yes i agree they got lazy. i have found the brightness settings in table for LCD and other areas of the cluster and worked out of up down and off values on my bench cluster not got around to posting they yet tho, as i need to fully test and to do this i need to get all the cluster lights on (imatate turning the lights on in the car) not worked out how to do this safely yet. part of me says to run power down the lighting pin on the back of the cluster...
ferret82
Starting Ignition

Postby ferret82 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:27 pm

jezzab wrote:
TazzI wrote:

You just need a reference. Like a GPS. You look at actual displayed in the scan tool from the ECU and the displayed on the cluster then divide the difference and apply that to the PPK/PPM value. I say PPK/PPM because its Pulses Per KM or Pulses Per Mile (we are working with 2 formats here lol)

I do it on the dyno usually because the car is on there but ive gone for a drive plenty of times and looked at the GPS, looked at the scan tool and cluster and made the change. or ask the customer "What the GPS say and what the dash say?" and apply the difference without going for a drive.

i think you will find that the PPK value is the same for MPH and KPH settings are the cluster or BCM does the calculations over what to show on the cluster depending on what setting you choose. the UK clusters you can swap between MPH and KPH on the dash using the mode buttons. you can even do it while driving.
ferret82
Starting Ignition

Postby shifte » Thu May 30, 2013 2:25 pm

Hi guys. You're doing great work and encouraged me to follow suit. I've got the aldl cable working in a VT but am having trouble talking with a cluster on the bench. I'm using a WL (VZ) cluster and using pins 6 and 17 for ALDL (pins 1 & 12 on FDD cable) The cluster powers up and shows the typical errors as expected (SRS, Seatbelt, ABS, Contact Dealer and a service reminder) but I don't see any comms coming through and I've sent a few generic codes through but the cluster doesn't respond at all. Is there a code that I can send through that the cluster will respond to?
On another note, is there a file somewhere on the net showing all the cars devices Id's and strings to send to make changes to stuff. or is everyone keeping there own list? It would be nice to be able to simulate all the devices on the bench as well as translate the chatter into meaningful info.
I've started a VB2012 program (much like many others around) just as something to do in my spare time and happy to share it when its evolved enough to be useful :-)
I've got my ecu bins, cals, eeprom dump for my '98 Berlina on Gas if anyones interested.
shifte
Kicking Tyres

Postby TazzI » Thu May 30, 2013 5:54 pm

shifte wrote:Hi guys. You're doing great work and encouraged me to follow suit. I've got the aldl cable working in a VT but am having trouble talking with a cluster on the bench. I'm using a WL (VZ) cluster and using pins 6 and 17 for ALDL (pins 1 & 12 on FDD cable) The cluster powers up and shows the typical errors as expected (SRS, Seatbelt, ABS, Contact Dealer and a service reminder) but I don't see any comms coming through and I've sent a few generic codes through but the cluster doesn't respond at all. Is there a code that I can send through that the cluster will respond to?
On another note, is there a file somewhere on the net showing all the cars devices Id's and strings to send to make changes to stuff. or is everyone keeping there own list? It would be nice to be able to simulate all the devices on the bench as well as translate the chatter into meaningful info.
I've started a VB2012 program (much like many others around) just as something to do in my spare time and happy to share it when its evolved enough to be useful :-)
I've got my ecu bins, cals, eeprom dump for my '98 Berlina on Gas if anyones interested.

Make sure your aldl cable is hooked up to the comms and the negative pins on the aldl cable. And that the negative wire/pin have a good connection to clusters negative and power source. Iv found a bad power supply stops me from having any communication.

You wont see any communication with just the cluster hooked up on bench. But to test that it actually works, Send a generic info request: F2,57,01,00,B6
And that will get a reply if the cluster is hooked up correctly.

As for the device IDs and how to program stuff, well quick answer is no these no file with all the goodies. Requires reverse engineering scantool messages and such to understand whats going on, what each byte represents and how to write back to modules.
Its not as simple as just spamming random messages to a module as its more then likely you'll eventually find the "write" mode which will end in corrupting the module.

Simulating modules on bench isnt very useful, all it will do is trick the cluster or scantool to think its in car,

Would be interested in looking at throwing some messages at the VT/vx clusters though.
TazzI

PreviousNext

Return to GM Technical Document Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts