Welcome Anonymous !

Everything you need to modify your ride

GM Technical Document Discussion

BCM, PIM, ECU Linking Problems

A place to discuss the technical documents for GM vehicles such as Holden, Chevrolet, Opel, Vauxhall, Buick, Cadilac and Daewoo
Forum rules
To gain access to the Invite Only forum you must be invited by a member of that forum. That member will PM the mods or admins (NOT you) saying that they nominate you for access. THEY will be responsible for your actions. If you don't post and just leech info, you will BOTH be removed. Dont send a PM to the moderators or admins asking for access, you really dont want to see the result. If you submit information, you may simply be invited :)

Postby jezzab » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:45 am

LangasLS wrote:
TazzI wrote:The security module cant be cutting power to the ECU,PIM or BCM otherwise all other functions in the car would go haywire from missing communication. Like you get if you power a cluster up on bench with nothing attached.. alarm central! :lol:

That is exactly what happens with earlier ISS systems anyway - haywire if the key can not be read.

Plus they would digitally cut the Serial Data Link/UART comms from BCM to PIM, PCM etc hench making it go "haywire" because there is no comms to the IPC, SDM, BCM, etc
Daily Ute - 2009 Holden VE SSV Ute Single Turbo (IQ, E3 Cluster, EDI) - 586rwhp
Drag Ute - 2002 Holden VU SS Twin Turbo - 1010rwhp [SOLD]

All VE/VF Module reprogramming. Remote programming with flash box
http://www.facebook.com/jsbperformance
jezzab
Site Admin

Postby TazzI » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:12 pm

LangasLS wrote:That is exactly what happens with earlier ISS systems anyway - haywire if the key can not be read.

jezzab wrote:Plus they would digitally cut the Serial Data Link/UART comms from BCM to PIM, PCM etc hench making it go "haywire" because there is no comms to the IPC, SDM, BCM, etc

What a stupidily unnecessary device! :lol:
I guess that makes sense for all the wires. Power ground.. and the rest would be comms probably.

*HSV dev: you know what will be good, we will make it cut all communication throughout the car causing all sorts of issues
*Holden: Sounds secure! Keep up the good work
*HSV dev: Better yet, lets make all the wires black and not have any wiring diagrams or options to program it in a tech2
*Holden: Brilliant, our mechanics wont need them anyways
*Holden: Oh wait, the module has just failed. Can you fit a new one?
*HSV dev: Nah mate, need a whole new security system

Im still furious with dealing with a HSV representative talking about getting an VE EDI programmed. Just a plain and simple "No. Speak to Holden". Go speak to Holden, and I get a "Here contact our HSV representative"... which ends up being the same guy. :evil: *end of rant*
TazzI

Postby IL1CIT » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:06 pm

TazzI wrote:Bit iffy that his tools weren't letting him in car. Was it giving intermittent messages saying "loss communication"?. ALDL is kinda busy, I find on my bench setup with everything connected, even the tech2 gets lost/confused sometimes depending how much is being spammed. Key programming is time sensitive with the bcm so it could be his tools couldnt keep up in car.

He does this work everyday (Not HSV but std commodores etc) and has never had to link on bench until the other day so i doubt it is his Hana Tech or Autel Maxidas I guess it must be car related.

The issues he was having was "It said link successful but when pulled out the key fob didn't operate the central locking"

silversv6 wrote:The PIM must be reset in the original car it came from, before fitting it to another car, The PIM can also only be reset a maximum of eight times. cheers

I've heard this alot and advise it whenever speaking to others doing swaps BUT i know for a fact at least 2 swaps have been done by people i know without the pims being reset. So I cant explain that.

Will report back after hopefully seeing it tomorrow night
IL1CIT
Starting Ignition

Postby TazzI » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:27 pm

IL1CIT wrote:
TazzI wrote:Bit iffy that his tools weren't letting him in car. Was it giving intermittent messages saying "loss communication"?. ALDL is kinda busy, I find on my bench setup with everything connected, even the tech2 gets lost/confused sometimes depending how much is being spammed. Key programming is time sensitive with the bcm so it could be his tools couldnt keep up in car.

He does this work everyday (Not HSV but std commodores etc) and has never had to link on bench until the other day so i doubt it is his Hana Tech or Autel Maxidas I guess it must be car related.

The issues he was having was "It said link successful but when pulled out the key fob didn't operate the central locking"

silversv6 wrote:The PIM must be reset in the original car it came from, before fitting it to another car, The PIM can also only be reset a maximum of eight times. cheers

I've heard this alot and advise it whenever speaking to others doing swaps BUT i know for a fact at least 2 swaps have been done by people i know without the pims being reset. So I cant explain that.

Will report back after hopefully seeing it tomorrow night

PIM can have its code entered during the linking procedure. This code is wiped and the new code entered is utilized. It is essentially performing the reset procedure. ;)
TazzI

Postby jezzab » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:40 pm

ECM on the other hand should be reset before swapping cars....
Daily Ute - 2009 Holden VE SSV Ute Single Turbo (IQ, E3 Cluster, EDI) - 586rwhp
Drag Ute - 2002 Holden VU SS Twin Turbo - 1010rwhp [SOLD]

All VE/VF Module reprogramming. Remote programming with flash box
http://www.facebook.com/jsbperformance
jezzab
Site Admin

Postby LangasLS » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:46 pm

I've never bothered 'resetting' the ecm's before removal from vehicles, however, you need to reset it before it can be relinked to a different bcm/pim, otherwise you will get a 'pcm already contains vehicle data' message - or something along those lines. I am yet to have an issue doing this in a different vehicle providing you know the security key for the new ECM.(4 digit, same as PIM key).

Also, what tool is he trying to use to link the modules? I'm assuming Tech 2?
LangasLS
Starting Ignition

Postby TazzI » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:52 pm

LangasLS wrote:I've never bothered 'resetting' the ecm's before removal from vehicles, however, you need to reset it before it can be relinked to a different bcm/pim, otherwise you will get a 'pcm already contains vehicle data' message - or something along those lines. I am yet to have an issue doing this in a different vehicle providing you know the security key for the new ECM.(4 digit, same as PIM key).

Also, what tool is he trying to use to link the modules? I'm assuming Tech 2?

Yeah its a tech2.

Ahhhh right. Iv just been resetting both ECU and PIM each time before linking. Im able to reset them on the bench even when linked to different vehicles.
The hard part is knowing with the Immob key is. Since my PIM had already been reset and re-written. So even with the VIN you wouldnt get the write code from Holden. Same goes with the ECU.
TazzI

Postby TazzI » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:26 pm

Soooooo. Howd this all turn out in the end?
TazzI

Postby IL1CIT » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:47 pm

Sorry about the delay been flat out and other things have been on my mind.

Didn't get to look at it again as he ended up taking it to a mate of his that works for Holden... Apparently his friend was able to link all modules on his bench setup and bypass the ISS security without touching the loom or module.

I don't know how but he did apparently;

"I asked him how he by pass it he said he learnt years ago , and I asked how cause there's no diagram for it and he said exactly... He won't say but I guess if he got it done then that's his secret"

Unsure if he did manage to do it or just disabled Vats and pretended he did it the correct way.

Pretty annoying though that i couldn't figure it out
IL1CIT
Starting Ignition

Postby LangasLS » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:15 pm

At a guess he just linked all the modules. Once the BCM and Key are linked and happily in bed together ISS will be happy. Once the ECU+PIM are linked VATS will be happy.
LangasLS
Starting Ignition

PreviousNext

Return to GM Technical Document Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts