Welcome Anonymous !

Everything you need to modify your ride

GM Technical Document Discussion

Upgrading VT and VX Commodore Instrument Clusters

A place to discuss the technical documents for GM vehicles such as Holden, Chevrolet, Opel, Vauxhall, Buick, Cadilac and Daewoo
Forum rules
To gain access to the Invite Only forum you must be invited by a member of that forum. That member will PM the mods or admins (NOT you) saying that they nominate you for access. THEY will be responsible for your actions. If you don't post and just leech info, you will BOTH be removed. Dont send a PM to the moderators or admins asking for access, you really dont want to see the result. If you submit information, you may simply be invited :)

Postby ZerOne » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:44 am

The following forum thread is for discussing the Accessing the Upgrading VT and VX Commodore Instrument Clusters document, located in our Documents section.

Please try to keep posts relevant, and on topic.
Also, please refrain from using the P.M. system to message the author or posters of this thread.
The chances are if you have a question regarding this document, then others will have the same question too.
Using the Forum allows anyone and everyone to both ask and answer questions.
ZerOne
Site Admin

Postby Billy-Gunns » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:55 pm

I have a Vt ss & want to fit a Maloo ute Vu Vx 3 level dash cluster into my Vt SS 5.0 lt ,i have installed it the only thing that wont work is the Transmission over drive power button light wont show on the dash , it has the power light on the old dash worked fine , Can any one help or do they no were & why , Like i explained every thing else works fine , i no that i have to take it and get it callibrated to my car , But can not work out why the transmission over drive power button light wont work ,, ????
Billy-Gunns
Newbie Modder

Postby ZerOne » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:38 am

Hi there Billy Gunns,

The problem might be as simple as a blown or missing globe for the Power Light.

A quick and easy check to see if this is the case is to

1) Hold MODE and UP as you start your car to go in to Cluster diagnostics mode.
2) Press the mode key until you enter the section where all the globes light up on the dash cluster. If the power light doesn't come on, then I think the globe needs replacing. (You could try swapping the good globe from your old instrument cluster, and see if that makes a difference).

I will have a look at the workshop manual for VT Commodores to see if it could be something else, but I thin its just a simple switch input for the Power Globe.

Cheers
Matti
ZerOne
Site Admin

Postby anselmo308 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:39 pm

Hi there,
I have recently upgraded my stock vx ss(ls1 6 speed manual) single display cluster to a vx gts (ls1 6 speed manual) 3 window display.
Everything is working fine except the airbag light is on, so i took it to a local mechanic to reset as i thought it may have had a memory from previous car.
After being reset the light came back on and i was told that the fault is a configuration mismatch.
Anyone know of a way to fix this or reprogram dash/car so fault clears?
My original cluster had 143,000kms and the new GTS one has 71000kms.

Cheers
Lawrence
anselmo308
Newbie Modder

Postby TazzI » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:10 pm

Configuration mismatch can occur when a cluster has a different airbag configuration programmed in compared to the car.

Thus will need to be reprogrammed to your car's airbag configuration (can be done on a tech2 tool)

note: Configuration of the various SRS systems is as follows:
• a 2-loop system is for left-hand drive vehicles with pre-tensioners only.
• a 3-loop system is for vehicles with pretensioners and driver’s air bag only.
• a 4-loop system is for vehicles with pretensioners, driver’s air bag and front passenger’s air bag only.
• a 6-loop system is for vehicles with pretensioners, driver’s air bag, front passenger’s air bag and side air bags.
TazzI

Postby anselmo308 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:19 pm

Thanks for the info TazzI.
Now just have to find someone with the tech2 tool.
anselmo308
Newbie Modder

Postby TazzI » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:17 am

Other diagnostic tools can do it, Try a local ultratune, just call up and ask if they can reprogram the system to the correct airbag configuation, the one down the road from me has a diag tool worth 20K which can do anything to any car.

Good luck.
TazzI

Postby Burger » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:50 pm

Hello All,

I note in the VT VX cluster connection diagram in the document in this site, discussing the different level clusters, that there are two grey wires , pins 5 & 9. No problems with pin 5 as the 'illumination -ve supply'. Checking a piece of wiring from the wreckers indicates pin 9 is a dark green wire. The stated use of pin 9 in the document is for the 'ABS fault indicator'. Only having a second rate workshop wiring diagram, I can't confirm this is correct, but I think one of the temperature sensors uses a dark green wire.

What I am trying to determine is how the temperature gauge gets it's information. The Speedo, Tacho, and Fuel gauge get their information through separate wires/terminals into the cluster, but in the cluster connector makes no mention of a wire from the temerature sender on the engine to the cluster. I thought there was one temperature sensor for the temperature gauge, and one to supply the ECM/PCM, which communicated with the BCM, Cluster and other parts via the serial communications port. This would not seem correct.

Could someone with better wiring diagrams/ knowledge of this system enlighten me on exactly what the two temperature sensors do, and how they do it.

Thanks.
Burger
Kicking Tyres

Postby Rerouter » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:09 pm

Sorry to revive an old thread, but i will soon be faced with upgrading a single lcd VX to a 3 lcd VX, the other functions appear to work, however the fuel does not read correctly at full on the 3 lcd model, i was wondering if the engineering modes could allow me to tweak what value is the correct full point?

Otherwise if the 93C56 eeprom style cluster, would there be anything in the eeprom to define the full point?

I will not have access to the clusters for another week, and am hoping to be prepared in advance

When i do have them, i will be able to measure out the voltages / resistances for each reading if required, (Thanks to Matthew for the pin out)
Rerouter
Starting Ignition

Postby TazzI » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:38 pm

Rerouter wrote:Sorry to revive an old thread, but i will soon be faced with upgrading a single lcd VX to a 3 lcd VX, the other functions appear to work, however the fuel does not read correctly at full on the 3 lcd model, i was wondering if the engineering modes could allow me to tweak what value is the correct full point?

Otherwise if the 93C56 eeprom style cluster, would there be anything in the eeprom to define the full point?

I will not have access to the clusters for another week, and am hoping to be prepared in advance

When i do have them, i will be able to measure out the voltages / resistances for each reading if required, (Thanks to Matthew for the pin out)

Nah I doubt the eng mode will allow you to tweak the fuel gauge values. Rather, you will go better searching through the eeprom. Id assume it will be similar to the vy/vzs and the gauge will have the fuel volumes doubled (eg 75L = 150 = hex96) and the ohms will max out at 250ohmsish.

Since not all these clusters actually have an eeprom. I would believe the only solid way of performing such changes on all clusters will be over ALDL and directly changing parameters over comms ;)
TazzI

Next

Return to GM Technical Document Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts