Welcome Anonymous !

Everything you need to modify your ride

GM Technical Document Discussion

Upgrading VT and VX Commodore Instrument Clusters

A place to discuss the technical documents for GM vehicles such as Holden, Chevrolet, Opel, Vauxhall, Buick, Cadilac and Daewoo
Forum rules
To gain access to the Invite Only forum you must be invited by a member of that forum. That member will PM the mods or admins (NOT you) saying that they nominate you for access. THEY will be responsible for your actions. If you don't post and just leech info, you will BOTH be removed. Dont send a PM to the moderators or admins asking for access, you really dont want to see the result. If you submit information, you may simply be invited :)

Postby jeffa » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:23 am

HI All.
Just a "good news" story to encourage anyone considering a swap from the single display dash to a 3-window model.

My car is a VX S pack. V6 auto normally aspirated.
I did the swap many years ago - successfully.

The 3-widow dash I got was out of a VT V8, so a tad different to the one in the VX.

I first swapped it, and got an airbag light on (probably, as the dash was from a wreckers so probably valid).
The speedo was way out. And various other stuff wasn't right.

So I put the original back in... Airbag light!

I spoke to a local tuning shop. Their price was relatively inexpensive - to fit, reset the airbag light, and calibrate.

Picked it up (only took a few hours). All good!

AND the odometer and speedo (electronic digital) agree 100% with our two GPS units.

Even on many long trips, the odo and the GPS units agree within one kilometer.

Also, being able to go through speed cameras AT the posted limit (usually passing other traffic) without getting a ticket is very reassuring - well worth the cost of calibration alone.

Do it - you wont regret it.
jeffa
Newbie Modder

Postby TazzI » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:11 pm

Great to here some success stories!

The airbag light occurs because the "airbag setup" is stored into the clusters. This is a common traight to see in commodores with a second hand cluster.. and ALOT of mechanics done actually know that the airbag setup needs to be configured.. thus they just try to clear the code... which doesnt go away.. and stille xpect you to pay $80+ for doing nothing!
TazzI

Postby oldn64 » Mon May 28, 2018 12:39 pm

TazzI wrote:Great to here some success stories!

The airbag light occurs because the "airbag setup" is stored into the clusters. This is a common traight to see in commodores with a second hand cluster.. and ALOT of mechanics done actually know that the airbag setup needs to be configured.. thus they just try to clear the code... which doesnt go away.. and still expect you to pay $80+ for doing nothing!

Hello Tazzi,

Is there a setup with no airbag? My mate's racecar is soo annoying because fo this. Obviously we dont want the airbags in the car for racing, but the chimes drive you mad. If we can turn the cluster to be a zero airbag setup that would stop the chimes?

Cheers
oldn64
oldn64
Newbie Modder

Previous

Return to GM Technical Document Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts