Welcome Anonymous !

Everything you need to modify your ride

GM Technical Document Discussion

VE Instrument Cluster EEPROM Programming

A place to discuss the technical documents for GM vehicles such as Holden, Chevrolet, Opel, Vauxhall, Buick, Cadilac and Daewoo
Forum rules
To gain access to the Invite Only forum you must be invited by a member of that forum. That member will PM the mods or admins (NOT you) saying that they nominate you for access. THEY will be responsible for your actions. If you don't post and just leech info, you will BOTH be removed. Dont send a PM to the moderators or admins asking for access, you really dont want to see the result. If you submit information, you may simply be invited :)

Postby gsuggett » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:12 am

Hi everyone. I own a Pontiac G8 GT and did the Cluster swap a few days ago. In the US we have just the standard single LCD. I swapped in what was supposed to be a Cluster out of a 08 Maloo but I believe it is out of a 06-07 from the date of production on the back. I ended up pulling the stock EEPROM data and getting it to work on the new unit. It works great for now with only the center LCD working for now since my girlfriend is driving the car while I am out of town. The only other quirk I have seen so far is the remote start wont work but for now it is acceptable. I tried several different ideas to get it to MPH instead of KPH and ultimately ended up using a modified version of my stock file and it worked without any ABS or Traction errors. On a side note when I was using the modified HSV file my Radio was displaying the Temperature as Celsius instead of Fahrenheit which made my day! I suppose the next thing to do will be to get the Remote start and 3 gauges to display and I will be set!

PS... Thank you everyone for all the great info. While I waited for the parts to arrive here from all corners of the world I read thru here and learned a ton!
gsuggett
Starting Ignition

Postby silversv6 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:04 pm

For those who don't know... VE!!, not sure if it works on earlier models. I found a little trick for when your cluster (3 window) say's "low fuel", hold down the TRIP button while you turn on the key to the reds & it will tell you how many klm's left. Only displays for about 3 seconds then returns back to "low fuel"...cheers
silversv6
Major Contributor

Postby silversv6 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:09 pm

silversv6 wrote:For those who don't know... VE!!, not sure if it works on earlier models. I found a little trick for when your cluster (3 window) say's "low fuel", hold down the TRIP button while you turn on the key to the reds & it will tell you how many klm's left. Only displays for about 3 seconds then returns back to "low fuel"...cheers

Don't know if it works on single window either. Some one try it & let us know..cheers
silversv6
Major Contributor

Postby jezzab » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:28 pm

silversv6 wrote:For those who don't know... VE!!, not sure if it works on earlier models. I found a little trick for when your cluster (3 window) say's "low fuel", hold down the TRIP button while you turn on the key to the reds & it will tell you how many klm's left. Only displays for about 3 seconds then returns back to "low fuel"...cheers

I just fill it up before it gets there ;) I dont like burning my fuel pump out or sucking all the crap up, especially when you have to drop the entire rear suspension to pull the tank out and the fuel filter is in the tank. And you usually hold TRIP while you key on to reset the service reminder.
Daily Ute - 2009 Holden VE SSV Ute Single Turbo (IQ, E3 Cluster, EDI) - 586rwhp
Drag Ute - 2002 Holden VU SS Twin Turbo - 1010rwhp [SOLD]

All VE/VF Module reprogramming. Remote programming with flash box
http://www.facebook.com/jsbperformance
jezzab
Site Admin

Postby silversv6 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:17 pm

Yeh jezzab, that is how I found it. While I was re-setting the service reminder. It came up "range 70k's." And your right...time to fill up!
silversv6
Major Contributor

Postby marcu5 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:25 pm

First time poster, here is my 08 HSV L3 Cluster dump. I think I saw someone else post a dump from the same cluster part number in an earlier thread. This is a virgin dump, and about 81,000k's on it..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
marcu5
Kicking Tyres

Postby marcu5 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:30 pm

Hi all,
I'm running into some issues, I have scoured this forum all the way through (that I have access to) and the Delco forums for information etc.
The car is an 07 VE SS Auto. Original cluster is part # 92204362 "LVL1 SV6" with S/W Ver: 014.018.132 (It must have been updated at some point in the cars past as the sticker on the back of the cluster has SW Ver: 13.15.97 - unless these are two totally different things..)

The cluster I want to put in is from an 08 HSV, unsure on originating car specs but the cluster part # is 92222129 "LVL3 HSV". I didn't get the S/W Ver from the cluster when running but the sticker on the back has S/W Ver: 20.22.115 .

I have done the following changes to the HSV file dump:

What I have done
*VIN
0x005D to 0x0064 (vin number)
0x0295 to 0x029C (vin number)

*KM's
Cloned all the memory locations as shown in that large table to have a "like for like" output.

*0x0142 to 0x0143:
Change to B5FC (My SS) from F9FC (What was the original HSV cluster value)
(Note that my B5FC is slightly different than the B4FC in the "EEPROM Memory Locations and Definitions" table found here: doc-holden-commodore-ve-programming-cluster-eeproms-d57m19.html )

*0x0337 to 0x033F:
Change to 14E47E0500531B0202 (My SS) from 811D7F0500561B0101 (What was the original HSV cluster value)

*0x0346 to 0x0347:
Change to B5FC (My SS) from F9FC (What was the original HSV cluster value)

*0x0330 to 0x0331:
Change to B2FF (My SS) from AFFE (What was the original HSV cluster value)

*0x0327:
Change to 01 (My SS) from 00 (What was the original HSV cluster value)

*0x034C to 0x034D:
Change to 0000 (My SS) from 0101 (What was the original HSV cluster value)

And I still get the dreaded ABS Error!! :x

Side Activity
I changed the following Values in my original SS file and copied to HSV cluster
0x011B - Changed from SS "01" to HSV "00"
0x07D - Changed from SS "01" to HSV "00"
and the outcome was the base SS options worked: all menu's very basic, no errors BUT no triple window display.. :cry:

Where I am at
I have spent all day on this with no luck :( In saying this, I have attached:
*The original SS bin (68285 KM's)
*The original HSV bin (81??? Km's)
*The modified HSV bin (68285 Km's) that I am trying to get to work
*A screen shot from "Hex Editor Neo" showing the only remaining differences of the "original SS" bin and "modified HSV bin" from having done all the above changes. (not including the Side Activity element changes above - hence the term side activity..)

Is anyone able to provide some guidance? :?:
I'm not new to the hex concept by any means (nor software development) and holdens and having them etc.. But this has got me stumped. I recall when I swapped a VX SS cluster into a VX executive 10years ago that holden had to tell the cluster (using Tech 2) what airbag config it had to remove a fault (possibly ABS light came up back them, but there was a light of some sort). I sat with the guy back then when he did it and saw all the options and what he did..

I'm wondering what the outcome would be with holden (or other mechanics that have Bosch and Tech 2 type devices) if I fitted the cluster working to the point I have it now and have them make a slight change (like back then) and that it might work?? :?: :arrow: I would be happy to capture the hex output afterwards and share also..

Thoughts??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
marcu5
Kicking Tyres

Postby marcu5 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:16 pm

Here's my next steps to try:
*I have msenj's Berlina dump and have updated it ready for writing to my HSV L3 cluster. (Thanks msenj!)
Her Berlina FW is similar generation to the original SS cluster I have - could be something - could be nothing..

After going this forum over and over and read reading my values against the tables ( doc-holden-commodore-ve-programming-cluster-eeproms-d57m19.html ) and so on I found that the 0x033C - 0x033F in the table on here have 531C0202 for the SS where as my original SS cluster FW actually has 531B0202 (from the Calais according to the table).
Interesting to the point as that is what msenj's value is set as 531B0202.

*So I will play around with this value in my HSV dump and see if it works, if not I will try some changes in msenj's Berlina dump and see if it works..

Open to suggestions otherwise! :)
marcu5
Kicking Tyres

Postby jezzab » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:19 am

So based on your uploaded bin for your car you have:

SWB
6.0L L98 V8 Engine
6L80E Auto
Sedan
No Navigation fitted
FE2 Suspension

Your modded HSV file is:
SWB
6.0L L98 V8 Engine
6L80E Auto
Sedan
Navigation Fitted
HSV
Daily Ute - 2009 Holden VE SSV Ute Single Turbo (IQ, E3 Cluster, EDI) - 586rwhp
Drag Ute - 2002 Holden VU SS Twin Turbo - 1010rwhp [SOLD]

All VE/VF Module reprogramming. Remote programming with flash box
http://www.facebook.com/jsbperformance
jezzab
Site Admin

Postby marcu5 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:27 am

Thanks for this!
Do I have to disable the "Navigation Fitted" option somewhere in the bin? (Or does someone have the same HSV without Navigation that I can compare against).

And the option on the FE2 vs. HSV suspension, I believe that is a menu option in the Tech2, but how to those settings correspond to HEX bit's that need adjusting. Is there another table with these values in them that someone has posted?

Thanks again!
marcu5
Kicking Tyres

PreviousNext

Return to GM Technical Document Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts