Welcome Anonymous !

Everything you need to modify your ride

GM Technical Document Discussion

Holden VT and VX Instrument Cluster EEPROM Programming

A place to discuss the technical documents for GM vehicles such as Holden, Chevrolet, Opel, Vauxhall, Buick, Cadilac and Daewoo
Forum rules
To gain access to the Invite Only forum you must be invited by a member of that forum. That member will PM the mods or admins (NOT you) saying that they nominate you for access. THEY will be responsible for your actions. If you don't post and just leech info, you will BOTH be removed. Dont send a PM to the moderators or admins asking for access, you really dont want to see the result. If you submit information, you may simply be invited :)

Postby Burger » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:23 pm

Hi All,

I am keenly following this thread, as I need to reset the Km on a three window cluster I'm using to replace a single window one in my VX commodore. The local agents indicate it's about $300 to get the Km adjusted, on a VX cluster, and can't be done in QLD. I also have a silver face plate level 2 cluster, which I think maybe from a VT.

What I have is as follows,

1. Single window VDO level 2 cluster, stamped by GM 25/01/01 (this unit has a white base and a silver face plate, and has a completely different printed circuit backplane to the three window unit)
2. Three window VDO level 3 cluster, stamped by GM 8/12/00 (this unit has a black base, and has the NEC pd780828 microcontroller)
3. The single window cluster in the vehicle.

I have downloaded the 7808 microcontroller series user manual, and it indicates there are 7 or 8 wires need to be soldered onto the chip 'in circuit', connected to a programmer, to modify data memory, or presumably the program. It indicates the display data memory is located at address FA64H to FA7FH.

Has anybody had time to research these microcontrollers?

thanks
Burger
Kicking Tyres

Postby TazzI » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:31 pm

welcome aboard burger

Interesting that you have found people that can change the odo.

Does the VDO level 2 cluster have an eeprom (may be the same as what grunt had on the first couple of pages)
Also do you know what the single lcd cluster in the car has?

As for the NEC pd780828 microcontroller, all the reading iv done has stated that you need to use the nec programmer to read/write these chips.
If using the software with this program, shows that you have to solder 14 (I think) wires to grab a read of the cluster.

Madmn at delco just grabbed a dump from the microcontroller recently..
But I cant make anything of the hex values in this dump. Could be a dodgey dump, who knows.
TazzI

Postby Burger » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:42 pm

Hello TazzI,

To answer your questions,
Yes, it's the same as the photo's 'gruntly' posted earlier in the thread.
No, not at this stage, as the car is still being driven.

I agree that an NEC programmer is necessary, and at this stage I don't one. I just don't know enough about microcontrollers to understand the data I'm looking at. Is this data dump you posted part of the code for the controller to operate, or data to be output to the LCD's. Happy to contribute as I can.

Thanks
Burger
Kicking Tyres

Postby TazzI » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:07 pm

That means you can modify the lvl2 cluster using an eeprom programmer (good news!)

I have a nec programmer on the way, hopefully should help out a bit by getting a few more dumps.

Well micro-controllers are pretty much devices programmed to do specific actions, pretty much like writing software. But when grabbing a dump of it, we do not see the written code, we see the hex values. Its the same when trying to see what pc software is made up of.. you can't see the original coding but can see the hex view of it all.
This looks like a bunch of random numbers and values until we get a few more dumps to compare with or start modifying values to see what they alter.
Im assuming the data present contains everything, lcd info, images, odo values. Dont know till we start modifying the bins.
TazzI

Postby TazzI » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:14 pm

just an update to anyone watching,

Madmn has successfully altered the odo with the software! changed odo locations $05 to $08
TazzI

Postby gruntly69 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:38 pm

Been watching it on DH forum & seems a bit weird without knowing the software, as I'm just used to dumps & the cypher with hex edit!

But careful how you write where locations are as it's actually $4E to $8E on 1 of them & the other is weird & not sure as it's a different size!

Not sure if it's 2 or 3 sections of the read?

where I can see the odo looks like it 37 45 43 37 & repeats another 15 times so 16 in total as other odo readings have!

Surely there has to be an easier way than the NEC programmer!
gruntly69
Contributor

Postby TazzI » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:01 pm

I was hoping for an easier option aswell.. but after researching nec upd, I see to come up with only that nec programmer or an expensive usb nec programmer.
Didnt really come across a whole lot more except looking at some "press on" clips but they seem to be in the order of $100's and even then you would still need to raise pins.

I think the nec programmer just "reads all" data available, as the dumps start from loc 0x0 to end of data.
It tells us where the odo value is stored and does the odo calculation for us.. which is good, but we got no clue how its doing it! need a dump that has the odo reset to zero.. should hopefully give some more indication
TazzI

Postby jezzab » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:30 am

Does anyone have a dump of that Malibu EEF file that was pulled out? I wouldnt mind taking a look
Daily Ute - 2009 Holden VE SSV Ute Single Turbo (IQ, E3 Cluster, EDI) - 586rwhp
Drag Ute - 2002 Holden VU SS Twin Turbo - 1010rwhp [SOLD]

All VE/VF Module reprogramming. Remote programming with flash box
http://www.facebook.com/jsbperformance
jezzab
Site Admin

Postby Burger » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:45 pm

Hello All,

Thanks guy's for the continuing progress of this issue.

After reading a copy of the NEC programmer handbook, I think I'm starting to understand a little of what's going on here. I'm still a little in the dark as to how people determine from these data dumps, what is operating instructions, and what is stored data.

At some stage, I also need to determine how the microcontroller converts the fuel level voltage and outputs it to the gauge. I have a modified fuel tank, which has a more linear rate of progression from empty to full, than the standard tank.

Maybe I need to get one of these NEC programmers another VX cluster and have a play.

Thanks
Burger
Kicking Tyres

Postby gruntly69 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:51 pm

Hey Burger,

If you go to VT-VX dash clusters link in delcohacking.net you'll see the dump & a couple that have been moded for different odo readings to test, but I think without the NEC programmer you not going to know how to get the information off the MCU & even if you do you'd have to try & find ALL the locations for everything!
gruntly69
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to GM Technical Document Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts