Welcome Anonymous !

Everything you need to modify your ride

Interior Modifications

BA/BF ICC (Radio) Mods and Hacking

Specific interior modification information for Ford BA and BF Series Falcons, Fairmonts, Fairlanes, LTD's and FPV models.

Postby Robertau » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:57 pm

GoFastBits wrote:
Hah, sounds like my car, down to the chromatic mirror :P (i stole mine off an FG G6E after some junk on the road smashed my window, really a god send since that rattly BF mirror was quite literally driving me insane)

I like that fascia, mine looks pretty similar, contemplating redoing it to fit a boost gauge too, is that made out of one of those single din mounts (how did you fill yours in?) or is it just metal bent/styled like it? (i'm thinking of bending up some metal, styling it like the ICC but making it longer to fit more stuff)

I should mention my mirror isn't installed yet, i chipped out the window a year ago removing my old one mirror :roll: :lol: but have the wiring in place for when i do a new windscreen. the cars project status at the moment so no biggie there. From memory my mirror came from a explorer but much of a much- ness with the power wires. i worked of the Ba bf wiring to wire it up.

Yep my gauge fascia is made up of one of those single din units. i got the 2 piece one for the auto with the useless deep pocket in it.

process i took was fiberglass a bit of plastic in the hole from behind (was ment to be the idea the plastic ended up not bonding to the glass) done 2 layers in the back. i then added another 4or 5 layers of glass just to make up space to use less bog. then bogged over and sanded out. used hi build spray putty to sand back and give me a nice smooth surface. cut me holes then prime paint and gloss coat.

Still have to re prep the bottom half and re paint. i wasnt happy with the finish and rubbed back too far through the base coat trying to fix it haha

IF i ever come up with a use for extra switches in the car the pocket in the bottom half with that useless pocket which is too deep will be glassed up to make a switch panel. :D

IF i done it over i would use way less fiberglass 5 layers was excessive, and would sandwich a piece of core flute (for sale sign board) between maybe 3 layers then bog.

TazzI wrote:Those triple gauges look mint by the way!.

cheers man, its actually came out exactly as i had visioned it in my crazy head and kind of looks like it should have been factory sitting under the icc. should put a pic of it hooked up :lol:

Rob
Robertau
Starting Ignition

Postby TazzI » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:22 am

Robertau wrote:IF i ever come up with a use for extra switches in the car the pocket in the bottom half with that useless pocket which is too deep will be glassed up to make a switch panel. :D

Oh Im sure we can think of some options... how about... front vision camera?? Should work nicely into playing with these ICC
s!

Robertau wrote:IF i done it over i would use way less fiberglass 5 layers was excessive, and would sandwich a piece of core flute (for sale sign board) between maybe 3 layers then bog.

*cough*.. 3d printer 8-)
Im 100% dedicated to getting a 3d printer... just not sure which one as of yet. Want something that has decent build space but doesnt cost the Earth. Wanted to 3d print my own dual gauge "triangle" piece. I know you can buy them, but want to see if I can design something a bit nicer!
After seeing what you done, would be perfect to make to print out a triple gauge unit which plugs in place!

Robertau wrote:cheers man, its actually came out exactly as i had visioned it in my crazy head and kind of looks like it should have been factory sitting under the icc. should put a pic of it hooked up :lol:

Pics of it hooked up would be mint. Very eager to see how it all looks.
TazzI

Postby TazzI » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:12 pm

The old man got creative today and fitted this crafty piece of work!
Filled in the top din, added in a volts gauge, a little fancy badge and the right side will have a push start button similar to that of the FPV style.

Also converted the standard AUX to a bluetooth system which auto connects on startup... so bluetooth music and handsfree now working!

We are a couple shades off of the ICC colour, but trial and error will prevail. ;)

Grabbed a few video connectors also, and currently wiring one of them up along with a rear camera. Will take some pictures of how the camera pulls up on screen later.
TazzI

Postby TazzI » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:50 am

All the wiring, converter, and little project box all fits nicely behind the insert. Without the insert.. not quite sure where this would all fit nicely and out of sight.

Cameras in place, last thing is to run it through the boot to the ICC. Havent managed to do that yet but will do as soon as its not 30degs outside :lol:
TazzI

Postby TazzI » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:36 am

All thats left now is hooking up to the video connector on the ICC and to work out where to hook this video converter up.

I believe I need to tap into ignition somewhere.. but.. wanted a nice little plug that I can buy or cut off other cars to make a nice little Y-adapter so its plug and play.

Currently the setup has the reverse camera power from the reverse lights. I was originally going to do the same for the video converter.. but figured if a second input is to be connected up then this would need the converter fired from engine start.

Going to have to pull up some wiring diagrams from the BEM I think, might be the closest option for ignition and power.
Also have to checkout which module outputs the reverse lights signal
TazzI

Postby Robertau » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:49 am

TazzI wrote:The old man got creative today and fitted this crafty piece of work!
Filled in the top din, added in a volts gauge, a little fancy badge and the right side will have a push start button similar to that of the FPV style.

Also converted the standard AUX to a bluetooth system which auto connects on startup... so bluetooth music and handsfree now working!

We are a couple shades off of the ICC colour, but trial and error will prevail. ;)

Grabbed a few video connectors also, and currently wiring one of them up along with a rear camera. Will take some pictures of how the camera pulls up on screen later.

That looks mint!
dont mind the look of the carbon wrapped surround on the shifter either

TazzI wrote:Going to have to pull up some wiring diagrams from the BEM I think, might be the closest option for ignition and power.

Also have to checkout which module outputs the reverse lights signal

it sure would be the closest option

signal? as in the power to them? power comes via the fuse panel in the car through the dash loom out C119 (red wire black stripe.) the white connector in the left kick panel picking up the HIM to give it power then through on out to C128 C20. then to the inhibitor switch from memory.
from there back through the C128 or C20( return here has changed to white red stripe, then changes back to red black) under he bonnet. Back to C912 and then to reverse lights hope thats a help can provide a pic if you like

Rob
Robertau
Starting Ignition

Postby TazzI » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:24 pm

Robertau wrote:dont mind the look of the carbon wrapped surround on the shifter either

The old man was experimenting. Looks alright but doesnt really go with the rest of the silver in the car anymore. :lol:

Robertau wrote:it sure would be the closest option

signal? as in the power to them? power comes via the fuse panel in the car through the dash loom out C119 (red wire black stripe.) the white connector in the left kick panel picking up the HIM to give it power then through on out to C128 C20. then to the inhibitor switch from memory.
from there back through the C128 or C20( return here has changed to white red stripe, then changes back to red black) under he bonnet. Back to C912 and then to reverse lights hope thats a help can provide a pic if you like

Rob

Yep thats what I meant, the closest place where the reverse power is transmitted.

Right... Im gonna have to take pictures of some connectors in the kick panel... hopefully Ill spot a red w/ith black stripe in there!
TazzI

Postby TazzI » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:06 am

Realized the best place to grab ignition.. is the good old 12v input that sits all of a few cm's away from the ICC. :lol:

Went to test today.. turned the key... annnnd... blank screen. Then tried starting car... nothing.. Wasnt sure what the go was but then saw battery voltage was 6v.

On charge over night.. and hopefully tomorrow will be some good news :D
TazzI

Postby TazzI » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:39 am

*Sounds trumpets"

After a very... very...long day of confusion and work. Finally managed to get everything all sorted and working as it should.

Rear camera works like a charm. Select reverse, camera fires up and displays on screen. Then when put back to any other gear, the normal screen then appears 8-)

Will grab some snaps of the screen tomorrow once its all back in. Took it out to wrap it up all nicely in some factory loom tape.

Bluetooth aux is mint as well, sounds great and auto connects in car as soon as ignition turned on and wirelessly stream music.

Soooo.. whats next hey?

Iv got two ideas Im going to have a crack at...

1) Duplicate iphone/android screen to ICC screen. This one seems to be a bit tricky from what I can work out. Purchased a few products (yes.. impulse buys) so hopefully one of them works.

2) And on the more technical side of work, I will be developing custom driver interface. Im thinking of something along the lines of double tapping menu to kick in to Ford enhanced mode where the screen then becomes touch enabled (using touch screen overlay) and various gauges/menus can be viewed on screen.
I thought about using a CarPC, but there too expensive, have tedious power requirements for startup and shutdown, slow boot times, bulky and dont provide control of digital or analogue pins.
Soooo that leaves us with a fully embedded solution :D

To get the ball rolling, need to break down the video signal some more to fine tune the sync calibration on the embedded device. Got a brand new logic analyser on the way to help with the micro (or nano?) second timing required! Geeky level 10000 engaged!
TazzI

Postby TazzI » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:22 pm

All fitted and running..
(yes... battery is low... Iv ran it flat multiple times today :lol: Also sun was just coming down, incase anyones wondering about the bright light in the screen!)

Annnnnnd... a quick video of flicking between park and drive! ;)

TazzI

PreviousNext

Return to Interior Modifications

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts