Welcome Anonymous !

Everything you need to modify your ride

Interior Modifications

FG ICC (Radio) Mods and Hacking

Specific interior modification information for Ford BA and BF Series Falcons, Fairmonts, Fairlanes, LTD's and FPV models.

Postby TazzI » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:06 pm

fg6e wrote:Plug 1 is the main cluster plug with the can-bus running through it. Dont think it's possible to run a MK2 cluster on a MK1. MK1 Clusters are part of the PATS immobiliser system. MK2 just needs central car configuration (AS Built Data) does not immobilise the car.

Is there anyway of adding can bus codes from a mk2 to a mk1 cluster

Ok, Didnt know that about the MK1 to MK2 clusters.
Strange they made such a drastic change.

Sooooo its back to solution one. Need a device that will send the required CAN data between HSCAN and MSCAN.

So main things will be:
- Send correct Media type to cluster (Aux, usb ect)
- Send correct commands to HIM
- Send correct dimming
TazzI

Postby fg6e » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:26 pm

TazzI wrote:
fg6e wrote:Plug 1 is the main cluster plug with the can-bus running through it. Dont think it's possible to run a MK2 cluster on a MK1. MK1 Clusters are part of the PATS immobiliser system. MK2 just needs central car configuration (AS Built Data) does not immobilise the car.

Is there anyway of adding can bus codes from a mk2 to a mk1 cluster

Ok, Didnt know that about the MK1 to MK2 clusters.
Strange they made such a drastico

Sooooo its back to solution one. Need a device that will send the required CAN data between HSCAN and MSCAN.

So main things will be:
- Send correct Media type to cluster (Aux, usb ect)
- Send correct commands to HIM
- Send correct dimming

Yeah odd they did such a massive change between both the clusters. Don't know how you would get the media type to show up on the mk1 cluster
fg6e
Starting Ignition

Postby TazzI » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:28 pm

fg6e wrote:Yeah odd they did such a massive change between both the clusters. Don't know how you would get the media type to show up on the mk1 cluster

So based on what you said... what you currently have occuring in your car is the following (Please let me know if I misread!).

When you click the media options on the MK2 ICC, you get the following on the MK1 cluster: AM comes up with MP3 TR1, FM says AUX ect.

What I think is needed to be done is the following:
MK2 ICC <-> Translator box <-> Instrument cluster

The translator will capture the MK2 media commands then format them correctly so the MK1 cluster shows the right options.
For example.. the MK2 ICC might send this for AM: 282 00 02
Where as a MK1 ICC might send this for AM: 282 00 04
When the instrument cluster receives that command from the MK2 ICC, it processes 02 instead of the correct 04 and thats why its saying MP3 instead of AM.

What the translator would do is capture the command from the MK2 ICC (282 00 02) and modify it to the correct option (282 00 04) then send the modified message to the rest of the car.

You dont need to understand the protocol CAN, just need to understand the concept. :)

Next step is to work out all to commands the MK1 and MK2 ICC's send out.
TazzI

Postby fg6e » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:24 pm

Found some information that might be helpful to you

Found this in a old ford TSB

Customers set the desired Over Speed Alert in the instrument
cluster. This figure is constantly monitored to keep the driver informed about the current status
compared with the actual vehicle speed at the time. In order to ensure the integrity of the
information displayed on the instrument cluster, the ICC checks certain data transmitted on the CAN
bus to Instrument Cluster at every ignition cycle.

In certain vehicles however during an ignition cycle a data mismatch error from the ICC may cause
the Over Speed Alert setting to turn OFF.

So i assume that after some key cycles it mustn't be able to read the canbus override module from ASL ?
fg6e
Starting Ignition

Postby TazzI » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:03 am

fg6e wrote:Found some information that might be helpful to you

Found this in a old ford TSB

Customers set the desired Over Speed Alert in the instrument
cluster. This figure is constantly monitored to keep the driver informed about the current status
compared with the actual vehicle speed at the time. In order to ensure the integrity of the
information displayed on the instrument cluster, the ICC checks certain data transmitted on the CAN
bus to Instrument Cluster at every ignition cycle.

In certain vehicles however during an ignition cycle a data mismatch error from the ICC may cause
the Over Speed Alert setting to turn OFF.

So i assume that after some key cycles it mustn't be able to read the canbus override module from ASL ?

Guess it all depends on what the ASL box is actually sending... hmm...

Im gonna have to get some of the key FG parts wired up on bench... too much guesstimates and not enough rock solid testing.
TazzI

Postby BlownGS » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:11 am

Just a little more information for you guys trying to attempt this. The GTF as built will only install correctly on a car that already has SAT NAV. And the secondary program to allow the FDIM update needs a secondary login and password to download. Unless one of you guys have a backdoor access code to receive it
BlownGS
Newbie Modder

Postby TazzI » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:33 pm

BlownGS wrote:Just a little more information for you guys trying to attempt this. The GTF as built will only install correctly on a car that already has SAT NAV. And the secondary program to allow the FDIM update needs a secondary login and password to download. Unless one of you guys have a backdoor access code to receive it

Secondary Program? Are you talking about an online subscription update, or an offline application update?
TazzI

Postby IvanKa » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:39 pm

сдам квартиру комнату
IvanKa
Newbie Modder

Postby 07VESSL98 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:49 pm

Hi
I have a 09 MK1 FG XR6T ute with mk2 ICC installed. Has the usual 4 setting heating / cooling (needs resistor)and dimming issues. But it also has the reverse camera enabled as the screen goes blank in reverse and "check your surroundings" info displayed. I was going to try and hook up a generic type camera to the ICC but for life of me cant find a pinout diagram for the Main 12 pin plug off the patch loom to the ICC. I assume this is the connection for the cam feed in this plug? there is also a light brown plug towards the passenger side thats unused on the back whats this for? has anyone worked out the pinouts for the MK2 ICC plug?
07VESSL98
Newbie Modder

Postby TazzI » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:58 am

07VESSL98 wrote:Hi
I have a 09 MK1 FG XR6T ute with mk2 ICC installed. Has the usual 4 setting heating / cooling (needs resistor)and dimming issues. But it also has the reverse camera enabled as the screen goes blank in reverse and "check your surroundings" info displayed. I was going to try and hook up a generic type camera to the ICC but for life of me cant find a pinout diagram for the Main 12 pin plug off the patch loom to the ICC. I assume this is the connection for the cam feed in this plug? there is also a light brown plug towards the passenger side thats unused on the back whats this for? has anyone worked out the pinouts for the MK2 ICC plug?

Im actually surprised people go for the MK2 ICC upgrades with those issues, would literally drive me mad.
The problem is due to communication conflict, the way the ICC speaks to the car is different to the earlier ICC's which is why the aircon does not work correctly (And dimming).

Pretty sure theres a few free workshop manuals floating around on the web which will indicate the MK2 ICC plug pinouts.
TazzI

PreviousNext

Return to Interior Modifications

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts