Welcome Anonymous !

Everything you need to modify your ride

Interior Modifications

FG ICC (Radio) Mods and Hacking

Specific interior modification information for Ford BA and BF Series Falcons, Fairmonts, Fairlanes, LTD's and FPV models.

Postby fg6e » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:26 pm

Mate with the MK2 icc's there configuration is in ford's (AS BUILT) software for that vehicle (VIN Number).

All colour touch screens pretty much run the same software (Besides sat nav) just different welcome screens.

With the GTF gauges i can only suggest they might run off the software in the cluster for that vehicle (AS Built ) software. ONLY USE ON A FACTORY SAT NAV

Most Dealers wont update the software for the sake of it Only if there is an issue witht he icc they will update it.

With MK2 icc in to MK1 You just need a loom and clear security code and pretty much most features will work. There are issues with the heater and dimming the icc at night needs to be manually done.

Hope this helps you out
fg6e
Starting Ignition

Postby TazzI » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:46 pm

fg6e wrote:Mate with the MK2 icc's there configuration is in ford's (AS BUILT) software for that vehicle (VIN Number).

All colour touch screens pretty much run the same software (Besides sat nav) just different welcome screens.

With the GTF gauges i can only suggest they might run off the software in the cluster for that vehicle (AS Built ) software. ONLY USE ON A FACTORY SAT NAV

Most Dealers wont update the software for the sake of it Only if there is an issue witht he icc they will update it.

With MK2 icc in to MK1 You just need a loom and clear security code and pretty much most features will work. There are issues with the heater and dimming the icc at night needs to be manually done.

Hope this helps you out

Cheers, brilliant info :D

But sounds like you have tinkered with this a bit previously?

Hmm alright, just need to compare a few AS BUILT files, and investigate the communication line during configuration (Not USB updating) to see what else is changed.

Im thinking the gauges in the ICC simply run straight from the data output by the ECU. All the live data is available in the car, the GTF screen is simply monitoring the bus and display that live data on screen.
Well.. could confirm this by emulating data to the ICC.. and see which specific frame changes the live view.. then work out which module is pumping this frame out (Unplug one by one will do!).

Well, Im sure the Ford factory scantools prevent it working on NON-Sat nav units... but.. will be interesting to see if I use my own custom tools. Just like Holdens tools, they prevent alot of flashing as they say "Hardware mismatch", although they can actually be flashed with that update when forced to.

Sounds like a bit of a checklist needed for the MK2 to MK1's:
1) Wiring harness... Check! (Ebay special on the way.. whether it works will be another thing)
2) Clear security code... Guessing this is security linking the ICC into the vehicle.. will need to tinker with this on bench as I dont have a FG to play with yet
3) Right.. heater and dimming issues. Anychance you have more info on that specifically?

Id assume the dimming is automatically controlled in an official MK2 by a photosensor. If this is connected directy to the unit.. this should be easily enough added in. If the "lighting dimming" is sent over the communication gateway, will need to chuck a microcontroller onto the bus to send the correct signals to the unit.. pickup the dimmer from the car.. then convert it to the standard the ICC wants.

As for heater, would need more details to know whats going on.
TazzI

Postby TazzI » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:54 pm

Ah, found info on that heater issue from Mr FPV's posts:
"The items that still require a breakthrough is that the HIM module control ( heater box controls ) is limited to your cooling working only on " LOW " temperature with air con on without full temperature variable to hot. So what you get is 4 funtions : cold ( air cond on ) on LOW, cool outside air with air con off, hot is anything above low, or off. So you still have 4 actual temperature settings, just not variable between cold and hot. Do not confuse this with fan speed, this all works fine, and you still have low to high with variable fan speed in between.

But this can function can be corrected to work if you also change over to a mk11 HIM module to obtain full variable temperature to fix that issue. ( by changing over this mK2 HIM module it will add 30 degrees to the actual displayed outside temperate on screen, but by adding a small resistor ((which I will supply )) in the temp line it will correct it to show correct outside temperature ). None of this is affected if you keep your original him module. Those that are not fussed with this added option need not worry about this part. By the way this mk11 HIM module can be added at any time later and it does not affect the initial conversion.

Another very minor issue is that you wont hear the tapping of screen and remains without sound, but strangely enough it does beep when locking in radio stations."

Right. Heater issue definitely sounds like a communication mismatch.

Eg. MK2 ICC is formatting the heater change commands slightly different to how the MK1 ICC's do it. Will need to decode all the FG MK1 ICC commands, and also all FG MK2 ICC commands, and put a little transaction box in to output the correct command to the bus. ;)
Will see what the workshop manuals say in regards to incoming and outgoing messages.

Or a MK2 HIM is to be fitted with a quick resistor job.. thats not bad to obtain full control again.

The no noise while tapping is interesting though.. Bet thats another can bus command.
TazzI

Postby fg6e » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:21 pm

Yes i have tinkered with these before as i own an FG G6E & The Ford IDS System

Regarding the heater issue MK2 him will not fix the issue 100% as you loose all AUTO mode functions and Fan speed cutting out when in MAX. From what i have found my self is most of the communication comes from the MK2 cluster & PCM.

I have done this conversion in my own vehicle while i still have the MK1 Him in my vehicle ASL did make up a few can-bus override boards for the him issue. While they work to a degree i still get issues. Most of the time the module will work but there is the odd occasion it will not read the module and go straight to hot with the fan on high.(Dimming the screen and leaving it at dull mode can do this. Or 2,3 quick key cycles will also do it.

Dimming issue is again cluster issue. With a mk2 cluster plugged in it will dim automatically at night. With the MK1 cluster you must dim down to 80% to make the screen dim.

From what i know MK2 cluster wont work in a MK1 due to 1 of the plugs being different,Software & cruise control now works from the cluster.

Now ALL BA-FG MK1 use the same him module it's only FG MK2,SZ Territory that got the new him module that isn't compatible with FG MK1.

If you can help me try and get around these issues i would be grateful

Any more info let me know
fg6e
Starting Ignition

Postby TazzI » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:37 pm

fg6e wrote:Yes i have tinkered with these before as i own an FG G6E & The Ford IDS System

Regarding the heater issue MK2 him will not fix the issue 100% as you loose all AUTO mode functions and Fan speed cutting out when in MAX. From what i have found my self is most of the communication comes from the MK2 cluster & PCM.

I have done this conversion in my own vehicle while i still have the MK1 Him in my vehicle ASL did make up a few can-bus override boards for the him issue. While they work to a degree i still get issues. Most of the time the module will work but there is the odd occasion it will not read the module and go straight to hot with the fan on high.(Dimming the screen and leaving it at dull mode can do this. Or 2,3 quick key cycles will also do it.

Dimming issue is again cluster issue. With a mk2 cluster plugged in it will dim automatically at night. With the MK1 cluster you must dim down to 80% to make the screen dim.

From what i know MK2 cluster wont work in a MK1 due to 1 of the plugs being different,Software & cruise control now works from the cluster.

Now ALL BA-FG MK1 use the same him module it's only FG MK2,SZ Territory that got the new him module that isn't compatible with FG MK1.

If you can help me try and get around these issues i would be grateful

Any more info let me know

Im sure with a bit of tinkering we can find a solution.

Using the MK2 HIM, you still get the following issues:
- No Auto mode.
- Fan dies when put to max.

Just going through the manuals now.. see what exactly the cluster is doing then along with him and ICC. Need to compare these with mk2.

Sounds like ASL's module isnt quite up to the task then.. must not be able to keep up with the car communication if it kinda fails with a few too quick key cycles.

.. I'll have a read and drop down some notes. See what the go is.
TazzI

Postby fg6e » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:01 pm

Thanks Mate

With the fan speed you can have it on max then out of no where it will stop for a few seconds then cut back in. From what i been reading on the workshop manual might be PCM related

With the cluster it's the main gateway module for mid and high speed can bus.

Cluster also gives you icc information eg what station or track you are listing to in the main screen. (Does not work with the mk2 icc installed eg AM comes up with MP3 TR1, FM says AUX)

The ASL Board is soldered in to the icc (FDIM Touch screen) can bus pins.

I still have the fitting instructions somewhere if you want to have a look ?

I've done a fair bit of reading in to this from i can personally see the main issue is the software in the clusters
fg6e
Starting Ignition

Postby TazzI » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:34 pm

fg6e wrote:Thanks Mate

With the fan speed you can have it on max then out of no where it will stop for a few seconds then cut back in. From what i been reading on the workshop manual might be PCM related

With the cluster it's the main gateway module for mid and high speed can bus.

Cluster also gives you icc information eg what station or track you are listing to in the main screen. (Does not work with the mk2 icc installed eg AM comes up with MP3 TR1, FM says AUX)

The ASL Board is soldered in to the icc (FDIM Touch screen) can bus pins.

I still have the fitting instructions somewhere if you want to have a look ?

I've done a fair bit of reading in to this from i can personally see the main issue is the software in the clusters

Based on the tech documents, the HIM and PCM work very closely to protect the HVAC system. The PCM can request the aircon system to disable if it detects an issue or thinks an issue is about to occur. Both HIM and PCM are on HSCAN.
So I think you might be experience the above?

Cluster is the network gateway, thats actually a pretty big job.

The HVAC docos explain:
Inputs from ICC pass through to cluster… then from cluster to HIM.. HIM makes the required changes.. then passes info back to display on ICC (Face Display Module FDM)

Also, Cluster receives the data from FDM in regards to illumination. So that makes sense why illumination works with MK2 cluster.

So it sounds like alot of mismatch going on as the MK1 and MK2 clusters pickup and send different data.
So the MK2 ICC sends out saying its now FM.. but the MK1 Cluster thinks the message it received means Aux.

Yeah, fitting instructions and any information you have about the ASL board would be great. Does it have a description for what its actual purpose is?
TazzI

Postby TazzI » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:23 pm

What happens when you select auto mode in the ICC?

I recon it fails to work it out because its receiving incorrect signals which confuses it.
If it doesnt work with a MK2 HIM, MK2 ICC and MK2 Cluster, then its got to be missing/invalid sensor readings.

I think whats required to do this without a MK2 HIM or MK2 cluster, is use a middle man/translator box to:
- Convert MK2 ICC aircon commands to MK1 format and pass onto ICC
- Convert MK2 Audio commands to MK1 format and pass onto ICC

I think ASL tried to do option one.. except they are detecting the MK2 commands and then attempting to just send a MK2 command directly after it. This could cause all sorts of confusion I would have thought?
Intercepting the correct command, modifying and then firing it back out would have been better I think.

The other one to think of is what does the MK1 HIM send back in comparison to the MK2 HIM. I imagine there would be differences.
TazzI

Postby TazzI » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:27 pm

OOoooohhhh, I see.

So theres actually three models of FG colour units:
- FG MK1 Colour
- FG MK2 Colour and touchscreen (Nav or Non Nav)
- FGX Colour and touchscreen

So those GTF's have an FGX ICC.
The FG MK2 seem similar but definitely are not.
TazzI

Postby fg6e » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:42 pm

TazzI wrote:What happens when you select auto mode in the ICC?

I recon it fails to work it out because its receiving incorrect signals which confuses it.
If it doesnt work with a MK2 HIM, MK2 ICC and MK2 Cluster, then its got to be missing/invalid sensor readings.

I think whats required to do this without a MK2 HIM or MK2 cluster, is use a middle man/translator box to:
- Convert MK2 ICC aircon commands to MK1 format and pass onto ICC
- Convert MK2 Audio commands to MK1 format and pass onto ICC

I think ASL tried to do option one.. except they are detecting the MK2 commands and then attempting to just send a MK2 command directly after it. This could cause all sorts of confusion I would have thought?
Intercepting the correct command, modifying and then firing it back out would have been better I think.

The other one to think of is what does the MK1 HIM send back in comparison to the MK2 HIM. I imagine there would be differences.

Selecting AUTO with the MK2 Him will do nothing at all.

The ASL box from what i can gather must send a signal to the fdim to read the mk1 him.

When plugging in the MK2 cluster in to my vehicle the cluster goes nuts with errors digital speedo reads - - -, Fuel and temp gauges read full and high. I do have an MK2 PCM plugged in it cluster does read the PCM and Him,ICC do work. Then you run in to different problems like TCM and ABS module do not read.
fg6e
Starting Ignition

PreviousNext

Return to Interior Modifications

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts