Welcome Anonymous !

Everything you need to modify your ride

Interior Modifications

FG ICC (Radio) Mods and Hacking

Specific interior modification information for Ford BA and BF Series Falcons, Fairmonts, Fairlanes, LTD's and FPV models.

Postby fg6e » Wed May 10, 2017 6:17 pm

TazzI wrote:I guess losing full control over the aircon is a pretty big draw back. Wouldnt blame you, pumping out hot when set to 22 would be pretty annoying.

I think only the GPS module would be needed. The rest can be controlled/simulated/modified using a custom converter box. I thought the GPS was integrated into the headunit to be honest, but looks like its a separate module too (Which is ok).

What makes you think the Airbag module will be required?

One of the FGx workshop manuals actual indicates what each item broadcasts and what the radio receives ect I think. Or maybe it was in the instrument cluster which indicated that information. Either way, Im feeling pretty confident that sync2 will be able to go into both mk1 and mk2.

I'll be getting a mk1 FG first, so mk2 will have to wait till a later date anyways.

Different part number for FGX Airbag module from FG,FG MK2 i would assume the new airbag module has something to do with the emergency assist. GPS Module sits on top of the Cluster. My main concern is the FGX cluster to work in a MK1/MK2 FG. Since all the bem settings now run through it with out using a FGX cluster you have no control over any BEM/Alarm settings since FG mk1/mk2 bem settings run through the ICC. I dont know if the sync 2 radios are vin locked like the FG MK1/MK2
fg6e
Starting Ignition

Postby TazzI » Wed May 10, 2017 6:45 pm

fg6e wrote:Different part number for FGX Airbag module from FG,FG MK2 i would assume the new airbag module has something to do with the emergency assist. GPS Module sits on top of the Cluster. My main concern is the FGX cluster to work in a MK1/MK2 FG. Since all the bem settings now run through it with out using a FGX cluster you have no control over any BEM/Alarm settings since FG mk1/mk2 bem settings run through the ICC. I dont know if the sync 2 radios are vin locked like the FG MK1/MK2

Ah yes I see what your saying in regards to the airbag module. Guess wont know till the sync2 is fitted.

really.. wont know what will happen with anything until the sync 2 is fitted and see what does and doesnt work :lol:

So, are the BEM settings configurations that can be modified/changed from the ICC menus?
Id assume the ICC is reading/writing to the BEM to change these settings.

Reaaaalllyyyy... its not 100% needed... but... should still be accessible in another manner.
Thats another thing to add on the R&D list.. should be able to make a really simple software to read/write those BEM settings. I highly doubt the BEM settings are retained in the ICC itself, otherwise swapping ICC's would cause a shitstorm.

As for getting an FGx cluster running in a MK1/MK2... are there any benefits to the FGx clusters? Other than the BEM settings.. I don't think it has any other major advantages?
FGx cluster would be a whole other drama to make work in a MK1/2, since it acts as the bus master/translator between HSCAN and MSCAN.. so there most likely are some big difference between old vs new
TazzI

Postby TazzI » Wed May 10, 2017 7:04 pm

The GPMS module ontop of the cluster probably 'should' be moved across also. Its technically not needed.. but it places a useful role for updating the nav when connection to satellites is low or on startup.

Should just be a matter of patching it into the MS CAN line, power and ground. Its also got another wire... 'reverse'. Probably leaving it off woud cause the navigation to show your moving forward when in reverse.
TazzI

Postby TazzI » Thu May 11, 2017 8:20 pm

Wow, 180K views on this thread.. 62 messages :lol:

Anyways, looking out for Sync2 radios now. Can only see the one available sold by MrFPV on ebay at $1300.

Had a local wrecker pop one up for around $500 which would have been ideal, should have got it while it was there...

If anyone has a Sync2 radio.. now is the time to chime in :)

Iv spent this afternoon modifying one of my flash boxes to record live data from a vehicle and save to memory card. Gonna go for a stroll through some local car yards and grab some live data logs ;)

Plan is to power up the sync2 on the bench.. and work out exactly what it wants fed into it. Simulate incar communication to it, and see what differs between mk1/2 and FGX.
At least if its powered up on the bench.. should have an idea of what core wiring is required for power and communication and make a rough patch harness to try in an FG (eventually).
TazzI

Postby Dicko101 » Sun May 14, 2017 11:42 am

I hope you guys don't mind me asking as there is probably already a thread somewhere, but while I'm waiting to get a mk2 ICC into my car I want to get auxiliary video and audio into my mk1 ICC. I can't seem to find anything solid on the topic and I don't really want to spend a heap of money at ASL or universalfuse etc when I can do the harness myself. Thanks for any advice.
Dicko101
Starting Ignition

Postby TazzI » Sun May 14, 2017 3:43 pm

Dicko101 wrote:I hope you guys don't mind me asking as there is probably already a thread somewhere, but while I'm waiting to get a mk2 ICC into my car I want to get auxiliary video and audio into my mk1 ICC. I can't seem to find anything solid on the topic and I don't really want to spend a heap of money at ASL or universalfuse etc when I can do the harness myself. Thanks for any advice.

Well, I don't own an FG yet so Im not much use there :lol:
But you can do it cheaper by making your own harness. Just need to grab the MK1 and MK2 ICC wiring diagrams and match each pin :)
Can jump onto the Ford site for $20ish and download all the factory manuals. Probs on the web for free these days though, I imagine someone would have compiled it all and uploaded it for all.

Making a plug and play system is probably the harder part. Iv bought a bunch of different auto plugs in the hope one of them is the correct type for the FG's. Would have probably also been a good idea to look over at the auto shops and see if theres any that are same.. amazing how many same plugs do get used between manufacturers.
TazzI

Postby Dicko101 » Sun May 14, 2017 4:02 pm

TazzI wrote:
Dicko101 wrote:I hope you guys don't mind me asking as there is probably already a thread somewhere, but while I'm waiting to get a mk2 ICC into my car I want to get auxiliary video and audio into my mk1 ICC. I can't seem to find anything solid on the topic and I don't really want to spend a heap of money at ASL or universalfuse etc when I can do the harness myself. Thanks for any advice.

Well, I don't own an FG yet so Im not much use there :lol:
But you can do it cheaper by making your own harness. Just need to grab the MK1 and MK2 ICC wiring diagrams and match each pin :)
Can jump onto the Ford site for $20ish and download all the factory manuals. Probs on the web for free these days though, I imagine someone would have compiled it all and uploaded it for all.

Making a plug and play system is probably the harder part. Iv bought a bunch of different auto plugs in the hope one of them is the correct type for the FG's. Would have probably also been a good idea to look over at the auto shops and see if theres any that are same.. amazing how many same plugs do get used between manufacturers.

Yeah I did read somewhere that there is a plug you need to take from an E series I think but I can't find it now, but that might have been for a B series ICC as I was originally going to buy a BF mk2 ghia. Maybe I'll have a look for those wiring diagrams. Do you happen to know if there is a special way you need to trigger it for video in? And if the audio input for the video is separate or does it use the same line as the factory auxiliary port? Or is any of that info with the diagrams?
Dicko101
Starting Ignition

Postby TazzI » Sun May 14, 2017 6:12 pm

Dicko101 wrote:Yeah I did read somewhere that there is a plug you need to take from an E series I think but I can't find it now, but that might have been for a B series ICC as I was originally going to buy a BF mk2 ghia. Maybe I'll have a look for those wiring diagrams. Do you happen to know if there is a special way you need to trigger it for video in? And if the audio input for the video is separate or does it use the same line as the factory auxiliary port? Or is any of that info with the diagrams?

Ahhh I think I posted a pic of the MK1 plugs a page or two ago.. yep, just copied them below.

The secondary display is actually what the factory navigation used (Just like BA/BFs) and requires ouputting the image via an old school vga connection. The video wires are RGBS.. I believe Ebay sells cheapo composite to VGA converters. 'Composite' is the yellow lead video cable old dvds players used.. or PS2 ect.
To engage the second display, the select wire needs to be connected to ground.

Its pretty much identical to what was required in the BA/BF Falcons for that. Im 'assuming' this wont need any programming like the BA/BF's. Based on what Iv read, they wont. For audio, would need to hook up to the 'nav' audio wires.

As for reverse camera, thatll require programming I believe, then its a straight forward video connection.

TazzI

Postby Dicko101 » Sun May 14, 2017 7:03 pm

TazzI wrote:
Dicko101 wrote:Yeah I did read somewhere that there is a plug you need to take from an E series I think but I can't find it now, but that might have been for a B series ICC as I was originally going to buy a BF mk2 ghia. Maybe I'll have a look for those wiring diagrams. Do you happen to know if there is a special way you need to trigger it for video in? And if the audio input for the video is separate or does it use the same line as the factory auxiliary port? Or is any of that info with the diagrams?

Ahhh I think I posted a pic of the MK1 plugs a page or two ago.. yep, just copied them below.

The secondary display is actually what the factory navigation used (Just like BA/BFs) and requires ouputting the image via an old school vga connection. The video wires are RGBS.. I believe Ebay sells cheapo composite to VGA converters. 'Composite' is the yellow lead video cable old dvds players used.. or PS2 ect.
To engage the second display, the select wire needs to be connected to ground.

Its pretty much identical to what was required in the BA/BF Falcons for that. Im 'assuming' this wont need any programming like the BA/BF's. Based on what Iv read, they wont. For audio, would need to hook up to the 'nav' audio wires.

As for reverse camera, thatll require programming I believe, then its a straight forward video connection.

Ok, so I connect the wires for VGA (R, G, B and sync I presume?) and if I earth NAV select I should get auxiliary video and audio through the nav inputs, it will presumably combine the nav audio from the nav audio input with the selected source since nav usually speaks over audio. I have factory reverse camera so that doesn't matter. Does anyone know what plugs are required for a harness? Also, does anyone know where to get a male and female plug that connects the speakers wires to the ICC? I'm going to also make a harness to integrate an amplifier and patch it into the factory connections.
Dicko101
Starting Ignition

Postby TazzI » Mon May 15, 2017 10:02 am

Dicko101 wrote:Ok, so I connect the wires for VGA (R, G, B and sync I presume?) and if I earth NAV select I should get auxiliary video and audio through the nav inputs, it will presumably combine the nav audio from the nav audio input with the selected source since nav usually speaks over audio.

Yeah thats right!. The secondary video will display up. Just earthing the select with nothing else connected will be a blank screen. Thats how I did it for the BA/BF's.

Dicko101 wrote:I have factory reverse camera so that doesn't matter. Does anyone know what plugs are required for a harness? Also, does anyone know where to get a male and female plug that connects the speakers wires to the ICC? I'm going to also make a harness to integrate an amplifier and patch it into the factory connections.

I don't think anyones going to give that information up freely. I literally just spent $100+ on various different plugs to see if any of them are the right size/fit, pretty much went for anything that was about the right dimensions and pinout.

I might get 1 plug correct.. or all... or possibly none and be a waste of $100+. All part of the joys of R&D.
Anyone providing the plug'n'play harnesses have probably had to do the same thing, so they wont be giving up that information.
TazzI

PreviousNext

Return to Interior Modifications

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts