Welcome Anonymous !

Everything you need to modify your ride

Interior Modifications

FG ICC (Radio) Mods and Hacking

Specific interior modification information for Ford BA and BF Series Falcons, Fairmonts, Fairlanes, LTD's and FPV models.

Postby fg6e » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:44 pm

TazzI wrote:
fg6e wrote:Thanks Mate

With the fan speed you can have it on max then out of no where it will stop for a few seconds then cut back in. From what i been reading on the workshop manual might be PCM related

With the cluster it's the main gateway module for mid and high speed can bus.

Cluster also gives you icc information eg what station or track you are listing to in the main screen. (Does not work with the mk2 icc installed eg AM comes up with MP3 TR1, FM says AUX)

The ASL Board is soldered in to the icc (FDIM Touch screen) can bus pins.

I still have the fitting instructions somewhere if you want to have a look ?

I've done a fair bit of reading in to this from i can personally see the main issue is the software in the clusters

Based on the tech documents, the HIM and PCM work very closely to protect the HVAC system. The PCM can request the aircon system to disable if it detects an issue or thinks an issue is about to occur. Both HIM and PCM are on HSCAN.
So I think you might be experience the above?

Cluster is the network gateway, thats actually a pretty big job.

The HVAC docos explain:
Inputs from ICC pass through to cluster… then from cluster to HIM.. HIM makes the required changes.. then passes info back to display on ICC (Face Display Module FDM)

Also, Cluster receives the data from FDM in regards to illumination. So that makes sense why illumination works with MK2 cluster.

So it sounds like alot of mismatch going on as the MK1 and MK2 clusters pickup and send different data.
So the MK2 ICC sends out saying its now FM.. but the MK1 Cluster thinks the message it received means Aux.

Yeah, fitting instructions and any information you have about the ASL board would be great. Does it have a description for what its actual purpose is?

Trying to find the instructions for the ASL module. The Actual purpose is to use a MK1 him module to read the fdim so all your heater settings work like normal
fg6e
Starting Ignition

Postby fg6e » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:49 pm

TazzI wrote:OOoooohhhh, I see.

So theres actually three models of FG colour units:
- FG MK1 Colour
- FG MK2 Colour and touchscreen (Nav or Non Nav)
- FGX Colour and touchscreen

So those GTF's have an FGX ICC.
The FG MK2 seem similar but definitely are not.

FG Falcon's have the following icc's

FG MK1 - XT,G6,XR Monochrome (black and white screen)
G6E,XR,FPV Premium Sound Colour Screens

FG MK2 XT- Monochrome Screen
G6,XR,FPV Touchscreen Colour (non sat nav)
G6E,XR,FPV Premium Sound colour touch screen with sat nav
GTF Colour Icc with sat nav and additional gauges.

FGX ICC is a different setup and now uses Ford's Sync 2
fg6e
Starting Ignition

Postby TazzI » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:56 pm

fg6e wrote:Selecting AUTO with the MK2 Him will do nothing at all.

The ASL box from what i can gather must send a signal to the fdim to read the mk1 him.

When plugging in the MK2 cluster in to my vehicle the cluster goes nuts with errors digital speedo reads - - -, Fuel and temp gauges read full and high. I do have an MK2 PCM plugged in it cluster does read the PCM and Him,ICC do work. Then you run in to different problems like TCM and ABS module do not read.

OK, does it do anything with the MK1 HIM inserted with the ASL module?
I recon its either due to MK2 HIM looking for specific sensor or something missing there.. or possibly the MK1 cluster doesnt actually send the commands to the HIM and vice versa since the cluster doesnt know to send that 'command'.

That sound about right though with the MK2 cluster, needs to be security linked to the car. I havent checked the pinouts between MK1 and MK2 clusters yet, maybe check that out now. Wouldnt have thought they would change too much there.

fg6e wrote:Trying to find the instructions for the ASL module. The Actual purpose is to use a MK1 him module to read the fdim so all your heater settings work like normal

Was it a custom once off module, or do they have a product page for it? Since if its still not available, then they must have known theres still work to be done on it.

Sounds like they 'almost' had it, but missing some stuff.
Makes sense though, the FDIM processes the action and sends the command.. so the module trys to send the correct command to the MK1 HIM to keep everything happy.
TazzI

Postby fg6e » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:03 pm

TazzI wrote:
fg6e wrote:Selecting AUTO with the MK2 Him will do nothing at all.

The ASL box from what i can gather must send a signal to the fdim to read the mk1 him.

When plugging in the MK2 cluster in to my vehicle the cluster goes nuts with errors digital speedo reads - - -, Fuel and temp gauges read full and high. I do have an MK2 PCM plugged in it cluster does read the PCM and Him,ICC do work. Then you run in to different problems like TCM and ABS module do not read.

OK, does it do anything with the MK1 HIM inserted with the ASL module?
I recon its either due to MK2 HIM looking for specific sensor or something missing there.. or possibly the MK1 cluster doesnt actually send the commands to the HIM and vice versa since the cluster doesnt know to send that 'command'.

That sound about right though with the MK2 cluster, needs to be security linked to the car. I havent checked the pinouts between MK1 and MK2 clusters yet, maybe check that out now. Wouldnt have thought they would change too much there.

fg6e wrote:Trying to find the instructions for the ASL module. The Actual purpose is to use a MK1 him module to read the fdim so all your heater settings work like normal

Was it a custom once off module, or do they have a product page for it? Since if its still not available, then they must have known theres still work to be done on it.

Sounds like they 'almost' had it, but missing some stuff.
Makes sense though, the FDIM processes the action and sends the command.. so the module trys to send the correct command to the MK1 HIM to keep everything happy.

I haven't tried the mk2 cluster with the ASL module yet.

It's not on there website. From what i remember they were only making them on demand think it was called a FG Him fix.
fg6e
Starting Ignition

Postby fg6e » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:08 pm

The pin outs between both the clusters are pretty much the same besides the MK2 cluster has cruise control and fuel cut off working from it. Everything else seems to be the same.
fg6e
Starting Ignition

Postby TazzI » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:13 pm

fg6e wrote:FG Falcon's have the following icc's

FG MK1 - XT,G6,XR Monochrome (black and white screen)
G6E,XR,FPV Premium Sound Colour Screens

FG MK2 XT- Monochrome Screen
G6,XR,FPV Touchscreen Colour (non sat nav)
G6E,XR,FPV Premium Sound colour touch screen with sat nav
GTF Colour Icc with sat nav and additional gauges.

FGX ICC is a different setup and now uses Ford's Sync 2

Only one Im a bit unsure about is the GTF. Since they are 2014.. so that puts them with the FGX types right?

*Edit..
Nevermind.. GTF does use the MK2 ICC. Found some interesting info.
Looks like there was once another smart cookie which was adding the GTF Gauges to stock standard MK2 Colour touch ICC's (So it can be done..) but apparently Ford actually sent out a cease and desist letter.
Not sure on how true this alleged situation was, as I dont see the original posts or other mentions of this.
TazzI

Postby fg6e » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:21 pm

Adding the GTF gauges is no issue with the ford ids just go to AS built on the FDIM it will change it to the GTF setup.

Only issue with this is that every gauge reads MAX. The only gauge that will work is the Voltage.
fg6e
Starting Ignition

Postby TazzI » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:34 pm

fg6e wrote:Adding the GTF gauges is no issue with the ford ids just go to AS built on the FDIM it will change it to the GTF setup.

Only issue with this is that every gauge reads MAX. The only gauge that will work is the Voltage.

Found it:
I'm going to close this thread. We have been advised by FoA as follows:

This feature is Ford proprietary software that is unique to the GT F. Any installation to other vehicles (including other FPV vehicles) has not been validated by Ford and therefore any problems arising from the installation of the software in other vehicles will not be covered by Ford’s new vehicle warranty.

Ford stridently warns against doing so.

Looks like Mr FPV was doing this.. but died off quickly because Ford had a hissy plus the gauges were not displaying correctly.

Easy fix though.. middle man device to send valid data for the other gauges. ;)
TazzI

Postby TazzI » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:40 pm

fg6e wrote:The pin outs between both the clusters are pretty much the same besides the MK2 cluster has cruise control and fuel cut off working from it. Everything else seems to be the same.

Plug 1 seems to be ok, its plug 2 which has heaps of differences. A patch loom would be needed and probably some resistors to keep the cluster happy.
TazzI

Postby fg6e » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:56 pm

TazzI wrote:
fg6e wrote:The pin outs between both the clusters are pretty much the same besides the MK2 cluster has cruise control and fuel cut off working from it. Everything else seems to be the same.

Plug 1 seems to be ok, its plug 2 which has heaps of differences. A patch loom would be needed and probably some resistors to keep the cluster happy.

Plug 1 is the main cluster plug with the can-bus running through it. Dont think it's possible to run a MK2 cluster on a MK1. MK1 Clusters are part of the PATS immobiliser system. MK2 just needs central car configuration (AS Built Data) does not immobilise the car.

Is there anyway of adding can bus codes from a mk2 to a mk1 cluster
fg6e
Starting Ignition

PreviousNext

Return to Interior Modifications

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts