Welcome Anonymous !

Everything you need to modify your ride

Interior Modifications

FG ICC (Radio) Mods and Hacking

Specific interior modification information for Ford BA and BF Series Falcons, Fairmonts, Fairlanes, LTD's and FPV models.

Postby fg6e » Mon May 08, 2017 7:14 pm

TazzI wrote:
fg6e wrote:The plugs for the mk 1 icc are different between colour and monochrome screen

Monochome has 1 plug for the icc

Colour icc has 2 plugs one for the icc it's self the other plug (small) is for reverse camera and factory navigation.

The Main plug on the colour icc is for can bus,power,illumination ect

The Aux/Ipod side comes the the ACM side not the screen it's self

99.9% of the mk1 & mk2 icc are wired up the same main issue between them is the canbus side. Only difference in wiring is at the ACM for the AUX mk2 have 2 AUX one for the touch "beep" other is for music. After having the MK2 icc in my MK1 i am very tempted to go back to the mk1 icc as im getting over the HIM module not working 100%. Even with the him fix i'm still getting hot air when set on 20.

I

Good information right there.

Ahhhh right, I saw the two aux connections in the MK2's, I was unsure what that was all about. Id assume tieing both together may work, depends on the internal setup of the ICC. Some modern devices (Especially bluetooth) ground out the audio lines when not in use to prevent static.

What did you do for your HIM fix? Changed HIM to MK2 and added a resistor?

I used a him temp fix module from ASL that over rides the can bus. This little board is soldered in to the back of the ICC. Unfortunately this does not always work 100% and you get no temperature control at all until it decides to work again.

There isn't really much of a difference between the MK1 & MK2 Icc's there is very little gain going to the MK2 ICC over the MK1. The software on a MK1 icc is more solid compared to the MK2. Seeing ALOT of these playing up now (freezing screens) Blank Screen. Which sometimes means you need a re manufactured ICC since a software update wont fix this issue.
fg6e
Starting Ignition

Postby Dicko101 » Mon May 08, 2017 7:38 pm

As far as I know some of the advantages of mk2 over mk1 are usb, bluetooth music, bigger screen, touch screen. That's enough for me to want to try it, if it doesn't work I can just go back to my stock ICC anyway. One thing I want to know is if you can tap into the touch screen to use it as input for a car pc. On another note, I don't suppose anyone can tell me a good place to access the speaker wires where they are all running together? Or where they all terminate together at the ICC? Maybe with a pinout? I'd like to install a plug and socket so I can make a harness for an amp that will just tap in and make it easy and clean, also so I can remove it and just plug the two ends back together to get back to stock.
Dicko101
Starting Ignition

Postby TazzI » Mon May 08, 2017 9:10 pm

fg6e wrote:I used a him temp fix module from ASL that over rides the can bus. This little board is soldered in to the back of the ICC. Unfortunately this does not always work 100% and you get no temperature control at all until it decides to work again.

There isn't really much of a difference between the MK1 & MK2 Icc's there is very little gain going to the MK2 ICC over the MK1. The software on a MK1 icc is more solid compared to the MK2. Seeing ALOT of these playing up now (freezing screens) Blank Screen. Which sometimes means you need a re manufactured ICC since a software update wont fix this issue.

Hmmm.. not a good job by ASL then..
Its (almost) what I am going to do though, put together a CAN board to inject the correct messages for aircon control.
Im pretty fussy with things like that, Id say Im almost OCD about it :lol: If its not working to a standard that Im happy with, then I wouldn't even bother.

With the ASL unit, is it just taping in directly directly to the two CAN wires? (CAN Low and High)
If thats the case.. then the aircon is probably freaking out since its receiving two commands.. one from the MK2 ICC and one from the ASL module. Two frames sent too quickly may confuse it or be simply ignored... probably why it intermittently works.

What Im implementing is a module that will sit between the car and ICC to do the aircon translation.. so like this:
Rest of Car <-> Bus Translator <-> ICC
I already have the hardware developed.. as I use it on other projects.. just need a MK2 in a MK1 to reverse engineer.
Will be a matter of reverse engineering the MK1 aircon commands.. then the MK2 aircon commands.. then a simple translation! Couple days job.. once I have an FG! :lol:

End goal is getting a sync2 unit working correctly. Going to have to start cutting plugs from FG-X's so make patch looms. Will be a field day with reverse engineering as I imagine its going to require a fair bit more work.

Currently looking to trade in the BA XR8 for a MK1 FG to begin the work.

Also fg6e, did you make up your MK1 to MK2 harness, or bought from ASL?
TazzI

Postby TazzI » Mon May 08, 2017 9:59 pm

Right, so the MK1 plugs. Been looking at the wrong damn plugs all this time!

Can anyone confirm how many wires are coming out of the top of their ICC?

Diagrams show that plug w will have 8 wires
And plug 1 (If fitted) will have 10.

Also looks like a mic needs to be supplied for MK2 ICC's.
TazzI

Postby fg6e » Tue May 09, 2017 8:24 am

Display module 1 plug is for the reverse camera and the factory sat nav.

Display Module 2 is the main icc plug for both monochrome and colour screens.

The asl board is solidered in to the icc board and the canbus pins.

I made up my own harness for the conversion.

Regarding the mic for the mk2 if the mk1 vehicle has factory bluetooth you use the same mic.
fg6e
Starting Ignition

Postby fg6e » Tue May 09, 2017 9:58 am

TazzI wrote:
fg6e wrote:I used a him temp fix module from ASL that over rides the can bus. This little board is soldered in to the back of the ICC. Unfortunately this does not always work 100% and you get no temperature control at all until it decides to work again.

Hmmm.. not a good job by ASL then..
Its (almost) what I am going to do though, put together a CAN board to inject the correct messages for aircon control.
Im pretty fussy with things like that, Id say Im almost OCD about it :lol: If its not working to a standard that Im happy with, then I wouldn't even bother.

With the ASL unit, is it just taping in directly directly to the two CAN wires? (CAN Low and High)
If thats the case.. then the aircon is probably freaking out since its receiving two commands.. one from the MK2 ICC and one from the ASL module. Two frames sent too quickly may confuse it or be simply ignored... probably why it intermittently works.

What Im implementing is a module that will sit between the car and ICC to do the aircon translation.. so like this:
Rest of Car <-> Bus Translator <-> ICC
I already have the hardware developed.. as I use it on other projects.. just need a MK2 in a MK1 to reverse engineer.
Will be a matter of reverse engineering the MK1 aircon commands.. then the MK2 aircon commands.. then a simple translation! Couple days job.. once I have an FG! :lol:

End goal is getting a sync2 unit working correctly. Going to have to start cutting plugs from FG-X's so make patch looms. Will be a field day with reverse engineering as I imagine its going to require a fair bit more work.

Currently looking to trade in the BA XR8 for a MK1 FG to begin the work.

Also fg6e, did you make up your MK1 to MK2 harness, or bought from ASL?

With the fgx sync unit it's a complete different set up including can bus signals. I'll let you know more about it later tonight
fg6e
Starting Ignition

Postby TazzI » Tue May 09, 2017 11:15 am

fg6e wrote:Display module 1 plug is for the reverse camera and the factory sat nav.

Display Module 2 is the main icc plug for both monochrome and colour screens.

Awesome, that matches up with what Im seeing now. Iv been staring at the 'AIM' plug in the manuals which caused the confusion. :lol:

fg6e wrote:The asl board is soldered in to the icc board and the canbus pins.

Ok, so itd be grabbing power, ground and the can wires. So its not isolating the canbus.
Tsk tsk ASL... should have isolated and translated CAN frames on the fly.

fg6e wrote:Regarding the mic for the mk2 if the mk1 vehicle has factory bluetooth you use the same mic.

Figured that might be the case for mic, same situation for the VE's with their headunit conversions.

fg6e wrote:With the fgx sync unit it's a complete different set up including can bus signals. I'll let you know more about it later tonight

Makes sense why theres literally no-one thats (successfully) fitted one.
The CAN Bus signals are no problem, any missing can signals can be simulated and/or translated to compatible mk1/2 format.

I think it might be more a challenge of making it fit nicely due to the cables at the back for the ACM.
Im hoping the plugs for the sync2 on the back will line up with the factory gap/spacing where the mk1/2 ACM plug is. Would probably need to be push that plug of its mounting to make room for the patch loom also.
Annoying part would be sourcing the female socket thats normally fitted to the mk1/2 ACM's to make a plug and play harness for the sync2.

Quick google, here is rear views of Sync2 and Mk2.
TazzI

Postby TazzI » Tue May 09, 2017 5:34 pm

Oky doky, this is going to be a bit of a mess of info/thoughts as I spill it out.

So sync2 does have a bit going on.
Looks like the main plugs are:
- AHU (C-364)
- Sync2 (Also known as APIM) (C-920)
- ECP (Also known as FCIM = Front Controls Interface Module) (C411)

Theres actually 4 CANBus in the car.
1) (HS1) Main HSCAN that connects to ABS, IPC, HVAC ect.
2) (HS2) Appears to link audio parts together (APIM, ACM, FCIM)
3) (HS3) Direct connection to APIM (Sync2)
4) (MS) Communication line between body modules (BCM, APIM, PAM, IPC ect)

Whats interesting.. is the 'SDLC' (Smart data link connector) which states:
"The Smart Data Link Connector connects all 4 CAN
buses together and translates messages to suit
each bus. The SDLC also provides a diagnostics link
by passing diagnostics messages from the HS2 bus
to the MS and HS3 buses."

It goes further on to indicate that the HS1 and HS2 are happily accessible from the SDLC. The MS and HS3 are accessed via the HS2 CAN bus. So.. must be some special commands sent to initiate communication via MS and HS2 (They are diagnostics only by the looks).

Regardless.. HS3 looks like it doesnt do much and isnt needed unless doing updates and HS2 is only for connection between the main radio modules.
Sooooo its just the MS line that will require the converter box to isolate the sync2 (APIM) from the rest of the car. The APIM then connects to the rest of the audio parts and sends a message over HS2. Will be able to capture the HVAC commands (And any others) at the MS intersection.

TazzI

Postby fg6e » Tue May 09, 2017 6:23 pm

I have to pull this mk2 icc out of my car i'm over having this heater constantly on HOT when it's set on 22. The ASL module seems to be doing stuff all now for 2 days it's usually pretty good but im now over it. On the weekend ill be going back to my old icc.

As for the FGX Sync 2 i do believe you might have a chance of getting this to work in a MK2 FG ONLY not a MK1. You will need a few modules to get this to work.

Instrument Cluster - BEM Settings now run through this
Data Link Module
GPS Module
Airbag Module
Reverse Camera

That's all i can think of at the moment
fg6e
Starting Ignition

Postby TazzI » Tue May 09, 2017 9:13 pm

I guess losing full control over the aircon is a pretty big draw back. Wouldnt blame you, pumping out hot when set to 22 would be pretty annoying.

I think only the GPS module would be needed. The rest can be controlled/simulated/modified using a custom converter box. I thought the GPS was integrated into the headunit to be honest, but looks like its a separate module too (Which is ok).

What makes you think the Airbag module will be required?

One of the FGx workshop manuals actual indicates what each item broadcasts and what the radio receives ect I think. Or maybe it was in the instrument cluster which indicated that information. Either way, Im feeling pretty confident that sync2 will be able to go into both mk1 and mk2.

I'll be getting a mk1 FG first, so mk2 will have to wait till a later date anyways.
TazzI

PreviousNext

Return to Interior Modifications

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts