Welcome Anonymous !

Everything you need to modify your ride

Interior Modifications

FG ICC (Radio) Mods and Hacking

Specific interior modification information for Ford BA and BF Series Falcons, Fairmonts, Fairlanes, LTD's and FPV models.

Postby Dicko101 » Mon May 15, 2017 10:20 am

TazzI wrote:
Dicko101 wrote:Ok, so I connect the wires for VGA (R, G, B and sync I presume?) and if I earth NAV select I should get auxiliary video and audio through the nav inputs, it will presumably combine the nav audio from the nav audio input with the selected source since nav usually speaks over audio.

Yeah thats right!. The secondary video will display up. Just earthing the select with nothing else connected will be a blank screen. Thats how I did it for the BA/BF's.

Dicko101 wrote:I have factory reverse camera so that doesn't matter. Does anyone know what plugs are required for a harness? Also, does anyone know where to get a male and female plug that connects the speakers wires to the ICC? I'm going to also make a harness to integrate an amplifier and patch it into the factory connections.

I don't think anyones going to give that information up freely. I literally just spent $100+ on various different plugs to see if any of them are the right size/fit, pretty much went for anything that was about the right dimensions and pinout.

I might get 1 plug correct.. or all... or possibly none and be a waste of $100+. All part of the joys of R&D.
Anyone providing the plug'n'play harnesses have probably had to do the same thing, so they wont be giving up that information.

Cool, might get onto it and sort out a car pc. Yeah maybe I'll see if I can find one at a wreckers or something, or I'll just have to cut and add in an off the shelf plug and socket a couple of inches from the factory one, would prefer the first option obviously.
Dicko101
Starting Ignition

Postby TazzI » Mon May 15, 2017 5:31 pm

I liked the idea of carputer.. but unless you go all out with high end parts, it ends up being too slow booting up. And also shutdown/sleep/wakeup are all things that need to be taken into consideration. Instant turn off of a computer (ignition off) will damage it without performing its correct shutdown.

Using a compatible android box and providing a touchscreen overlay was the only good (Affordable) solution I found.
TazzI

Postby Dicko101 » Mon May 15, 2017 5:56 pm

Yeah I'm still not decided on what platform to use, I want to go with android I think but I haven't really found anything suitable, I've found a 7" capacitive touch screen overlay so as long as it is supported over usb by whatever android box I find that is sorted. I did find a couple of android car PCs that looked ok but the website wasn't very encouraging. There are soft shut down power supply options for PCs that are designed for car use.
Dicko101
Starting Ignition

Postby TazzI » Mon May 15, 2017 6:41 pm

If being able to install 'apps' and stuff isnt a priority (I wouldnt care to be honest..), then a WINCE based machine would be the go. They are extremely fast for boot. Generally used for nav installs, usually have a few options on the main screen like music, video, navigation and settings.

Iv seen a couple options for car PCs for the power side of it all, the power sticks or whatever they call them. About $180 if I recall right?

I was toying with a relay in m BA, was looking into using the CANbus to detect when doors unlocked to switch on relay to power android system. So by time your in the car, its loaded and ready to go. Although wince loads pretty quick regardless.
And then use canbus also to detect when ignition off to then power down the system.

Most wince/android car boxes already have power systems integrated into them with their own const battery/ignition wires, but adding in your own circuit to trigger when car unlocks would be way more effective.
TazzI

Postby Dicko101 » Mon May 15, 2017 7:02 pm

I'd love to be able to tap into the can bus and use it to automate other things, or just manipulate how it handles some things. It would be nice if we could modify the software in the ICC too, but obviously that is a tall order. Yeah if i can find a good android box I'll definitely go that route anyway I think.
Dicko101
Starting Ignition

Postby TazzI » Mon May 15, 2017 8:23 pm

There was a WINCE based system I really wanted, although the minimum order was 25 units. Bit too much just to test out :roll:

After using an android system, Id prefer to go for a WINCE next tim. The android boxes don't particular co-operate with new android updates, including the google play store updates/services so you can't update those.

Bang for buck, Sync2 is beginning to look like a cheaper option still. Since MK2 ICC + Android/WINCE system will cost more.
TazzI

Postby Dicko101 » Mon May 15, 2017 8:48 pm

Yeah that's a good point about the sync2, but is it going to end up a better option to upgrade from mk1 straight to sync2? Or is that going to be a bigger task compatibility wise than mk2? I really don't know even a fraction of what you guys do so if you guys get either working I'll be stoked and install it. I was wondering earlier today too, would it be possible to swap just the mk1 ICC screen section over for the mk2, essentially keeping the mk1 ICC and just upgrading the display to the 8" touch screen? Obviously the touch screen functionality wouldn't be there for the ICC but it could maybe be routed to a car PC, basically just like putting an overlay on the mk1 screen. Just throwing it out there.

*Edit* I just realised the display buttons would be absent from the bezel, they could be re-fitted but that's still an issue.
Dicko101
Starting Ignition

Postby TazzI » Mon May 15, 2017 10:10 pm

Oh, theres a huge amount of work, even that is an understatement for retrofitting the sync2. After some of the things fg6e has mentioned, and also some of the early research done, its going to require a couple wiring looms so it all lines up with the factory MK1 or MK2 harnesses.
The wiring is likely the easy part, the juicy part begins with reverse engineering the communication sent to the sync2 then comparing with mk1/2 to identify any difference/ translation required or any missing frames to keep it happy.

The mk1 to mk2 appears straight forward. Only downfall is the aircon issue which fg6e has indicated. Will be the first thing I work on.
TazzI

Postby Dicko101 » Mon May 15, 2017 10:32 pm

Yeah, I'm just happy you guys are working on it, seems to be in good hands, I just have to wait to enjoy the spoils of your hard work hah.
Dicko101
Starting Ignition

Postby TazzI » Tue May 16, 2017 3:48 pm

Iv got no ETA on getting an FG... so that kinda puts a pause in everything.

Waiting to get a FG MK1 which isn't trashed. Needs to be presentable if being the FG demo car.
TazzI

PreviousNext

Return to Interior Modifications

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts