Welcome Anonymous !

Everything you need to modify your ride

Interior Modifications

FG ICC (Radio) Mods and Hacking

Specific interior modification information for Ford BA and BF Series Falcons, Fairmonts, Fairlanes, LTD's and FPV models.

Postby fg6e » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:24 pm

JeffDav wrote:
fg6e wrote:Which him commands are you after i have both the MK1 & MK2 him modules. i have a ELM 327 but don't know how to log can bus signals.

FGX do run a FG MK2 him module

I do know that FGX do run different steering wheel switches over FG,FG MK2 they run different ohms.

I would assume the "wake up command might be in the cluster" I know SZ Territory do run the same BEM between SZ 1 (FG MK2) & SZ 2 (FGX Falcon). But the FGX Falcon do run a separate BEM over FG,FG 2. Good work getting the sync system to work in a MK1. Back to the workshop manual and do some more reading up. Guess ill be looking for a cheap FGX ICC

Do yourself a favor and get a whole dashboard or at least a dash harness too.

I changed over the dash harness (**** of a job) but the icc is a slightly different size so some grinding was required to make it fit. whilst I'm sure you could make up an adapter there are a lot of cables and with the modification required it would be easier to just swap the dash over, only took me about an hour to get the dash out, and about 3 hours modifying cables before refitting.

Did you use the FGX Loom in the FG or FG loom modified with the sync modules ? What cables did you have to modify ?
fg6e
Starting Ignition

Postby JeffDav » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:05 pm

I used the FGX loom in the FG,

I added / changed the following

*MK1 Cluster plug
*Power for the IC
*Added Yaw Module
*re routed cruise control buttons wiring from FGX IC plug to the PCM
*Fitted FGX RCM
*fitted GPSM
*Fitted MK2 HIM (Fixed outside temp)
*fitted SDLC
*Also i think you may have issues with no brake lights, you will need to re route the brake light power cable from one side to the other
JeffDav
Starting Ignition

Postby fg6e » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:25 pm

Thanks Mate.

From spending all weekend looking at the FG/FGX looms i'm thinking ill use the FG loom and modify the canbus side of things i personally think this will be a lot easier/quicker since the FGX loom does need some minor modification. While the can bus side of the FG looms just needs to be moved from one side of the junction box to the other side. Did the MK2 him sort out your recirc issue ? Any luck with the radio turning on with the vehicle or do you still have to manually turn it on ?

My plan is to get my hands on a FGX loom during the week and convert the whole vehicle to sync including factory camera and parking sensors.
fg6e
Starting Ignition

Postby JeffDav » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:44 pm

fg6e wrote:Thanks Mate.

From spending all weekend looking at the FG/FGX looms i'm thinking ill use the FG loom and modify the canbus side of things i personally think this will be a lot easier/quicker since the FGX loom does need some minor modification. While the can bus side of the FG looms just needs to be moved from one side of the junction box to the other side. Did the MK2 him sort out your recirc issue ? Any luck with the radio turning on with the vehicle or do you still have to manually turn it on ?

My plan is to get my hands on a FGX loom during the week and convert the whole vehicle to sync including factory camera and parking sensors.

Don't forget about the ACM and Antenna plugs, there is mucking around either way, personally i think get a whole fgx dash and add the extras, or go down my path and take the grinder to the back of the old dash to accommodate the new ACM,

Another thing you could try is keep the old acm and just plug the sync screen and see what happens? but i assume there are major changes between the mk1 and fgx acm.

still turning it on manually although (haven't tried yet) if you change the as built data you can change the auto off time to 60min.

FGX him sorted out recirc issues,

The reverse camera will only activate upon receiving the correct command from a fgx system, i need a FGX pcm, bem,ic connected to activate the camera, remove any one of these and it wont activate.

The reverse sensors go through the IC so i don't think you will get it going or maybe without front sensors?

one other possible work around for everything would to be to remove the security from the pcm and theoretically you can plug in any cluster and it should run??
JeffDav
Starting Ignition

Postby fg6e » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:35 pm

So today i finally have my sync 2 icc configured ready to go in. All going to plan i hoping the SZ configuration will work since i purchased a new icc i had to have it configured as they don't come pre programmed from ford. I had to use my SZ 2 Territory to have it configured. I have a few clusters laying around threw in a MK2 cluster in to the SZ which does wake up the icc (lighting up with every error code) but i did noticed something odd when i put the SZ cluster i lost the ABS module and had to reconfigure it. With the MK1 cluster in no wake up command (i might have a fix for this) got a few errors air bag,parking sensors and system comms. All going to plan i can tackle this in a few weeks to get this sync 2 in to my car. I have decided to keep my FG loom and just rewire it to suit the sync after stripping the loom down not much has to be rewired in. Only thing that has to be done is move can bus wires on the junction from one side to the other and solider 3 wires together. Rest is just remove the icc wiring and replace with sync. Unfortunately i cannot get my hands on a FGX dash so ill have to attack it with a grinder I will keep you guys updated with my progress.

JeffDav Did you get any error codes coming up on the cluster when you installed this on your Fg ?

i also have a FGX air bag module ready to go in
fg6e
Starting Ignition

Postby JeffDav » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:48 am

fg6e wrote:So today i finally have my sync 2 icc configured ready to go in. All going to plan i hoping the SZ configuration will work since i purchased a new icc i had to have it configured as they don't come pre programmed from ford. I had to use my SZ 2 Territory to have it configured. I have a few clusters laying around threw in a MK2 cluster in to the SZ which does wake up the icc (lighting up with every error code) but i did noticed something odd when i put the SZ cluster i lost the ABS module and had to reconfigure it. With the MK1 cluster in no wake up command (i might have a fix for this) got a few errors air bag,parking sensors and system comms. All going to plan i can tackle this in a few weeks to get this sync 2 in to my car. I have decided to keep my FG loom and just rewire it to suit the sync after stripping the loom down not much has to be rewired in. Only thing that has to be done is move can bus wires on the junction from one side to the other and solider 3 wires together. Rest is just remove the icc wiring and replace with sync. Unfortunately i cannot get my hands on a FGX dash so ill have to attack it with a grinder I will keep you guys updated with my progress.

JeffDav Did you get any error codes coming up on the cluster when you installed this on your Fg ?

i also have a FGX air bag module ready to go in

The ABS loss of configuration is standard, if its powered up and doesn't have comms it will need to be reconfigured i.e go through the calibration steps.

As for error codes, none on the dash with mk1 setup.

i found some but not all mk2 clusters have the "Wake up" command, happy days if you could get one of these working in a mk1 but i dont think its possible without removing the pcm security
JeffDav
Starting Ignition

Postby fg6e » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:13 am

After doing some reading last night the "wake up command" is done all through can bus on the sync 2 systems. So i assume if someone can make a can bus module to make up a "wake command" then we are set.

I have seen some vehicles do run a ign wire on sync systems (pin 3) on the ACM connector but i don't know what this is for not all of them have this.

Which MK 2 clusters have you tired so far that don't have the "wake up" command?

So i assume when we power up manually long as we touch the radio say every 10 minutes it wont turn off while driving until we press the power button ?
fg6e
Starting Ignition

Postby JeffDav » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:54 pm

I have a cluster from a 2012 LPI falcon which doesn't wake the sync system, but every other mk2 cluster i have tried does work ??

spot on, you turn it on manually then it will run for 30 minutes then turn off regardless of the button pushing or using touch screen, i believe in the as-built this can be changed up to 45 minutes but i haven't tried this yet.
JeffDav
Starting Ignition

Postby fg6e » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:27 pm

I know the as built for the ACM through the ford ids system just loads the correct software on to the ACM gives you no options.

Looks like the "wake up command" comes form the high speed 3 can bus side

So we are stuck with the 30 minute option for now until someone can make up a can bus module to wake up the sync system and keep it awake. May be Tezzl can help us out on this one ?

Kind of strange the LPI cluster doesn't have the "wake up command" in the cluster.

From what i remember the FG/FG MK2 LPI systems did run the same type of can bus system.
fg6e
Starting Ignition

Postby TazzI » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:08 pm

It'll be a simple command thats sent from the cluster. Probably sent once every couple seconds to indicate 'Im awake'.

Iv been away on Holiday, so havent sniffed live data from FGX cluster or MK2 yet.

So, does a MK2 cluster (Not FGX) definitely send the required command/s to keep the Sync2 alive? So its only the MK1 clusters which are missing something? If thats the case, just need raw logs of MK1 cluster in and MK2 cluster in to see the differences.

Better yet, on the bench should work fine, so theres no other chatter from other modules, should make spotting the command/s alot easier.

A little module to sit on the bus is no problem. Power from an ignition wire so its only powered when key on to ensure no battery draining (Even though it only uses about 20-30mA). I have dozens of this exact setup already made (Other projects), just need the command to simulate.
TazzI

PreviousNext

Return to Interior Modifications

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts