Welcome Anonymous !

Everything you need to modify your ride

Interior Modifications

Making your own touchscreen overlay

Specific interior modification information for Holden Commodore VE and VEII Series Commodores, and HSV E1, E2, and E3 models

Postby velj » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:28 am

Hey guys
Was looking in the Internet an wondering what would be needed for a touchscreen overlay DIY, it doesn't seem that hard, does anyone have any ideas of what would be needed for a Maloo head unit series 1,

Once I get all information I can put together a few kits and send them out realllllllly cheap if anyone is intrested?

Thanks
velj
Starting Ignition

Postby ZerOne » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:41 am

A couple of members here have already done this.

One of them has documented what he has done, and what is required on South Coast Commodores.
http://www.southcoastcommodores.com.au/ ... f=8&t=1940

I have converted an Old ASUS eeePC to touch screen, using one of these touch screen kits, and the thing worked a treat.

It looks like the biggest problem is a nie way of wiring the touch screen wires from the fascia, back to the headunit.
(If you ever wanted to remove the fascia quickly that is).

I would be interested in seeing what incar PCs people are running with.
I think current crop of iPad in car PC solutions are very kludgy. (Running a Can adaptor that converts can to IP, then using a wifi adaptor to allow the iPad to connect to the Can adaptor is too many links in the chain, just to use an iPad).

Ultimately I would like to see something with a very fast boot time (Flash Memory), low standby power consumption, hardware Serial ports, hardware and software screen dimming for day/night viewing, and easily accessable hardware wakeup / sleep input.
(Maybe pick up when the LCD backlighting is powered up, and use this to wakeup / sleep the board).

I have an Arm hardware developer kit, that I bought a looong time ago, that runs an Arm flavour of Linux, as well as WinCe5.
Though these days, I would prefer something that ran andriod, so it was really touch friendly.

Something like the open source beagle boards that are out there
http://www.liquidware.com/shop/show/BB- ... leBoard+C4

Has GPIO for controlling stuff, UART (For Can integration), SD Card support, Andriod, etc, etc...
ZerOne
Site Admin

Postby velj » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:27 pm

True il have a look when I'm home, do you no how they can connect it to te iPhone? Like the demon8 kit?
velj
Starting Ignition

Return to Interior Modifications

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts