Welcome Anonymous !

Everything you need to modify your ride

Interior Modifications

Swapping Cluster EEPROMs

Specific interior modification information for Holden Commodore VE and VEII Series Commodores, and HSV E1, E2, and E3 models

Postby beach » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:09 pm

Hi, I have a 2007 VXR8 and got hold of a E3 HSV cluster before doing any home work to see if it will fit. Anyway i have a freind with tech 2 and it will not load the info onto new cluster. So has anyone now done this ? or is it possible to swap the EEPROM over to new cluster and all will work? if not then its up for sale!!!!!!

beach
Starting Ignition

Postby silversv6 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:35 am

Do a good read of the forums on here. I am sure a bit a searching & reading will answer your question. I know that there is a fair bit of info on cluster swaps/programming including E3.
If your cluster has a white back & the E3 has a black back, then I think it will be up for sale.

viewtopic.php?f=806&t=5688&hilit=ve+hsv+cluster

START READING!!
silversv6
Major Contributor

Postby beach » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:51 am

Hi,
Thanks for the reply, it does say the Tech 2 wont load the info to this cluster so just a thought as to the Eprom swap. I would give this ago below i just read

So if you wanted an E3 Cluster in an early model VE, you could get a Calais White back cluster, and a HSV E3 Black cover cluster, swap the faces and plastics around, and fit.
Likewise if you wanted a E1 / Early E2 White Back Cluster in a late model VE, you could get a late model Calais (Black Cover) Cluster, and swap the face and plastics over and o it that way...

Any instructions on this anywhere?
beach
Starting Ignition

Postby silversv6 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:59 am

Yes I am pretty sure there is somewhere here. If I remember correctly, The white back has some screw holes in different positions for the plastics to the black back clusters, so do some reading & you will find almost everything you need to know to do it successfully first go.
silversv6
Major Contributor

Postby beach » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:42 am

I haven't found any info yet, it.s pulling the needles off worries me! I just want the later gauges and white lights and dont mind junking a cluster if thats whats required. If you find anymore out please post
beach
Starting Ignition

Postby ZerOne » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:39 am

Yeah, you won't be able to swap the eeproms over because the white backed clusters and the black backed clusters have completely different eeprom locations and values.

Have a look in the documents section for ve commodore, and have a look at changing the cluster illumination.

The doco has information on how to pull apart the white backed clusters.
(Black backed clusters are easier to pull apart)

Cluster needles are also easy enough, some people us a fork, I tend to use a very small flat bladed screwdriver, and insert it down near the base/stalk of the needle, then twist it to lever the needle upwards.

Your biggest problem here is going to be the angular trim bit (the gauge surround) as that won't fit up to the earlier clusters housing without some modification.

The e3 face won't sit perfectly on the earlier cluster, but it will fit. (It may slide around a bit, but once you fit all the trim bits it will sit nicely and wont cause you any problems)

If you really wanted to fit the cluster up, ultimate wiring conversions (Doubledip) is the only one that I am aware of that can program these up to get working on e1 and e2 hsv/vxr8 models.

I hope this helps ?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4
ZerOne
Site Admin

Postby beach » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:41 am

Thanks, thats great info :D
beach
Starting Ignition

Postby beach » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:38 am

Ok now i have just swapped over the gauge faces and made it all fit, not to bad a job after all. 2 things though the RPM needle is sat to low can i adjust this with Tech 2 ? second anyone in the UK who can change the LED's to white for me? I know there is a how o on this but thats far to complex for my fat fingers. Thanks once again for the help
beach
Starting Ignition

Postby TazzI » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:32 pm

Im not sure on the differences of the two clusters dial faces, but if the rpm and speedo faces are different, in te sense that the needle now sits in a different place, then the speedo/rpm dials need to be completely reconfigured eg reconfigure the stepper motor calibrations.

This is the same problem people had on the vy/vz's, since putting a hsv dial face on a standard gauge required a complete recalibration of the dials.
TazzI

Postby silversv6 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:29 pm

Will the E3 tacho/speedo fit into the VXR8 cluster & work ok?
silversv6
Major Contributor

Next

Return to Interior Modifications

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts