Welcome Anonymous !

Everything you need to modify your ride

Interior Modifications

Swapping Cluster EEPROMs

Specific interior modification information for Holden Commodore VE and VEII Series Commodores, and HSV E1, E2, and E3 models

Postby TazzI » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:07 pm

The gauge faces look quite similar and the numbers *look* like they match up, but Youd need an image of them side by side to double check.

Iv read a few docos from Zerone about changing the lights and also mix/matching parts, looks like some illumination spots/lamps may be in different places ect. So thats another factor to look into when changing the dial faces.

Zerone is the man with this sort of stuff, hes tinkered with alot of the face plates ect.
TazzI

Postby silversv6 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:32 pm

TazzI wrote:The gauge faces look quite similar and the numbers *look* like they match up, but Youd need an image of them side by side to double check.

Iv read a few docos from Zerone about changing the lights and also mix/matching parts, looks like some illumination spots/lamps may be in different places ect. So thats another factor to look into when changing the dial faces.

Zerone is the man with this sort of stuff, hes tinkered with alot of the face plates ect.

Yeh the lighting distribution could be a problem. Just thought it may be an easy way out for him if the instruments are interchangable & calibrated for the E3 facia. And yes, zerOne is da man!!
silversv6
Major Contributor

Postby beach » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:06 pm

TazzI wrote:Im not sure on the differences of the two clusters dial faces, but if the rpm and speedo faces are different, in te sense that the needle now sits in a different place, then the speedo/rpm dials need to be completely reconfigured eg reconfigure the stepper motor calibrations.

This is the same problem people had on the vy/vz's, since putting a hsv dial face on a standard gauge required a complete recalibration of the dials.

How do i go about calibrating the rpm stepper motor?
beach
Starting Ignition

Postby TazzI » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:35 pm

beach wrote:How do i go about calibrating the rpm stepper motor?

You might wanna chuck up a couple images showing the differences in the dial faces first to see if thats the actual problem at hand. Might by the needle is out of place? Or you might actually need to reconfigure the speedo calibrations ect.

Reconfiguring VE clusters/anything VE related isnt my speciality, Im a pre-VE man myself. Im just applying the knowledge and problems Iv had previously.
To be honest, I dont think any scantool will be able to reconfigure this (Let me know if im wrong guys), I dont recall seeing any of these features for any other models in a tech2 or other santools.

Its one of those things that are never changed, and its not practical for a scantool to have this function as there isnt a practical/diagnostic use to it unless changing over faceplates/custom faces.

To fix this up... your moving into the territory of having to do alot of research to figure out where the calibration is stored via the vehicles comms or in the eeprom, even then, youll need to know what to change it too.
More then likely not a simple cut'n'paste job from the new cluster to the old cluster as the formatting of the eeprom locations and data may be different ect.

Again, this is all a stab in the dark.. I am *assuming* that the calibration is even stored in the accessible eeprom and that it is an editable parameter.
TazzI

Postby beach » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:11 am

I have just changed over the gauge faces in my 2007 VXR8 to the E3 HSV the complete cluster will not work with a Tech2 reprograme. So change bits over and reposition the RPM needle and all seems OK, the speedo is in KPM and thats no good to me but i only use the LCD read out and as it's my old cluster i still get MPH.
beach
Starting Ignition

Postby silversv6 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:42 am

beach wrote:Ok now i have just swapped over the gauge faces and made it all fit, not to bad a job after all. 2 things though the RPM needle is sat to low can i adjust this with Tech 2 ? second anyone in the UK who can change the LED's to white for me? I know there is a how o on this but thats far to complex for my fat fingers. Thanks once again for the help

If the needle is sitting below the "0"rpm, you will have to pull the tacho needle off & re-position it correctly as the stalk will go back to the original position, even if you recalibrated it. Recalibrating will only make the stepper motor do more or less turns per pulse/current. It will not change the "start" position of the needle. I just compared my old SV6 cluster to the new Calais cluster & although the SV6 increments get closer/smaller after 100k's, the "0" & the "260" are both in identical positions on both faces. That goes for the tacho as well. Another thing is the Calais needles look slightly longer & heavier than the SV6 ones. They may not be, but they look heavier.
silversv6
Major Contributor

Postby beach » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:57 am

I have repositioned the RPM needle and checked its reading againt the LCD screen in engineering mode and all seems good. The needles on my original cluster are the same as the E3 HSV ones, i will see how it holds up on a test drive! looks good though and little more modern i think. If all holds up OK i really want white illumination on the Speedo and RPM dials.
beach
Starting Ignition

Postby silversv6 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:23 am

beach wrote:I have repositioned the RPM needle and checked its reading againt the LCD screen in engineering mode and all seems good. The needles on my original cluster are the same as the E3 HSV ones, i will see how it holds up on a test drive! looks good though and little more modern i think. If all holds up OK i really want white illumination on the Speedo and RPM dials.

That's good to hear.
I have a 2010 SV6 with a Calais cluster in mine, white dials & lighting. Looks excellent & much easier to read then the red SV6 cluster. I don't know if an Australian Calais cluster would work in your car, but would be easy for white dials & lighting. cheers
silversv6
Major Contributor

Postby gsuggett » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:48 am

Hey beach its good to see someone else messing with a cluster that has mph. When I swapped my cluster from a Pontiac to a E1 HSV I had to modify my original file from my G8 and drop it into the HSV unit to get it to show miles but when I was driving the needle didn't line up since it was in Kilometers. I just used the Center LCD as well to know my reals speed. While I was working on trying to get all 3 windows working I accidentally stumbled upon a way to get the needle to show my actual speed. I'm not sure which part of the file it was in but I can post it on here alone with my original Pontiac file and the original HSV file too. I'm on my phone at the moment so I won't be able to post till I get home. If you post your .bin file from your cluster I can give it a look and try and give you a hand.
gsuggett
Starting Ignition

Postby gsuggett » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:01 am

Here are the files I have been working with and the one I have been using for a bit. I changed out values in the first half of the file to match what my Pontiac had to see if it would keep the MPH and do triple window. I only managed one window but it works and it scales the speed correctly.

Good luck!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gsuggett
Starting Ignition

PreviousNext

Return to Interior Modifications

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts