Welcome Anonymous !

Everything you need to modify your ride

Interior Modifications

Dash fascia swap

Specific interior modification information for Holden Commodore VE and VEII Series Commodores, and HSV E1, E2, and E3 models

Postby rwaldram » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:34 pm

Hi all, firstly I am sorry if this has been covered before, I looked through the help topics and couldn't find it. I have a 2009 VE SS Ute (MY9.5), I want to change the boring grey dash fascia to the colour coded red one. I bought one of these a while ago however until today I hadn't had a chance to do any work on the car.

It wasn't until I had actually pulled the dash cluster out of my car and was about to swap the fascia (basically followed the 'how to' topic on here for swapping the LED's) that I realised there are three noticeable problems with the new fascia:
1) The locating holes are in different positions and are different sizes to the original,
2) The holes for the needles are significantly smaller diameter than the original one (around 3mm difference), and
3) The new one goes up to 280km/h, the original one only goes up to 260 km/h.

Whilst this third one might seem trivial to some people, it actually is a problem, after 120 km/h the numbers are all different.
temporary_zps556148c7.jpg

Do I need to replace the entire speedo cluster (the entire dash cluster?)? or am I just shit out of luck and stuck with the one I've got?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rwaldram
Kicking Tyres

Postby gsuggett » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:12 am

I think you might be able to scale the needle. I have a G8 in the US and it had the same issues when I changed everything over from a 2007 HSV Maloo cluster. What i ended up doing is swapping bits of code till it lined up correctly but that may not work on the newer ones. I had an older Arrow unit to start with (cluster with a white back). That red face you have is off an older white back unit. It might be easier to purchase a complete new black one or to watch for one to come up for sale on a forum or auction website. You may be able to cut it and line it up and it may work.

Greg
gsuggett
Starting Ignition

Return to Interior Modifications

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts