Welcome Anonymous !

Everything you need to modify your ride

Interior Modifications

Series 1 Headunit - funny eeprom reads

Specific interior modification information for Holden Commodore VE and VEII Series Commodores, and HSV E1, E2, and E3 models

Postby pek1973 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:58 am

Hi Guys,

I'll preface my question with letting every know I'm based in Dubai so using ultimate conversions or someone else in Australia to modify the eeprom on a headunit swap is an extremely expensive proposition as couriering a headunit back and forth from Dubai to oz would make the conversion a waste of time and money.

I have a GQ-4X eeprom programmer, and sourced a L3-L4 Headunit with Sat Nav locally. Have read all the posts I could find over the past months, and approached this as a learning process. Am using hex editor xvi32 which reads all the other bin/hex files fine so i can rule out its a hex editor issue.

The chip in the L3-L4 Head unit is a 24C16WP - but the GQ-4X only has 24C16, or other similar chips (ATC24C16, CSI24C16 etc) - all of them read the same as the files below. I'm using a 3M test clip on the board, and have continuity tested the clip to make sure pin 1 is aligned correctly for the reader.

I have successfully read the eeprom of the headunit but it looks nothing like the bin files ive seen from other users. Am wondering whether i have a lemon headunit (ie. dead/corrupted eeprom) or am doing something wrong with the reads.

I'm not after anyone to hold my hand on the file editing but would greatly appreciate a bit of advice on whether i am having a "dumbass" moment on the reads/programmer would be greatly appreciated.

I'm about to resort to plugging the unit into the car and seeing if it fires up (and gives me security mismatch error) but before i tear the car down thought i would run it past you guys.

Incidentally the car i have is a Lumina CR8 which is essentially a HSV E1 that was exported to the Middle East with SS headunit/clusters but with HSV seating/steering wheel etc. Am happy to provide the reads to the forum for both the original and new head unit once I've figured out what i'm doing wrong.

appreciate any help.

PK
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chevrolet CR8 (aka HSV E1 Clubsport)
Borla Cat Back Exhaust
VCM CAI
6L80 Deep Sump Mod.
Pat G. Tune
Bilstein B8, Tein S Tech lowered springs, Superpro Strut mount tops
Parrott MKI 9200 Bluetooth
pek1973
Starting Ignition

Postby doubledip » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:17 pm

bin file are all 'F' s clip not sitting correctly.... may need to clean the legs scrape them with a blade......

whe it reads you will know it is correct....

try also squeezing the clip onto the chip
doubledip

Postby Rerouter » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:38 pm

I Agree, all F's which is what most readers will read if the pins are not making solid contact,

If you have a hot air gun, lift the chip off the board and read it that way,
Rerouter
Starting Ignition

Postby doubledip » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:08 pm

no need to lift chip... you will get a good read with persistence

lifting the chip is fraught with danger of lifting a track etc... especially when its not needed
doubledip

Postby pek1973 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:20 pm

Thanks doubledip & rerouter -will give the legs a scrape and try again.

much appreciated.
Borla Cat Back Exhaust
VCM CAI
6L80 Deep Sump Mod.
Pat G. Tune
pek1973
Starting Ignition

Postby pek1973 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:17 am

BINGO!

Thanks gents, after some scraping, some pushing of the clip in multiple directions i got a successful read, and a subsequent write back of the modified file.

Thanks once again to Doubledip/rerouter - i didnt lift the chip which made life a lot easier.

As promised attached below is the unmodified read from a Sat Nav L3-L4 headunit - supposedly taken out of Lumina Royale (equivalent of a calais).

Once I have the original headunit out (equivalent to SS) I'll have a read of that if it helps anyone?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Borla Cat Back Exhaust
VCM CAI
6L80 Deep Sump Mod.
Pat G. Tune
pek1973
Starting Ignition

Postby pek1973 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:35 pm

Gents,

Another dumbass question - but wanted to test the headunit before I pulled apart the dash to make sure I had it programmed right. When the unit is hooked up (in the passenger wheel well - LHD car), I get the security mismatch message.

The good news is that I changed the headunit colour from blue to red - when i reprogrammed the VIN, and the security mismatch message is in red now so I'm obviously doing something right. 2 quick questions:

1) Do you need the HVAC module changed over the DZ when you test the Headunit? I tested it with the SZ module in just so i could test the HU - could this cause the mismatch message?

2) As this is a second hand unit, is the security mismatch message the same if the fascia isnt matched correctly? Just wondering if I have a mismatched fascia?

Attached is the unmodified bin i pulled off the eprom from the HU, and the final read is what i have written back (modified vin, colour change and hsv start up screen).

Appreciate the help - being in Dubai makes this a real learning process.!
Borla Cat Back Exhaust
VCM CAI
6L80 Deep Sump Mod.
Pat G. Tune
pek1973
Starting Ignition

Postby LangasLS » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:26 pm

1. No, you shouldn't have to swap the HVAC module to get the headunit to work - with a single zone HVAC module and a DZ Headunit the controls simply won't appear on the screen properly and you will have limited/ no control of the HVAC system and a DTC code.

2. There is a possibility the fascia is mismatched - Can you verify where the headunit came from? Alternatively, there is info on this site regarding reading the eeprom in the fascia.

Best of luck!
LangasLS
Starting Ignition

Postby silversv6 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:02 pm

Open your modified .bin & check that you have entered the vin in properly or Read the eprom again & check it against the file you wrote to it to make sure it burnt properly....cheers
silversv6
Major Contributor

Postby pek1973 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:18 pm

UPDATE:

Well after a huge number of tries, I eventually got a proper read by pulling the unit down all the way to the board, and make sure the 3m clip seated properly. Installed in the car and fires up perfectly.

Moved on to replacing the HVAC module, and thats when everything ground to a halt again. I cant find the damn HVAC unit, based on the pictures I've seen on various forums my car doesnt look anything like the other pictures. I have a Chev CR8, which is a HSV E1 with base SS headunit (Lvl 2 unit, no screen) fitted (ie. SZ).

Where I see others have the HVAC unit, I seem to have a small denso unit with only 4 input wires. I'm not sure if I'm missing something or my car doesnt have the same HVAC module as the aussie delivered stuff. If I am right am guessing I may have to modify the harness. I did find a large plug near the passenger (remember LHD) which has some cables looped.

I have pictures but for some reason cant uploads them at this time (keep getting an error).#

any help appreciated
Borla Cat Back Exhaust
VCM CAI
6L80 Deep Sump Mod.
Pat G. Tune
pek1973
Starting Ignition

Next

Return to Interior Modifications