Welcome Anonymous !

Everything you need to modify your ride

Exterior Modifications

Caprice Wing Mirror with Demister fitting to SV6

Specific exterior modification information for Holden Commodore VE and VEII Series Commodores, and HSV E1, E2, and E3 models

Postby ben86b » Fri May 10, 2013 10:26 am

Has anyone tried to install the Caprice/Calais Exterior Mirrors fitted with Demister and Courtesy Light onto a SV6/SS?

I am interested to know what additional wiring needs to be installed and where it needs to be connected for the additional functions to work.

How much different are the looms in the SV6/SS to the looms in a Caprice/Calais?
ben86b
Newbie Modder

Postby ZerOne » Fri May 10, 2013 12:39 pm

Hi Ben,

There will be some missing wiring for the Demist function, as well as the Puddle Lamps.
On the Calais / Caprice, the puddle lamps work independently to the interior lights and parks lamps.
(I.E. they only turn on if the Headlights On with Unlocking function is activated), and they only turn on when the car is unlocked.

This means if you wanted to stay true to the Calais/Caprice wiring, you would need to wire up directly to the BCM, and then try and enable the Puddle Lamp function on the BCM....

Buuuut, having said that, there is nothing stopping you from connecting the puddle lamps up to the Interior lights.
For models that do not have the door lamps (The little lamps at the bottom of the doors), you will be missing the wiring
going from the BCM Interior light feed, through to the doors, (and inside of the doors).

So you would need to add the required wiring though the door transfers, form the cabin.
(You will also need to do this for the demister function, to add the required wires from the cabin, to the door, then through to the mirror).

If you are doing this, you may as well fit the door lamps (the lamps are the same as the sedan boot lamp, which has been used on Commodores since the VB. (It also has been used on Ford Falcon models way back to XD 1981 and possibly earlier).

Personally, the Mirror demist function is a bit useless in Australia. (I have only ever needed it a couple of times, and I find it much quicker to just give the mirror a quick wipe with my finger to get rid of any frost or dew early in the mornings).
But if you are running cabling for the Door/puddle lamps, then its definitely worth while adding a couple more for the demist function. (Just make sure they are of a reasonable gauge and can handle a bit of power).

Hope this helps ?
ZerOne
Site Admin

Return to Exterior Modifications

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts