Welcome Anonymous !

Everything you need to modify your ride

GM Technical Document Discussion

VE Radio / HVAC EEPROM reprogramming information

A place to discuss the technical documents for GM vehicles such as Holden, Chevrolet, Opel, Vauxhall, Buick, Cadilac and Daewoo
Forum rules
To gain access to the Invite Only forum you must be invited by a member of that forum. That member will PM the mods or admins (NOT you) saying that they nominate you for access. THEY will be responsible for your actions. If you don't post and just leech info, you will BOTH be removed. Dont send a PM to the moderators or admins asking for access, you really dont want to see the result. If you submit information, you may simply be invited :)

Postby MartinM » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:23 pm

Crackers02 wrote:Was the SZ HCE and DZ HCE identical? Apart from the gender mode and could it be re-flashed as a DZ? I have an omega; and need to know whether I will also need to get a DZ HCE for my SSV HU. Did you also mention if you don't reflash the SZ HCE with a Auto climate control HU that the fan will spool to 100%?.

Yes the DZ and SZ HCM Modules are physically identical. The SZ HCM module will only accept commands from the standard head unit, the DZ module will only accept commands from the LCD screen type headunit. If you install an LCD headunit with the unchanged SZ HCM left in, the blower will run at 100% and you will have no control over it at all.

The SZ module can be reflashed into a DZ unit if you have the correct equipment. A clip and programmer can do it off the car or an aircon tester can also set the gender, without removing the HCM from the car, via the OBD port

If you change gender using the clip and programmer, you must perform the door relearn procedure as you are actually pushing the entire EEPROM from another HCM, not just gender information
MartinM

Postby Crackers02 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:23 pm

Cheers Martin. Were you able to workout the pinout for the bench testing? I know pin 10 and 14 is (Battery Positive Voltage) and 12 & 14 is ground; is it as simple as hooking up +12V and -12V to these pins?. I am ordering a GQ-4X Programmer this week to re-flash the main board EEPROM and HCE. Is it possible for someone to do a write up on basic use of these programmers for people who have not used these before?.
Crackers02
Newbie Modder

Postby MartinM » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:55 am

Crackers02 wrote:Cheers Martin. Were you able to workout the pinout for the bench testing? I know pin 10 and 14 is (Battery Positive Voltage) and 12 & 14 is ground; is it as simple as hooking up +12V and -12V to these pins?. I am ordering a GQ-4X Programmer this week to re-flash the main board EEPROM and HCE. Is it possible for someone to do a write up on basic use of these programmers for people who have not used these before?.

Hi

No I wasnt able to get my headunits powered up on the bench even following the GM wiring code on the plug, the units power up then lock out in security mode, awaiting msenj's response as she definitely had one that worked on the bench. Just to pickup on a trivial point, it is +12 volts and 0Volts (or GND) which gets connected to the HU (had visions of somebody with a -12 volt capable lab psu firing 24 volts through the HU and frying it).

Anyway, for programming, powering up the units is not required. I am not familiar with the GQ-4X but most programmer software works in roughly the same way:

first you clip onto the chip you are going to read (hoping you also bought a clip and cable to go with your programmer, they don't usually come with one)
with the programmer connected to the pc, you fire up the software and select the type of EEPROM you will be reading/writing
At this point SOME software will tell you which pins to connect the lead to on the programmer.
next you read the existing EEPROM data and save it as a file to backup the original content just in case something goes wrong
with the file still in memory, perform a verify to make sure you really captured the existing content without error
once verified, make a copy of the captured file with a different name then edit it with a hex editor
once the desired changes are made, save the file, open it in the programmer software and program the EEPROM
again verify against the modified file to make sure the chip was successfully programmed
Test the unit in the car (probably best if you don't screw it in until you verify it works).

Some footnotes to these generic instructions based on my experience doing this.
1. make sure you correctly orient pin 1 of the clip to pin 1 of the EEPROM there is the potential to fry the IC if you get it wrong
2. the programmer software is usually pretty flaky, dont be surprised if you get odd messages, badly spelled screens etc etc
3. because the software is flaky, it often reports correct dumps being obtained when in fact what you got was junk.......make sure you verify everything
4. the clips can be a pain in the butt to get seated properly on the chip, take your time to line it up well and often assisting the spring pressure a little helped with mine.
5. the SOIC chips sometimes have a laquered finish over the pins making the connections even less reliable, get a brand new paintbrush and cut the bristles down to around 5 mm and very carefully brush the pins outwards away from the chip to clean them up a little, again this worked well for me
6. read the docs supplied with the programmer, different chips will use different pins of the 40 way ZIF socket for programming (IE not all 8 pin IC's are programmed from the same 8 pins on the 40 way connector on the programmer). some software actually pops up a graphic when you select the chip type, telling you which pins to hook the EEPROM up to.

Out of interest, are you doing the full dual zone HVAC+LCD HU+Sensors conversion or are you doing the single zone+LCD HU with resistors conversion?

Hope this helps
MartinM

Postby Crackers02 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:00 pm

Thanks Martin for the reply; just single zone + LCD HU with the resistors.
Crackers02
Newbie Modder

Postby jezzab » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:00 pm

Anyone had a look at reading the internal EEPROM of the main ECU in the headunit? Anyone got the ECU model or a datasheet?
Daily Ute - 2009 Holden VE SSV Ute Single Turbo (IQ, E3 Cluster, EDI) - 586rwhp
Drag Ute - 2002 Holden VU SS Twin Turbo - 1010rwhp [SOLD]

All VE/VF Module reprogramming. Remote programming with flash box
http://www.facebook.com/jsbperformance
jezzab
Site Admin

Postby MartinM » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:57 pm

renesas again.......m32 i think in the HU....no programming socket so a bit more tricky to hook into
MartinM

Postby jezzab » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:11 pm

Hmm wouldn't mind rippin some bitmaps out.. And pushing some new ones in :p

Guess there must be a JTAG port or SOMETHING somewhere. They have to program them at the factory.
Daily Ute - 2009 Holden VE SSV Ute Single Turbo (IQ, E3 Cluster, EDI) - 586rwhp
Drag Ute - 2002 Holden VU SS Twin Turbo - 1010rwhp [SOLD]

All VE/VF Module reprogramming. Remote programming with flash box
http://www.facebook.com/jsbperformance
jezzab
Site Admin

Postby MartinM » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:30 pm

Here's an IC map of the LCD Headunit Main Unit

1.24C08 EEPROM
2.Renesas M30843FJFP MPU M32C/84
3.TDA7402 Sound processor IC(Bass Treble/Fader etc)
4.TEA6360 5 Band Graphic Equaliser IC
5.MCZ33897CEF SWCAN Tranceiver
6. TLE4269 Low Drop 5 volt regulator
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MartinM

Postby DavoDavo » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:48 pm

msenj wrote:
DavoDavo wrote:Hi all,
It's been very quiet for ages, is there some problem with the forum? Or is it that there is no news to post :?:

I've had wedding, honeymoon, and other half immediately in hospital afterwards. Haven't been near my car in quite a few weeks, except to drive it. :(

Jeez! :shock: I join others in wishing you and your partner well and hope all is OK. Sorry for late response, I've been busy on other things lately.
Good to see you back. :)

Cheers,
Dave.
DavoDavo
Kicking Tyres

Postby DavoDavo » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:59 pm

msenj wrote:
DavoDavo wrote:Something very annoying (apart from the VIM) is that when I select reverse and take the handbrake off, the screen shows the sensor display so I have to press the Aux button to get camera (which is normal I guess), but then the screen immediately switches back to the sensors display and I have to press Aux a second time for the camera to stay on. Anyone know if that's normal?

Not sure on this one. Most likely the reverse module broadcasting that it's active twice. I'll try it when I get back to Melbourne tomorrow night and let you know.

Hi msenj, did you get around to checking this?
A bit more info: If I leave the aux in active all the time, I get the camera input for a second when going into reverse and then it switches to the sensor display and I have to press aux in to get the camera back :roll: .

Cheers,
Dave.
DavoDavo
Kicking Tyres

PreviousNext

Return to GM Technical Document Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts