Welcome Anonymous !

Everything you need to modify your ride

GM Technical Document Discussion

VE Radio / HVAC EEPROM reprogramming information

A place to discuss the technical documents for GM vehicles such as Holden, Chevrolet, Opel, Vauxhall, Buick, Cadilac and Daewoo
Forum rules
To gain access to the Invite Only forum you must be invited by a member of that forum. That member will PM the mods or admins (NOT you) saying that they nominate you for access. THEY will be responsible for your actions. If you don't post and just leech info, you will BOTH be removed. Dont send a PM to the moderators or admins asking for access, you really dont want to see the result. If you submit information, you may simply be invited :)

Postby MartinM » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:39 pm

I eagerly await the results of your SZ HCM reflashed with DZ EEPROM dump, got ya clip yet?
MartinM

Postby msenj » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:43 pm

MartinM wrote:I eagerly await the results of your SZ HCM reflashed with DZ EEPROM dump, got ya clip yet?

Nope. Clip and programmer both ordered on the 9/2.

Programmer coming from Canada, clip from the UK.

I need to program the head unit and swap the heater box (and have the aircon recharged, and rebuild my interior) before I get in to HCM programming.! :|

I'm as eager as you are...

Also, I just got a price on the HVAC tool. $380+GST.
Yeah, no.
Assistant banhammer swinger since 2012...
msenj

Postby ZerOne » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:30 pm

Ive been thinking about this all day...

While it is technically possible that there could be 4 different types of firmware / software for the HCE, I am leaning towards more that this is unlikely...
I am thinking there is a single firmware / software for all HCE types, and the HCE gender is stored in the EEPROM.

(At the very least, I am 100% sure that the calibration data will be stored there).

Here are my reasons why I think this is the case,
1) Flash upgrading software takes a LOT longer than the software setting the EEPROM to change the HCE gender.
(I.E. if you were connected to the GM Slow CAN, and were programming the gender, it would take a lot longer to flash upgrade the software, than to set a couple of bytes in EEPROM)...
This would cause nightmares for Spare Parts and Service Departments, as you would need to upload a complete flash upgrade, before you sold/fitted the product

2) There is a lot of data in those EEPROM dumps, much more than what I would expect for JUST calibration data...

3) The Processor in this thing is pretty powerful, and would easily be capable of storing comprehensive software that could support all four HCE genders if required.

4) With Every GM Lan device we have messed with so far, the software has supported every possible iteration of the vehicle out there.
Eg. The Omega cluster that I have works with the V8, it supports the Sat Nav directions information, it even supports the triple window LCD mode (If the hardware was there to drive it all)
The same can be said for the head unit, The HSV R8 unit supports Sat-Nav, it supports the park assist (Even though R8s dont have that feature), and it supports the rear seat DVD player....

5) It may be possible that these guys dont realise the hardware of these devices, and how that all works...
I have seen soooo many posts saying that programming clusters, and the Radio MUST be done via the GM LAN. (Mostly via Tech2)....
And yet here we have found a Hardware solution to do the same thing, without the expensive software, for two of the most complex Single Wire Can devices in the car. (Cluster and Head Unit)....

In the end, Even if this was the case. I dont think anyone here will be buying the programmer, as it would be much cheaper to source a DZ HCE from a wrecker, or even Holden Spare parts...
ZerOne
Site Admin

Postby MartinM » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:09 pm

Just read a previous post from msenj regarding switched power line control for an amp

I expect you already know this but since it could save you some tears I am going to post it anyway.

If you place a relay coil across the Amplifier IC V++ pin and ground, whatever you do, do not forget to decouple the back EMF with a diode else you will probably fry every semiconductor on the board

Might not happen first time, or second but wont take long and your HU will be a gonna....permanently

I would choose an opto-isolated relay over a coil actuated device as you dont get the inductive issues
MartinM

Postby msenj » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:24 pm

Clip and programmer have finally arrived.

Here is an unmodified dump of my HSV headunit.

-Starts up with HSV logo.
-Starts up with "Senator Signature 040" at the bottom.
-Red text.
-Navigation button.
-Conforms to the "Older Models" address locations from here.
-Reports as having the AHU MCU version of 6.22
-Shows the VXR8 logo if $034C is set to 05, and a blank screen if it's set to 06 (i.e no Pontiac logo).

Enjoy...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
msenj

Postby msenj » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:05 pm

And because I'm feeling saucy, here is an unmodified dump from my dual zone HCE.

I'll probably pull the single zone one and get a dump from it on Wednesday or Thursday.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
msenj

Postby msenj » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:23 am

Have sent jezzab a PM about the VIM and reverse camera addresses.

Rather conveniently (read: Oh dammit), I'm not going to have my tailshaft back until Tuesday. It was supposed to be overnight, and now it's going to be a week and then some. :cry:

This has screwed my schedule quite a lot for doing the HVAC/interior conversion... Please, stay tuned.
msenj

Postby msenj » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:34 pm

Still not heard back from jezzab, so I've started mapping out all the addresses myself.

I honestly doubt I'll ever actually get the reverse camera byte(s), but I'll be damned if I'm not going to try.

The spreadsheet I've created with all the addresses I've found so far is here on Google Docs.

Feel free to add these to the technical document if you'd like, Matti.

Update: I have now made a map of the EEPROM dump and am populating it with all the known address locations and their functions... Link to follow soon.
msenj

Postby msenj » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:09 pm

Have mapped out all the addresses in the EEPROM in to this spreadsheet.

Green cells or groups of cells with red borders and comments are known addresses, grey cells are unknown addresses, and red cells (at least from this dump) are set to a value of FF.

I'm hoping this will give us a better idea of the exact addressing scheme of the ROM. I'll upload new ones as I add and discover more addresses.

Enjoy! :mrgreen:
msenj

Postby MartinM » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:55 pm

Thanks for the input msenj, just keeping the thread alive, I am one step closer to a development lab being setup (desks arriving today) so should have some "machines that go ping" in action pretty soon and will hopefully be able to nail this one down.

will keep the forum posted
MartinM

PreviousNext

Return to GM Technical Document Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts