Welcome Anonymous !

Everything you need to modify your ride

GM Technical Document Discussion

VE Radio / HVAC EEPROM reprogramming information

A place to discuss the technical documents for GM vehicles such as Holden, Chevrolet, Opel, Vauxhall, Buick, Cadilac and Daewoo
Forum rules
To gain access to the Invite Only forum you must be invited by a member of that forum. That member will PM the mods or admins (NOT you) saying that they nominate you for access. THEY will be responsible for your actions. If you don't post and just leech info, you will BOTH be removed. Dont send a PM to the moderators or admins asking for access, you really dont want to see the result. If you submit information, you may simply be invited :)

Postby TazzI » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:14 am

msenj, are you reading the eeproms while power is on in the unit!?! I never did that with the clusters as I thought "power from eeprom + power from board = bang", thought it would be easier sniffing the packets sent and received from the car and mapping out the different addresses for each button...read something recently which seemed related.. check out here if your interested: gmlan hack

Pity there is not as many functions on the vy/vz radio, nav and reverse cam would top it off nicely.
In saying that, the aftermarket deck I have doesn't allow its reverse camera function unless camera is plugged in. Does the reverse camera link into the head unit or somewhere else?

ahhh you dont really need a volunteer msenj.. how hard can it be to work on a computer while driving? Im sure its as easy as taking a photo at 100kmh... haha. :D
TazzI

Postby jezzab » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:24 am

It's handy sometimes having a dyno :p

Do you have your bin file of your head unit with the reverse park sensors enabled handy?
Daily Ute - 2009 Holden VE SSV Ute Single Turbo (IQ, E3 Cluster, EDI) - 586rwhp
Drag Ute - 2002 Holden VU SS Twin Turbo - 1010rwhp [SOLD]

All VE/VF Module reprogramming. Remote programming with flash box
http://www.facebook.com/jsbperformance
jezzab
Site Admin

Postby MartinM » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:12 am

jezzab wrote:The 30291FC is full programmable and has an in built EEPROM that can be programmed numerous ways.

Hi jezza

According to the Renesas data sheet, the 30291FC has an optional flash memory portion, I assume this is what you refered to as an the built in EEPROM, but whether it has this feature depends which variant you chose in your design. The ones with this have a 4Kb boot sector and as you rightly say, can be configured numerous ways.

It also has a built in CAN function set and a native i2C inteface which is why it snaps together in building blocks with the other IC's so well in an Automotive system.

I notice a second interface cable socket on the board and will be back tracing this to find out where it goes. Thoughts are that it is either a connector for factory flashing of the unit or is an output to drive analogue gauges (like in the HSV triple dial system)

Also, Matti I agree with Doupledip, these posts should go in a SIC thread but have posted again here until you make that call.
MartinM

Postby msenj » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:18 pm

TazzI wrote:msenj, are you reading the eeproms while power is on in the unit!?! I never did that with the clusters as I thought "power from eeprom + power from board = bang", thought it would be easier sniffing the packets sent and received from the car and mapping out the different addresses for each button...read something recently which seemed related.. check out here if your interested: gmlan hack

I disconnected the Vss line from my test clip. It still read the EEPROM fine. Also worked this way when I had it powered up on my workbench mapping everything out.

TazzI wrote:Pity there is not as many functions on the vy/vz radio, nav and reverse cam would top it off nicely.
In saying that, the aftermarket deck I have doesn't allow its reverse camera function unless camera is plugged in. Does the reverse camera link into the head unit or somewhere else?

There is a module between the head unit and the camera mentioned in the service manual and shown on the schematic diagrams, but they don't go in to a great deal of detail as to what it does. I don't have the diagram to hand, but I'm pretty sure it has video in and out and a GMLAN connection. I'll have to double check.

TazzI wrote:ahhh you dont really need a volunteer msenj.. how hard can it be to work on a computer while driving? Im sure its as easy as taking a photo at 100kmh... haha. :D

Well, it's a bit more difficult than snapping one photo on a deserted freeway at night. I was going to be the passenger in this case - Far easier to do that and just ask the other half nicely to pull over or move off when I want to read things rather than doing it by myself. The clip is installed inside the unit inside the car at the moment, so when I do want to do it, all I'll need is to remove my glovebox and I then have access to attach the programmer to it...

jezzab wrote:It's handy sometimes having a dyno :p

Do you have your bin file of your head unit with the reverse park sensors enabled handy?

Sure is. Would have also been handy to have while diagnosing this tail shaft issue I'm currently dealing with.

If I borrow a set of corner scales, and use Dynolicious on the iPhone or nick my mate's GTech, then I'll be able to do at least one thing a dyno is good for! :P

Might try running them both side by side with the same settings and see if they both return the same results.

As for the bin, it's attached...

(it is actually a zip file, I haven't just added ".zip" to the end to upload it)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Assistant banhammer swinger since 2012...
msenj

Postby ZerOne » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:24 pm

Hi Everyone,

I tried moved the posts for the SIC (Double and Triple Gauges for SSV Models) to the SIC Thread in the Interior Modifications Section.

Which can be found here
VE Factory SIC Information

Cheers
Matti
ZerOne
Site Admin

Postby msenj » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:53 pm

Just flicked through the service manual, looking at connectors, harnesses, etc.

The video input for Rear Aux, which is connected to the roof DVD player normally, is signal to pin 14, ground to pin 5.
The video input for the Reversing Camera (drum roll please) is signal to pin 15, ground to pin 6.

These pins are on the head unit's X7 connector, which is the wide black one above the main harness, and also has the RGB input from the navigation module on it.

The head unit has two separate composite video inputs, which means an external switching relay (as used in the JHP setup) isn't needed with the OEM reversing camera, either. This also solidifies my theory that the JHP reversing camera add-on is just mode switching over GMLAN, rather than actually enabling the reverse camera in the head unit's software.

What threw me about the manual, and had me thinking there was a module in the middle, is that they refer to the mirror with the LCD screen in it (if you get the camera on an Omega or SV6) as the "Rearview Camera Image Display Module" without actually specifying that it's the rear view mirror... I had to work it out by looking at schematics and comparing the RPO codes.

From what I can deduce from trawling through the manual, enabling the rear camera OEM style involves setting the mystery bit correctly in the head unit (which enables the reverse camera input), connecting the camera to those two pins on the X7 connector, and powering the camera from the reverse lights. That's basically it.

(I'm thinking about adding a female DB15 connector to the side of my head unit and running all the external A/V inputs to that, and then making my own breakout cable attached to the car loom with VGA, A/V and reverse camera video inputs on it.)
msenj

Postby DavoDavo » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:29 pm

msenj wrote:Just flicked through the service manual, looking at connectors, harnesses, etc.

The video input for Rear Aux, which is connected to the roof DVD player normally, is signal to pin 14, ground to pin 5.
The video input for the Reversing Camera (drum roll please) is signal to pin 15, ground to pin 6.

Aha! I have my reverse camera connected to pins 14 and 5, so that's the roof mounted DVD player?
All the info I had seen on the web said to use 14 and 5 :!:

Thanks msenj :D

I wonder if I connect it to pins 15 and 6 whether it bypasses the VIM PITA and displays the guidelines that I have seen on some web pages?
I'll rip my dash to bits again as soon as I can and change pins. Incidentally, I got the correct plug parts from RadioSpares, had to wait for a little while as most of it had to come from England but it didn't take long (10 days). Well worth it to have the correct locking plug, no chance of wires shorting or falling off the pins.

Go to http://australia.rs-online.com/web/ and order the following:
Stock Number 6812783 - Crimp Contact Female (comes in packs of 10 at $2.10 each pack)
Stock Number 7313233 - Shield 18 Way Quadlock (Only comes in pack of 5 unfortunately, at $6.30 each pack)
Stock Number 7187167 - Housing FH 18 Way Rec ($1.90 each)

Prices do not include GST but shipping is free.

Cheers,
Dave.
DavoDavo
Kicking Tyres

Postby DavoDavo » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:15 pm

Well, I connected the camera to pins 15 and 6 but no display I'm afraid, just a blank screen - the audio for the rear sensors still worked though.
I started the engine, but didn't move the car (didn't see how that would make a difference) and checked that the original pins still work - I left those in the plug and put in a separate video connector so I could swap between the two - but nothing.
Couldn't see anything in the head unit menu (it's a VE Calais) about how to turn the Aux input off, in case that had anything to do with it.
So I'm back to using the Aux-In.
Incidentally, the info I have (http://www.universalfuze.com/uploads/VE ... n_Help.pdf) says that pin 6 is (CVBS2 Com) and pin15 is (CVBS2) and that signal descriptions enclosed by ( ) are listed as Protection - whatever that means. Also pin 2 is listed as (Shield) - does something need to be connected to that? (I wouldn't think so, I don't know why it would need a separate shield). And, the same info says that the factory screen only has one video input. :?

Anybody got any clues? Maybe a byte somewhere needs the bits flipping to tell the head unit that it has a camera and enable the required pins?

Thanks,
Dave.
P.S. - Something very annoying (apart from the VIM) is that when I select reverse and take the handbrake off, the screen shows the sensor display so I have to press the Aux button to get camera (which is normal I guess), but then the screen immediately switches back to the sensors display and I have to press Aux a second time for the camera to stay on. Anyone know if that's normal?
DavoDavo
Kicking Tyres

Postby msenj » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:54 pm

DavoDavo wrote:Aha! I have my reverse camera connected to pins 14 and 5, so that's the roof mounted DVD player?
All the info I had seen on the web said to use 14 and 5 :!:

That'd be because all the aftermarket camera options use the rear aux input and a switching relay instead of the OEM camera input.

DavoDavo wrote:I wonder if I connect it to pins 15 and 6 whether it bypasses the VIM PITA and displays the guidelines that I have seen on some web pages?

I don't think so. VIM shouldn't be an issue but I'm fairly sure you need to enable the camera in the software of the head unit. I'm playing around with this, but kinda don't have time at the moment - getting married in two weeks and have a honeymoon after.

DavoDavo wrote:I'll rip my dash to bits again as soon as I can and change pins. Incidentally, I got the correct plug parts from RadioSpares, had to wait for a little while as most of it had to come from England but it didn't take long (10 days). Well worth it to have the correct locking plug, no chance of wires shorting or falling off the pins.

Go to http://australia.rs-online.com/web/ and order the following:
Stock Number 6812783 - Crimp Contact Female (comes in packs of 10 at $2.10 each pack)
Stock Number 7313233 - Shield 18 Way Quadlock (Only comes in pack of 5 unfortunately, at $6.30 each pack)
Stock Number 7187167 - Housing FH 18 Way Rec ($1.90 each)

Prices do not include GST but shipping is free.
Cheers,
Dave.

I was wondering if these connectors were available from RS or element14. Most of the non-Delphi specific connectors in the VEs appear to be made by TE and some by Tyco. Will order a few of these myself next week. Ta for finding the part numbers out. :)
msenj

Postby msenj » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:20 pm

DavoDavo wrote:Well, I connected the camera to pins 15 and 6 but no display I'm afraid, just a blank screen - the audio for the rear sensors still worked though.
I started the engine, but didn't move the car (didn't see how that would make a difference) and checked that the original pins still work - I left those in the plug and put in a separate video connector so I could swap between the two - but nothing.
Couldn't see anything in the head unit menu (it's a VE Calais) about how to turn the Aux input off, in case that had anything to do with it.

Anybody got any clues? Maybe a byte somewhere needs the bits flipping to tell the head unit that it has a camera and enable the required pins?

That's almost certainly the case.

DavoDavo wrote:pin 2 is listed as (Shield) - does something need to be connected to that? (I wouldn't think so, I don't know why it would need a separate shield). And, the same info says that the factory screen only has one video input. :?

JHP and the others (whoever wrote your instructions) are selling a reverse camera add-on that uses the rear aux input and forces the head unit to switch to it when the car is put in to reverse - this is why they also have a video switching relay to switch between the camera and another device so they share the one input.

The shielding on the video cable is connected to the stereo to reduce interference from the long cable run. I wouldn't be surprised if they used a shielded twisted pair in the factory video cable(s) rather than a coaxial cable - this will be what I'll be using for all the video cables in my home-made loom.

DavoDavo wrote:Something very annoying (apart from the VIM) is that when I select reverse and take the handbrake off, the screen shows the sensor display so I have to press the Aux button to get camera (which is normal I guess), but then the screen immediately switches back to the sensors display and I have to press Aux a second time for the camera to stay on. Anyone know if that's normal?

Not sure on this one. Most likely the reverse module broadcasting that it's active twice. I'll try it when I get back to Melbourne tomorrow night and let you know.
msenj

PreviousNext

Return to GM Technical Document Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts