Welcome Anonymous !

Everything you need to modify your ride

GM Technical Document Discussion

Holden VT and VX Instrument Cluster EEPROM Programming

A place to discuss the technical documents for GM vehicles such as Holden, Chevrolet, Opel, Vauxhall, Buick, Cadilac and Daewoo
Forum rules
To gain access to the Invite Only forum you must be invited by a member of that forum. That member will PM the mods or admins (NOT you) saying that they nominate you for access. THEY will be responsible for your actions. If you don't post and just leech info, you will BOTH be removed. Dont send a PM to the moderators or admins asking for access, you really dont want to see the result. If you submit information, you may simply be invited :)

Postby TazzI » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:50 am

Be interesting to know whats stored on a vy/vz mcu... are dotmatrix images stored withing these?

As said by Grunt previously on Delco, odo is calculated pretty much the same.. eg. 100 000 + 1440 = 101 440... divide by 16 = 6340 .. convert to hex = 18C4 ... then FFFF - 18C4 = E73B
I'm still a little in the dark as to how people determine from these data dumps, what is operating instructions, and what is stored data.

Its all a matter of a systematic trial and error approach to discover where certain data is stored. Odo would have been found by simply grabbing a dump then driving a few kilometers then grabbing another and comparing the difference.

When you say a "modified fuel tank" do you mean you changed the fuel sender or something? as changing fuel sender will change the Ohms reading sent by the sender to the cluster.. hence cluster may need to be calibrated for the sender to provide correct readings.
VY/VZ clusters store both the ohms value and the corresponding tank volume, I reckon that these do the same. Same with lpg values,speedo,revs calibrations ect.
TazzI

Postby Burger » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:20 pm

Hello TazzI,

In relation to the fuel comment, I have the standard VX "in tank" pump/level gauge, but I have a non-standard tank which is much squarer. The standard tank fits under, and on the filler side, around, the spare tyre well.

Sounds like I need an NEC programmer, there seems lots of options on the net, and I think I read not to get a USB job. Any preferences in terms of what's available?

Thanks.
Burger
Kicking Tyres

Postby LangasLS » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:15 am

Time to revive an old thread! If anyone has a good clean dump from a VT Level 3 cluster - could you please post it up?

I'm playing with a VT L3 cluster at the moment but have had limited success with the 93S56 Eeprom. I've managed to get a 93C56 Eeprom working in the cluster but it is behaving strangely. What programmers are people using to program the 93S56

Simon
LangasLS
Starting Ignition

Postby LangasLS » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:37 am

Disregard my previous post. My initial dump from the 93S56 was rubbish. I was able to obtain a clean read of the chip using my junk Keeprog (believe it or not), however I could not write to it.

I had some new 93C56 Eeproms left over from a previous project so was able to write my modified BIN to one of those and bingo - it works.

So, a 93C56 works perfectly in a VT cluster. As far as my understanding goes the 93S56 has the security bits enabled whereas the 93C56 is able to be written to as per normal.
LangasLS
Starting Ignition

Postby TazzI » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:30 pm

LangasLS wrote:Disregard my previous post. My initial dump from the 93S56 was rubbish. I was able to obtain a clean read of the chip using my junk Keeprog (believe it or not), however I could not write to it.

I had some new 93C56 Eeproms left over from a previous project so was able to write my modified BIN to one of those and bingo - it works.

So, a 93C56 works perfectly in a VT cluster. As far as my understanding goes the 93S56 has the security bits enabled whereas the 93C56 is able to be written to as per normal.

Yeah I think thats where the "S" comes into it on those 93S56 chips.
Iv heard a couple success stories including your own, but others seem to have the "strange" behaviour occur causing the cluster to do a few weird things. This could be due to poor initial reads like you had at the beggining?

I use a GQ-4 for everything. Pay that little bit more for something thats alot more solid and instant support when needed ;)
TazzI

Postby LangasLS » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:43 pm

I've been using a Willem PCB45 for most things, but its a bit long in the tooth now and device support is somewhat limited. Good excuse to upgrade!

Cluster is in the car and working - it was obviously out of a V6 Berlina / Calais as in my S1 VX SS the tacho is reading too low and the airbag config is wrong. Everything else worked fine though - Traction lights, ABS, Trip Computer functions are good. I have a friend with a Tech 2 who is going to change the cluster config for me - I will post up a before and after dump from the eeprom as to see what changed - I'm assuming that information is stored in the eeprom.

ODO ticks over correctly and all cluster functions (other than config related tacho and airbag) seem fine - I can see no issues with the 93C56 in place of the 93S56.
LangasLS
Starting Ignition

Postby Aaronawady » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:15 am

whats up man. i had an issue with my cluster where only my heat and fuel gauges where working changed the LS batteries and bobs your uncle problem solved, however you mentioned that you put a friends cluster in and you still had the same result so it could not be that, did you put your cluster in your friends car to see if it was giving the same issues?
Aaronawady
Newbie Modder

Postby jezzab » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:19 pm

Aaronawady wrote:whats up man. i had an issue with my cluster where only my heat and fuel gauges where working changed the LS batteries and bobs your uncle problem solved, however you mentioned that you put a friends cluster in and you still had the same result so it could not be that, did you put your cluster in your friends car to see if it was giving the same issues?

The post you are replying to is 3 years old.....
Daily Ute - 2009 Holden VE SSV Ute Single Turbo (IQ, E3 Cluster, EDI) - 586rwhp
Drag Ute - 2002 Holden VU SS Twin Turbo - 1010rwhp [SOLD]

All VE/VF Module reprogramming. Remote programming with flash box
http://www.facebook.com/jsbperformance
jezzab
Site Admin

Previous

Return to GM Technical Document Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts