Welcome Anonymous !

Everything you need to modify your ride

GM Technical Document Discussion

VE Instrument Cluster EEPROM Programming

A place to discuss the technical documents for GM vehicles such as Holden, Chevrolet, Opel, Vauxhall, Buick, Cadilac and Daewoo
Forum rules
To gain access to the Invite Only forum you must be invited by a member of that forum. That member will PM the mods or admins (NOT you) saying that they nominate you for access. THEY will be responsible for your actions. If you don't post and just leech info, you will BOTH be removed. Dont send a PM to the moderators or admins asking for access, you really dont want to see the result. If you submit information, you may simply be invited :)

Postby ZerOne » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:00 am

The following forum thread is for discussing the VE Instrument Cluster EEPROM programming document, located in our Documents section.

Please try to keep posts relevant, and on topic.
Also, please refrain from using the P.M. system to message the author or posters of this thread.
The chances are if you have a question regarding this document, then others will have the same question too.
Using the Forum allows anyone and everyone to both ask and answer questions.
ZerOne
Site Admin

Postby ZerOne » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:37 am

Update : The original thread on topic has been cleaned up, and all the relevant information from this thread has now been added to the associated document.
ZerOne
Site Admin

Postby ZerOne » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:17 pm

Latest Update,
I think I have sorted out the Single, Triple LCD Screen EEPROM Issue.

I should now be able to Enable the Trip Computer functions on a single window LCD Cluster.
And I am 100% sure of how to enable the Trip Computer functions on the triple window clusters.

The Trip Computer functions is also linked to the Transmission Options.
Surprisingly the HSV and Omega Triple LCD window option setting is exactly the same. (There must be more bytes that specify the details of what to display).
I had the HSV Sports Mode working as well as the Single Window Trip Computer functions working on the Omega Display.

At the moment, I have no idea on how to get the Auto Trans sport button to work the same way as the Calais EEPROM, and also have the trip computer functions work on the single LCD display.
Hopefully this is not a big problem.....

The EEPROM generation code is almost complete.
I have successfully tested the code for generating a Calais EEPROM. This works fine.
The Odo Generation code needs a little bit of work though.
The Omega EEPROM generation looks OK, the transmission settings were not being generated properly.
The HSV EEPROM was stuffed... SO this will need some work.

Hopefully I can have something running by the end of next week for people to try.
ZerOne
Site Admin

Postby ZerOne » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:06 pm

A couple of people have asked me If I can help them with modifying EEPROM dumps to get various clusters to work on their car

I am definitely willing to help anyone out with downloading / modifying and uploading EEPROMs for your Clusters.
(As long as people can obtain the dumps themselves, then I am willing to edit the dumps so as they work with a certain cluster / car).

The cheapest EEPROM programmer that I have found is this
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/USB-KEEProg- ... 6043626183

Then you will need a clip, that clips on the EEPROM, and connects to the Programmer. (This clip means that you do not need to desolder the EEPROM from the board).
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3M-SOIC-SOP- ... 1c1a7a2d9d

The doco needs to be updated, with information on how to use the clip
(Currently it has info on how to desolder the EEPROM, and use an adapter, which is the more difficult way of doing things).

If anyone is interested, please feel free to reply to this post, or P.M. me.

Cheers
Matti
ZerOne
Site Admin

Postby ZerOne » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:07 pm

Just a little bit more information regarding Late model / Series II Clusters

The problem that have with the late model / series II stuff at the moment is that there are differences between the series I and series II clusters.
I have been told that these differences are mostly wiring, (Mainly steering wheel button support) but I have not been able to get my hands on one, and work out exactly what the differences are.

Because of this, I cannot be sure if the EEPROM locations that I have worked out will apply to Series II clusters.
Once I get my hands on an EEPROM dump from a series II cluster, I will be able to work out right away if they have changed things or not.

I have also tried to buy a cheap Series II cluster from eBay, but I cannot afford to spend $150 or more on something that I dont need, and something that is just for experimentation only.

Hopefully someone can provide me with a EEPROM dump from a series II cluster, and we can go from there.
ZerOne
Site Admin

Postby ZerOne » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:44 pm

A quick post on how to remove / refit the cluster quickly

1) Remove the Plastic appliqué (Strip). This may be coloured silver, or woodgrain, or plain plastic depending on your model. (Start removing the tip from the drivers side, and work your way inwards.

2) With the strip removed remove the 3 screws holding the luster surround plastic just above the instrument cluster

3) Locate the 2 screws holding the bottom of the cluster surround and remove

4) Pop the 2 clips off holding the cluster surround to the steering column rubber surround

5) Next remove the four screws used to hold the cluster in place.

6) Disconnect the cluster and remove

ZerOne
Site Admin

Postby parmoda » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:38 pm

hey mate its amazing how you got this info im still having trouble with programing it where the ODO ( i have got the usb prog eeprom programer and the clip and every things cool just get confused when you about to edit the eeprom as there are a few numbers and letters on the location ) what should i edit
if you could help me out with this that will be great ( im happy to pay a fees for that as long get it done ) cheers mate hope hear from you my email . odo_adjust@hotmail.com
parmoda
Kicking Tyres

Postby parmoda » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:40 pm

i have already 9 omega ve caprice commodore clusters with diffrent colours i happy to help and give them away for free
just help me plz cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers
parmoda
Kicking Tyres

Postby ZerOne » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:53 am

Hi Parmoda,

I am always happy to help,
If you can upload the EEPROM(s) that you want modified, I can manually edit them with the ODO readings that you want.

When you upload the EEPROM, please state the model, as well as the engine, transmission and the part Number located on the back of the Cluster (Eg Omega, 3.0L 4 Speed Auto Cluster part 9222xxxx).

The Odo stuff is easy, but if you have the clusters there, and can read and upload the EEPROM data, then that helps everyone because there are still memory locations for different engine/transmission options that are unknown.
(I.E. We need a cluster dump to find out what these values are).

Cheers
Matti
ZerOne
Site Admin

Postby ZerOne » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:20 am

Ok, I have updated the programming cluster doco with some more values from a dumped HSV E1, and an SS Cluster.
Both the Transmission and engine details for these clusters are unknown. (Auto, Manual, AFM, Non AFM, etc)...

I think one more cluster dump from a known V8 Model (Auto or Manual), should be enough to work out what values are needed to create an EEPROM from scratch...

As for the 6 Cylinder stuff, there is a looooong way to go before I think we will be close to having the required information. :(

Cheers
ZerOne
Site Admin

Next

Return to GM Technical Document Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts